Author Topic: A7 Swing arm Bushes - fitting to Swing Arm  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 Swing arm Bushes - fitting to Swing Arm
« Reply #15 on: 28.02. 2018 18:04 »
Didn't the Greeves front end do something similar?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.02. 2018 18:50 »
Hi All,
I read, heard , or was told the S/A should be tightened up somewhere about the riding position, the rubber then provided some damping/ resistance to the movement,

That is the correct way to do it,

Rubber in torsion bushes are used in many auto applications

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #17 on: 28.02. 2018 19:42 »
These bushes are a complete b*****d *angry* *problem* *work* *rant*  I took mine to be removed by an engineer mate who's been restoring classics for years.  After pulling some faces, three hours (£75), an acetylene torch and burnt hands, we finally got them out.  Taking the s/a off was enough of a hassle as the spindle refused to budge, we had to destroy the rubber in the bushes then cut the spindle to release the s/a.  When the s/a was off, it was a case of trying to remove the outer metal shell of the bush from inside the s/a, which is almost impossible when removing the first one as you can't even bash it out from the other side.  Had to mangle the thing from one end and keep cutting/bashing until it gave up. *razz* *work* *pull hair out*
Then, on refitting, they pressed in ok but the spindle wouldn't fit.  The bushes had to be reamed out until the spindle would actually go through.  When I got to fitting the s/a to the frame, I discovered that the s/a eyes/lugs had been bent slightly and the spindle wouldn't go through.  Lost my temper and got a big hammer only to almost ruin my new spindle.  All this took me about a week (just to get the s/a sorted).  *doubt* *bash* *pull hair out* *sad* *angry* *problem* *razz* *evil*
I think my mate saw the fury but pointed out that, now fitted, the bushes would probably outlast me - one to leave for posterity. *eek*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 28.02. 2018 20:04 »
Been thinking...   *conf*
Weighing up the pros and cons I think I will return these as they are sub-standard . They are slack on the swing arm shaft to a point where I can "rattle " them side to side on the shaft. They are badly reamed out, not smooth , looks like someone has jiggled a small drillbit inside to get somewhere near the size as they are badly scored inside all over the place . Even If I turned the OD down to fit the swing arm the ID for the shaft will be no good, I will end up with a rickety swing arm .  *eek*

That’s a bugger, C&D Must have sold the last of its “good” batch then. The problem is most retail suppliers get their parts from the same manufacturer, so when one has it duff stock, they all have. The nz supplier, britishspares.com had all its stock of bushes turned down in size a few years ago after I returned some with the complaint they were over size (I saw them in the machine shop being modified) but I don’t know if they still have some left.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 28.02. 2018 21:12 »

Has anyone tried fitting bearings in the swing arm? Would need internal spacer(s). .............

Motto Gutzzis have tapered roller bearings- fully adjustable....  *wink2*

If machining them down I'd also expect that they'd be best done in pairs on a common spindle ?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 28.02. 2018 21:54 »
Similarly to the Guzzis, my 1959 BMW R60/1 had taper rollers on the swing arm and the Earls forks if I remember correctly.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 28.02. 2018 23:06 »
I read, heard , or was told the S/A should be tightened up somewhere about the riding position, the rubber then provided some damping/ resistance to the movement...
That could just be so the rubber is in as little preloaded torsion as possible to avoid early failure. I seem to remember in my young days when fitting rubber bushes to motor car suspensions that the vehicle had to have the suspension in normal position, (weight of car on) before tightening the nut, for the same reason.

The swinging arm A has hydraulically damped movement. How much effect would that rubber bush have?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

beezermacc

« Reply #22 on: 28.02. 2018 23:37 »
There is a useful step-by-step guide to removing and fitting swinging arm bushes on the Cheshire BSA website.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 01.03. 2018 09:32 »
The swinging arm A has hydraulically damped movement. How much effect would that rubber bush have?

Yes I wondered that but OTOH have you tried twisting a bush or lifting the S/A once it's installed correctly but not connected to the suspension dampers, I'm in two minds  on this one.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline gpo746

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #24 on: 01.03. 2018 10:14 »
There is a useful step-by-step guide to removing and fitting swinging arm bushes on the Cheshire BSA website.
Hello beezermacc , Maybe I'm thick  *doh* but I have just been on their website and I can't find it? do you have a link I could use please.
Thanks

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 01.03. 2018 10:32 »

..Yes I wondered that but OTOH have you tried twisting a bush or lifting the S/A once it's installed correctly but not connected to the suspension dampers, I'm in two minds  on this one.

To be honest Bill, yes I did when I had my RR late '70's, figured I should grease the 'bushes' but hit a road/silent-bloc  *pull hair out*...gave up and  *beer*- cheaper and easier.... I think in the end, I settled on; slack off the spindle and let it sit with machine weight (and maybe a bit)...kinda like G-B's idea, but that was long ago
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: 01.03. 2018 12:45 »
Has anyone tried fitting bearings in the swing arm? Would need internal spacer(s). Does the rubber serve a purpose or was it a cheapskate idea?

What are the required sizes: OD 32mm? Internal?

Replaced mine with bronze bushes. Rocksteady on the road. Wouldn't want anything else anymore
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11767.0
At the bottom there's a reply from edboy regarding needle bearings
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 01.03. 2018 16:23 »
  The bushes had to be reamed out until the spindle would actually go through.

Proof right there that they weren't the "correct" bushes as used by BSA. Silentbloc bushes, by their construction, would never need reaming before use, so some supplier has been buying in "near enough is good enough" industrial components.

Online Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 01.03. 2018 17:29 »
Probably right Rex, and those were from C&D so thought I'd be ok.  Similar thing happened with the lower fork bushes which simply wouldn't fit.  Had to keep taking thous off the inside of the lower fork until they fitted (very tight).  First time out I braked and the forks jammed in the depressed position - had to give the 'bars a sharp pull to release.
This was the first Brit bike I'd owned and restored (apart from a short fling with a B31).  I've subsequently learned that restos using 'pattern' parts is certainly not an exact science, and innovative adaptations are a must.  When I'm out on the road and the bike's purring along, all that swearing is quickly forgotten.  Now to stop oil p*****g out of the primary chain case!! *cry*
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #29 on: 01.03. 2018 19:12 »
these non fitting parts have been here for decades, any brit bike owner needs a lathe or and a miller or a mate who has them.an experience [ one of hundreds ] i had in the 80s was a gearbox sprocket from CD autos that was oval and made the chain 2inch slack then super tight. because said sprocket was brand new i was thinking bent mainshaft/ chain/ back drum oval etc. but once the new gearbox sprocket was set up in the lathe it was found to be all over the place. CD wouldnt swap it . problem solved with a good second hand one from autojumble. and dont get me started on the number of parts with crap threads that need nurseing for hours to get them to do there job