Author Topic: Replacement Speedo  (Read 2178 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Replacement Speedo
« Reply #30 on: 04.03. 2018 20:33 »
mmmm my bad i should have stayed in the pub, apologies greybeard ime totaly minced up today

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 06.03. 2018 04:48 »
 To go back to the original question, with regard to various Bicycle speedo options, Ive tried a few, the first two on my Gutzzi;

1> Cateye bicycle wired jobbie, which worked fine for a while but a wire broke internally, and after it not working for a while went 'missing' one night in town.
 2> Another wired Cateye that I spilled braked fluid onto and it dissolved  *eek*
 3> A different brand of wired type, which fell apart or failed for no reason after only a short time....at this time I decided a GPS one that I can use on both bikes would be better, so>
 4> Garmin GPS 'Edge 200' which came with two handlebar mounts (one for each bike *wink2*) but seemed to split the LCD when I dropped it   *pull hair out*...(unrelated, but Garmin backup was crap), so....replaced with>

5 > Bryton Rider 100?- basic and USB socket failed but replaced under warranty, had it about a year and a half...fits on the Garmin mounts, but not the other way...(Garmin>Bryton) It stops working sometimes but starts again...just a backup really- is handy 'cos I've set it to Km/h.

NB; Don't really need it now as both bike speedos now function (Original Vaguelia reads +10mph/Smiths Chrono reads -10%   *conf2*).

Just briefly re; system polarity, I originally had +ve earth, but was too confusing-kept blowing other things up so changed to -ve earth, but I think you also need to rearrange the brush wires in the dynamo-- the gurus can clarify that in a different thread

If I recall GB some time ago talked about installing a small inverter to run a GPS speedo/whereamIagain ?

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 06.03. 2018 06:24 »
Swapping brush wires is for changing dynamo direction of rotation, not polarity.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 06.03. 2018 09:17 »
If I recall GB some time ago talked about installing a small inverter to run a GPS speedo/whereamIagain ?
I don't think so. I did blather on about using a 6v to 12v voltage convertor device for lighting. I bought one but haven't done anything with it. I was persuaded that it wasn't a good idea. Also it's too big to hide on my machine.

Mostly irrelevant to this discussion: When I use my GPS I put a battery pack in my pocket and run a lead to the GPS. My current GPS has an earphone socket so I use earplugs to listen to the instructions. This means I don't need to have the GPS visible.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #34 on: 06.03. 2018 11:44 »
Hi at the start of this post you asked about the cheap Indian version and if it would work /was value for money , well I went down that route .For £25 I got a KM speedo which I sent back expecting never to hear again from the company . To my surprise they returned a MPH speedo within days , got a royal enfield speedo connecting ring/nut fitted to a BSA speedo cable by Vernhill engs for about £15 , fitted easy in about an hour and that included making a new plate to fit to the top yoke  and works great ,very steady ,doesn't look out of place and even better is bloody accurate , that will be for 3 yrs this year so I would suggest you consider this option ,regards Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 06.03. 2018 12:06 »
Topdad, did your bsa cable fit the indian speedo? All the indian speedos I've bought have been for 2.4 mm square drive cables. I have to strip the speedo and resize the drive square to receive the Smiths cable. I always buy clocks with 12mm fittings already instead of the RE type. These accept the standard connecting nut. Apart from all the faffing, I have found them to be a fair substitute for the originals.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #36 on: 06.03. 2018 12:13 »
Hi BSAreg , yes , I asked verhills to just change the speedo connect ring on a standard BSA speedo cable  from the smaller bsa to the larger RE size ,no problem use it to fit the speedo to the fitting plate I knocked up ,easy peasy  ,musky said he'd done similar as well, anything else ,aphoto etc just ask regards Bob
United Kingdom

Offline PatM20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #37 on: 06.03. 2018 15:47 »
Hi Bob

Thanks for this.

Did you fit the speedo to the top of the forks (cafe racer style)?

If so what length cable did you go for?

Regards

Pat

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #38 on: 06.03. 2018 16:14 »
yes ,I've a separate head light not a cowl so just fabricated a flat piece of plate metal and fitted it to the original holes on the top yoke ,I'll have to measure the length but I'm sure it's just a standard length from when the bike first came back on the road.  In the first instance I used a later A65 speedo holder with a rubber cup holding a magnetic speedo more for show it fitted to the left hand fork stanction now its more center and higher but not tight .
United Kingdom

Offline PatM20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #39 on: 06.03. 2018 16:18 »
Thanks Bob, just ordered one.

Bike is a bit away from needing one right now.

Regards

Pat

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #40 on: 07.03. 2018 10:03 »
Topdad, any chance you tell me who the supplier was ? It would be much quicker for me to modifiy the nut, than keep doing complete stripdowns ( you have to completely dismantle the clock to open the square for the inner cable ). Thanks.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA