Author Topic: One of those moments!  (Read 291 times)

Offline PatM20

• A's Best Friend
One of those moments!
« on: 14.03. 2018 07:50 »
Just finished the wiring loom. I used all the correct colour wiring, all crimps carefully hidden and heat shrunk it all nicely. Looked great.

But then the "Oh bugger" moment dawned. I forgot to include the horn and mag kill switch.

Good job I bought a big long length of the heat shrink!

Regards

Pat

ps I spoke with the guy at Classic Car LEDs (they are UK based) yesterday and they have spent a lot of time and money in developing a full/dip 6v LED P36D headlight bulb that will give a beam with a focus. It should be hitting the market in the next month or so; they don't want to start selling them until they are 100% sure that they do what they should. I have tried LED headlights in the past from one of their competitors and was very unimpressed; spent ages moving the bulb backwards and forwards trying to get some sort of focus, but couldn't. I will be giving these guys a go when their product hits market.

pps I bought one of the Indian 7" Lucas replica headlights (the full monty including three way switch and ammeter) for £55.00. It arrived within three days of ordering. It really wasn't bad for the money.
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: One of those moments!
« Reply #1 on: 14.03. 2018 09:14 »
I once tested a sub-loom I'd made up for my Sportster before I added the in line fuse.  Oops.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 14.03. 2018 16:38 »
Hi Pat have you ordered that speedo yet ?
Good Advice
No reactions
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline PatM20

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 14.03. 2018 17:55 »
Hi Bob

Bought this one for £22.00 inc. postage ebay no. 201259158937 from willenhall scooters. I think Feked,com sell the same thing for a lot more.

It includes cables (you have to choose the length) and a little light. The bulb had fallen into the speedo housing when I got it, but managed to jiggle it out.

The thread on the gearbox drive wasn't a good fit, but I took the view that the cable end thread was softer than the monkey metal on the drive. It went on without too much forcing.

I doubt it is waterproof, but nothing a bit of cling film and an elastic band can't sort out if you were planning a rainy run.

I took the view that I could go through say, 15 to 20 of these and still be quids in at that price.

I made a bracket from 3mm soft steel as that was all I had in the workshop and fitted it to the top of the forks. I don't like the thin brackets that you can get, they look like they would crack easily.  I use black mouse mats from ebay to pad all sorts of things and used this to cushion the speedo. I took the earth from the body of the bulb housing. My front end is Commando with a Lockheed disc so not too bothered as long as it looks OK to me.

Haven't tested it on the bike yet as the crank is being worked on.

Regards

Pat

Good Advice
No reactions