Author Topic: One of those moments!  (Read 295 times)

Offline PatM20

• A's Best Friend
One of those moments!
« on: 14.03. 2018 07:50 »
Just finished the wiring loom. I used all the correct colour wiring, all crimps carefully hidden and heat shrunk it all nicely. Looked great.

But then the "Oh bugger" moment dawned. I forgot to include the horn and mag kill switch.

Good job I bought a big long length of the heat shrink!

Regards

Pat

ps I spoke with the guy at Classic Car LEDs (they are UK based) yesterday and they have spent a lot of time and money in developing a full/dip 6v LED P36D headlight bulb that will give a beam with a focus. It should be hitting the market in the next month or so; they don't want to start selling them until they are 100% sure that they do what they should. I have tried LED headlights in the past from one of their competitors and was very unimpressed; spent ages moving the bulb backwards and forwards trying to get some sort of focus, but couldn't. I will be giving these guys a go when their product hits market.

pps I bought one of the Indian 7" Lucas replica headlights (the full monty including three way switch and ammeter) for £55.00. It arrived within three days of ordering. It really wasn't bad for the money.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: One of those moments!
« Reply #1 on: 14.03. 2018 09:14 »
I once tested a sub-loom I'd made up for my Sportster before I added the in line fuse.  Oops.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 14.03. 2018 16:38 »
Hi Pat have you ordered that speedo yet ?
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline PatM20

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 14.03. 2018 17:55 »
Hi Bob

Bought this one for £22.00 inc. postage ebay no. 201259158937 from willenhall scooters. I think Feked,com sell the same thing for a lot more.

It includes cables (you have to choose the length) and a little light. The bulb had fallen into the speedo housing when I got it, but managed to jiggle it out.

The thread on the gearbox drive wasn't a good fit, but I took the view that the cable end thread was softer than the monkey metal on the drive. It went on without too much forcing.

I doubt it is waterproof, but nothing a bit of cling film and an elastic band can't sort out if you were planning a rainy run.

I took the view that I could go through say, 15 to 20 of these and still be quids in at that price.

I made a bracket from 3mm soft steel as that was all I had in the workshop and fitted it to the top of the forks. I don't like the thin brackets that you can get, they look like they would crack easily.  I use black mouse mats from ebay to pad all sorts of things and used this to cushion the speedo. I took the earth from the body of the bulb housing. My front end is Commando with a Lockheed disc so not too bothered as long as it looks OK to me.

Haven't tested it on the bike yet as the crank is being worked on.

Regards

Pat