Author Topic: motorcycle - chain = walking  (Read 431 times)

Offline hdawson

• A's Best Friend
motorcycle - chain = walking
« on: 23.03. 2018 03:07 »
I threw a chain today. *eek*
Luckily I was pulling off at the lights not far from home as half an hour earlier I was fanging through the twisties on the peninsula. Never happened to me in 35 of riding and pretty sobering.
Needless to say I will now be riveting all my chains as per my modern Triumph.
Good Advice
No reactions

61 BSA Super Rocket (cafe).
51 Matchless G9 Clubman.
81 Suzuki GSX 750 ES.
02 Triumph Sprint.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: motorcycle - chain = walking
« Reply #1 on: 23.03. 2018 08:56 »

The only time I can *recall* throwing a chain is after I re-installed my Road Rocket 6 spring clutch after it fell off at 2am on the Burringbar Range- I forgot to put the circlip back on the primary chain...only made it 20 or 30K so hitched a ride back  and found it on the kerb- right where I left it  *smile*, did the next 500+600 ile return with not too much drama.....

So hadaw (as opposed to 'haddo')- did it break ?...or did you also 'lose' a circlip...?   How does one 'rivet' a chain ?  *conf2*
Good Advice
No reactions
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.03. 2018 12:23 »
I've done a few, mostly when as an impoverished youngster I used to run the chains right out on life. On a 250RS I was commuting that did two sets of chains and sprockets a year I even had a large g/box sprocket that I'd fit to get another two weeks out of a stretched chain when I ran out of adjustment. That eventually ended in tears of course.

Broke one on a '79 Bonneville up on the A1 (by Scotch Corner) at about 85 per. That was exciting.

I've still got a split link with a broken back plate as a memento from when I managed to nurse it home some 25 miles on a Rotax Armstrong.
Good Advice
No reactions
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.chesterfield uk 500sscafe.norbsa project
« Reply #3 on: 23.03. 2018 13:25 »
shock the HORROR!i took my primary case off last year just to see if things were ok and found the split link resting in the bottom luckily the plate was hanging on for its life
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 23.03. 2018 14:36 »
I always carry a spare spring link, the only time I didn't was of course the only time the spring link let go. How I laughed when I realised there was no spring link in the tool kit.
Good Advice
No reactions
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 23.03. 2018 15:52 »
On the return trip to Dallas from Pennsylvania on my Norton Commando, the final drive chain broke right throught the side plates at 70mph 40 miles west of Memphis, Tennessee. Wiped out the tail light and chain guard, busted the inner primary case, dropping a large chunk into the primary, which ruined the primary chain and sprockets. Using a rope, my brother towed me into Memphis, where we rented a U-Haul and got it home. Fortunately, I had a parts bike in the shed at home. Never bought another Diamond brand chain.
Good Advice
No reactions

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.03. 2018 16:23 »
I had a chain break while I was a motorcycle courier in 1976. I was riding the company Honda 500 Four. Luckily there was no damage done! Strange to open the throttle, hear the engine race but at the same time slow down!
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 23.03. 2018 16:42 »
I had a high powered Suzuki overtake me on full throttle. The chain snapped and went backwards past me like a bullet, if it had hit me "curtains".
Good Advice
No reactions

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 23.03. 2018 19:56 »
Back when I was a kid my Montessa GPMX360 snapped chains like they were spaghetti. A full day at Menai would do two chains and 4-6 joiner links.
Cheers
Good Advice
No reactions
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 23.03. 2018 20:11 »
"joiner link"? I like that. Makes a lot more sense than master link (as we call it in the USA).
Good Advice
No reactions

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 23.03. 2018 20:16 »
Eeek! Don't frighten me.

Had it happen once on a Golden Flash with a Canterbury Double Adult sidecar attached going up a steep hill. Something I'm wary of now, so I like to play safe and just fitted new Regina primary and secondary chains to my current GF in October.
Good Advice
No reactions

1960 Golden Flash