Author Topic: swing arm clutch cable mounting  (Read 548 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
swing arm clutch cable mounting
« on: 24.03. 2018 16:07 »
 I  can see how the threaded lug on the gearbox gets stripped out.

Its very hard to get the adjuster straight with the lug to get the threads started. I wonder if I should have put the adjuster and cable onto the inner gearbox cover before I bolted it on. *conf*

Is there a secret to doing this? I have 1.5 inches of thread on the adjuster which seems long but its what I have to work with.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: swing arm clutch cable routing
« Reply #1 on: 24.03. 2018 16:53 »
I have always found ready made cable length and fit to be a bit of a lottery. However my clutch is very light in operation (one finger) and the cable is routed from the clutch handle bar lever down to the left hand side of the gas tank and it follows the lower top frame tube and then is routed down beside frame and behind the front of tool box. By that I mean between the frame tube and the front end of the tool box then threaded through the ski slope. The important thing is to try and get nice sweeping curves.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: swing arm clutch cable mounting
« Reply #2 on: 24.03. 2018 18:09 »
Is there a secret to doing this? I have 1.5 inches of thread on the adjuster which seems long but its what I have to work with.
Not sure how you are going about fitting the cable, but you might find it easier to connect the cable if you do the gearbox end first and leaving the cable free, then once you have done this thread the cable up under the tank and connect to the lever.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.03. 2018 18:16 »

I have two ski slopes, a rusty original I got in a parts lot and a repop I got a long time ago. I was trying to use the repop because it was painted to match everything else.

Comparing the two, the repop is shaped differently, and the hole for the cable is much higher and smaller. There also is no boss for the air cleaner.

I subbed in the original, the cable is still in a hell of a spot but its not such a tight bend. I was able to barely get the threaded adjuster started without cross threading it.

Now to get the original painted, and I think that will be sorted out.  *smile*

Thank you,
Lee

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.03. 2018 18:29 »
 The angle the cable came in on the generic ski slop, I almost needed to make a 90 degree bend in the space between the mounting plates. I was starting to doubt the cable going through the slope at all and was trying to figure out how they routed around. :!

When this is all done, I should have enough craptastic extra parts to build one super SH(##Y spare bike. *eek* Maybe put the whole mess on E-Bay with the words Gold Star in the ad. :o

Lee