Author Topic: ball races headache  (Read 743 times)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
ball races headache
« on: 29.04. 2018 23:10 »
I have not been to the pub, I am putting a box together and bought the two bearings for the mainshaft and the sleeve gear.the races are NKE [nike Austria quality assurance *shh*],so as you do I got the bearings in the sandwich case and main body *smile*, when I tried to get the sleeve gear in it did not want to go any further than the end of the gearbox sprocket grooves *problem* *help* *idea*so I got some old bearings[ plenty of them ,[ make good packers for millering etc]and tried them on 3 sleeve gears and they all gently tapped on and came off without *work* *conf2*now drastic action was required so sleeevy gear went in lathe and after much emerying and trial fitting eventually sleevy gear slotted home with gentle tapping *clap* *pull hair out* *work* this was a long job to do. now it was time to put the sandwich plate on, NO WAY *problem* *pull hair out* so I got mainshaft out and tried some old bearings which of corse slotted home as they should *good3* so mainshaft in lathe and much emerying again and eventually I was happy with the fit ;D .SO all the old bearings have got the stamping numbers 6207 [ the big ones] and LS8 the small races] all made in England,The new races are stamped 6207 the biggy and LJ3/4 the small one which I understand is the equivilant to the LS8 so why is there a marked difference in these races that would never have fitted even if hit with a 7Lb hammer *????*  *rant* ps I am going to the pub tmow to celebrate because if I hadn't got a lathe etc I would be up the creek without a paddle and riding one of those other bikes . pps thanks for reading *woo*

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: ball races headache
« Reply #1 on: 29.04. 2018 23:42 »

I had the same issue, not with the pub-just with the sleeve gear, was only at a couple of spots so out came the Dremel with a stone tip, didn't take so long  *beer*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #2 on: 30.04. 2018 00:40 »
well I had the mic on the sleeve gear and mainshaft where the smaller race fits and got a good thou  off  the buggers before I was happy with the fit because they were not going to fit in a month of sundays , and ive just remembered ive got a japenese equivelant drive side roller that doesn't want to go on a crank, whereas the others are a nice fit so there must be a thou or so difference with some makes of bearing. *dunno2* o well heres to tmow *beer*

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 01.05. 2018 22:03 »
When restoring old British iron, a lathe's your mate...  *wink2*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.05. 2018 09:20 »
I may have missed the nuances in the first post, but did BSA really fit metric (6207) bearings in with Imperial LJ3/4?
Maybe something's been modified in the past to use an available bearing...probably the 6207?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.05. 2018 09:26 »

I think they maybe did do that but I'll let someone confirm it- I've been playing with the Gutzzi too  *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 02.05. 2018 19:34 »
I may have missed the nuances in the first post, but did BSA really fit metric (6207) bearings in with Imperial LJ3/4?
Maybe something's been modified in the past to use an available bearing...probably the 6207?

Oh yes they did:

http://classicrider.dk/dokuments/ServiceSheets/sectionX_BSAservicesheetno703.pdf
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.05. 2018 21:30 »
That's a chart of interchangeable bearings and the relevant part numbers. For an LJ35 a 6207 would also fit, being sized at 35 X 72 X17, and an LJ25 would interchange with a 6205.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 02.05. 2018 21:40 »
well I'm not sure there ever was a time when it was one or the other, pistons, bores for instance, and I bet there were others
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco