Author Topic: Introduction to my colourful pst.  (Read 1446 times)

Offline fixit58

• Active
  • Hard done to? People are sleeping in cardboard box
Introduction to my colourful pst.
« on: 30.03. 2018 20:18 »
Hello fellow BSA owners and aficionados, I have recently joined the A10 forums so please be kind cos I am an old git who is not very computer savvy. I am most likely to be posting in the wrong places at the wrong times. I am from where some of the best roads in Britain are, Scotland of course, and over the years have biked nearly everywhere there is to bike in the same day and back indeed 350 to 400 miles on a Sunday has been my regular day out for many years. I started work as an apprentice Truck mechanic, Bedford TK, KM and Atkinsons, got diesel dermatitis, moved to cars (Jaguar/Range rover mechanic for 18 years), eventually got pushed into office work as Foreman and hated it so much I gave up my trade and went to Heavy plant fitting and welding, retired from that 3 years ago and still work on the cars etc. but at my pace. Building trailers is what I like doing the most. I have had a very long association with bikes, my first, Ariel Arrow I went to school on in 1964, had most of the BSA range that were produced, Panthers, DOT scrambles,T110 combo's, Passed my test on an EX AA M21 outfit, biked most of Europe, TT, Ireland.... the list goes on. In fact since 1964 I have not been without a motorbike of some sorts in every passing year. To be honest, I have had japanese bikes for the past 30 years only down to the fact you can just jump on them and go. I always liked my BSA models so much that I bought a derelict unloved 59 Super Rocket with wrecked crankcases and restored it over the winter. As the crank and cases were so bad I had to do something else... T140 Bonneville engine, Plates from Unity Equipe, home made pedals and levers due to the LH change bonnie gearbox. (US imported engine). anyway, enough of the yapping. I hope you guys accept me for what I am, not what you would like me to be. I hope to be of some help to others during my time here. I hope the pictures of my current fleet are visible. 59 Super Rocket Tribsa, 1961 Trobike,1961 750 Triton to be finished, 1970 mk3 Cheney BSA 440,1980 Honda CB900C 10 speed, and Honda VFR 750 FV.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Introduction to my colourful pst.
« Reply #1 on: 30.03. 2018 20:41 »
G'day fixit58  *welcome*
Great collection of bikes both past and now, luv the Cheney. The SRT140 looks great.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 30.03. 2018 22:17 »
Thanks for the intro, you surely have much useful contributions to offer.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #3 on: 30.03. 2018 22:24 »
We do have some pretty good roads up here. Was out on some this morning - a trip to the pie shop.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 30.03. 2018 23:26 »
hi fixit, is the `Tribsa`electric push button start? cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.03. 2018 09:49 »
Hi and welcome.

You have a motorbike with 10 gears!!!!!? I remember when Honda brought out a 250 and a 350 that had 6 gears and I could not see the point; in town you spent most of the time shifting gears!
Of course on a bike you cannot easily skip a gear, like you can in a car.

I used to have a Ford Consul, (1958) that had a column gear shift with only three forward gears. First for pulling away, third for cruising, everything else second gear; ideal in town as it was like driving an automatic.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 31.03. 2018 10:06 »
Welcome fixit58
Like the Tribsa, note your two bins more civilised than us just over the border, (we do have a 20 acre field just back of the garden tho *shh*)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 31.03. 2018 12:42 »
mate of mine had a Honda either 750 or maybe 900 with  I think 12 gears? in the 80s just seen one on googly it was 900 custom 10 speed

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 31.03. 2018 13:48 »
5 speed dual range like a farm bike? Ride in low range and once in 5th change to high range to get overdrive.
Cheers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB900C
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 31.03. 2018 14:01 »
mate of mine had a Honda either 750 or maybe 900 with  I think 12 gears? in the 80s
Why? Must have been a horrible machine to ride in town! It's not as if the bike is going to struggle in any gear, unless it's pulling a loaded double adult sidecar or a camping trailer.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 01.04. 2018 00:40 »
We do have some pretty good roads up here. Was out on some this morning - a trip to the pie shop.

And how IS Mrs. Lovett? *smiley4*

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 02.04. 2018 08:49 »
Nothing wrong with a well done TriBsa,., I was debating discussing a project of mine but wondered If I would get the heave-ho for discussing it on here.  (Although I prefer Preunit TriBsa, Tritons and such) But I have a good friend who build a "Horton" which was a 750 Norton Commando rolling chassis (Because Hondas handle poorly) and stuck in a hotted up CB750 SOHC motor with 810 kit and perf camshaft. (Because Norton motors were rubbish in his opinion) and we took it to the INOA Norton rally and most people did not know what to make of it, But Phil Radford, Norton Guru proclaimed it a brilliant machine.
Eddys said "It goes like the clappers" and I rode it and agree.
Would love to see more on your TRIBSA myself, cant say everyone would approve but thats my $0.02
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline fixit58

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 02.04. 2018 14:50 »
Hello kiwipom, no unfortunately its kickstart but easy starter with the Pazon kit fitted.

Offline fixit58

• Active
« Reply #13 on: 02.04. 2018 15:02 »
Yes greybeard 10 gears, Honda made them in 900 guise 1980 to 1983 when they brought out a 1000C version just for 1983. They done it ,apparently, as an engineering exercise and "Because they could". The high/low sub transmission was used for the steep inclines some US cities have but normal use on the flats would be High range selected (same as a normal 5 speed bike). It attracts some weird questions at the "watering" holes.

Offline fixit58

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 02.04. 2018 15:14 »
Reply for sluggo, yep. totally agree, Tribsa was the way to go as the DA10sr crankcases were totally wrecked and ,at the time, couldn't get decent replacements hence the Bonnie motor. (In my opinion was a tad better had 5 gears and more reliable over long distances than Armoury road stuff ever was). I think I may start a debate here. Had a few Tribsa's in my youth, Best ever one was a CB32 Gold star frame, T100 all alloy motor with twin monobloc home made manifolds, RRt2 gearbox, triumph clutch and all the 60's goodies I could embellish on it. Plenty polished alloy. SWEET!!