Author Topic: Tank sealer  (Read 862 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Tank sealer
« on: 31.03. 2018 11:30 »
Has anyone found a proven, long term, ethanol proof tank sealer. ?
There seem to be a lot of sealers out there but, there are a few stories about sealer failing after a short period.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tank sealer
« Reply #1 on: 31.03. 2018 11:42 »
I used POR15, not to seal a leak but to deal with rust. It's been solid now for six years: https://goo.gl/LE9DD8. I'm in the UK; we may not have as much ethanol as other places.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 31.03. 2018 14:01 »
I used POR15, not to seal a leak but to deal with rust. It's been solid now for six years: https://goo.gl/LE9DD8. I'm in the UK; we may not have as much ethanol as other places.
Thanks GB. That is what I want it for.
My tank is pretty much rust free and I would like it to stay that way.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 31.03. 2018 14:06 »
I used POR15...
Thanks GB. That is what I want it for.
My tank is pretty much rust free and I would like it to stay that way.
I'm sure you are about to be advised not to do what I did. Cleaning the rust out is supposed to be quite easy, (as long as you have some nails and screws a cement mixer and an old duvet).

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 31.03. 2018 14:20 »
Was the £49.99 kit enough for your tank (4 gall) ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.03. 2018 17:22 »
Was the £49.99 kit enough for your tank (4 gall) ?

Yes, it was. Shop around; I'm sure I've seen that kit cheaper.

Tip: When I needed to thoroughly dry the tank after degreasing I wedged the hose from our vacuum cleaner in the filler hole using rags and left it sucking air through from the tap holes for half an hour.  ;)

Offline Flashgreubon

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 31.03. 2018 17:31 »
Hi,
 I used them all over the years ,starting with Kreem,Caswell, Tank Care Products and POR15.
POR 15 is the easiest to use and does not require a silly temperature of 55C to flow.(Tank Care Stuff)
 As well , you get some patching mat to cover holes you might have at the bottom of your tank, works a treat!

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 31.03. 2018 18:37 »
I've ordered a kit, two 3/8 BSP plugs and 1/4 & 3/8 BSP taps to clean out the threads.
Do I need to protect the paintwork ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 31.03. 2018 20:32 »
I've ordered a kit, two 3/8 BSP plugs and 1/4 & 3/8 BSP taps to clean out the threads.
Do I need to protect the paintwork ?
Take great care to not get any of that stuff on anything that you don't want it on. It sticks like shyte!

Online Sav

• A's Best Friend
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • Ashley, Ripple & Studdal Enthusiasts
« Reply #9 on: 01.04. 2018 09:58 »
I used Tapox on my A7SS which gave an excellent covering, so far durable.

The main difficulty I had was ventilating the tank to get the sealant solvent out and prevent runs.

I used a small CPU fan off an old PC motherboard in the finish, left it running half covering the filler opening for a week and all was well.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 New addition 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes. Turned out to be the most unreliable bike I have handled.
2017 finally found the liner/barrel were flexing and causing all the overheating/nipping up. Early B33 barrel fitted and it's reliable at last!

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 01.04. 2018 11:45 »
I used Tapox on my A7SS which gave an excellent covering, so far durable.

The main difficulty I had was ventilating the tank to get the sealant solvent out and prevent runs.

I used a small CPU fan off an old PC motherboard in the finish, left it running half covering the filler opening for a week and all was well.

I was thinking about using the vacuum cleaner like GB and my late wife's hair dryer to warm the tank from the outside.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #11 on: 01.04. 2018 12:45 »
You got me worrying about whether I should worry about this now, so I have gone and looked at the A7 tank and just a few small reddish patches, not even sure its rust. So is there any point in lining a ‘good’ tank that has not rusted whilst in use for the last 5 years.
Dam looked in Norton tank and its got a ‘nice’ layer of what is defiantly rust so regardless of reply one to do I suppose.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.04. 2018 13:43 »
Hi Roy,
So is there any point in lining a ‘good’ tank that has not rusted whilst in use for the last 5 years.

NO  *ex*

Electrolysis is the easiest way to clean the other tank and then preserve the insides with a coat of oil if not in use

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #13 on: 01.04. 2018 16:11 »
Electrolysis is the easiest way to clean the other tank and then preserve the insides with a coat of oil if not in use

Its in use but I had not looked inside like that before.
Electrolysis, electric in and around a petrol tank (even empty and cleaned) one little spark and *warn* *problem* *sad*

Did a search MikeB says he did it but every article I can see talks about immersing the object in a container. Now the outside paint is good on the tank so I dont really want to do that. Could I just put the liquid inside then connect the tank to a the negative side of a battery and carefully put a positive electrode into the liquid in the tank without touching the sides.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 01.04. 2018 16:51 »
Hi All,
Could I just put the liquid inside then connect the tank to a the negative side of a battery and carefully put a positive electrode into the liquid in the tank without touching the sides.

Yes, That is how I did the tanks
I made a wooden bung to act as an insulator, driled a hole through it for a push fit to a bent metal rod
The only thing is that you need to remove the bung and clean the rust off it fairly often at the start
Connect a headlamp bulb and fuse in series with the circuit to keep the current limited *bright idea*
This also protects against short circuits *warn*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)