Author Topic: Swing arm rear fender  (Read 391 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Swing arm rear fender
« on: 30.03. 2018 06:50 »
 My painted parts are back, and I am into the final assembly.

All I have to lift the rear tire off the ground is the center stand.

Getting the rear fender on with the wheel in place looks impossible, the two U-shaped brackets near the front are inaccessible to me.

Getting the rear wheel on with the fender in place looks impossible because the rear of the fender is too low.

What is the secret to this without scratching up my baby-soft new paint?

There must have been a way to patch a tube on the roadside using only the center stand, right? *conf*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Swing arm rear fender
« Reply #1 on: 30.03. 2018 08:24 »
G'day Lee.
On the roadside to get the wheel off you would use the c/stand on the top edge of a gutter. At home I back the bike onto a 6x4 and place same under the c/stand and heave. Or get the wife to tilt the bike whilst it's on the stand and you wrestle the wheel out.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 30.03. 2018 08:49 »
I undo all the wheel spindle and torque arm, slide the wheel spindle out, then stand on the left side of the bike and lean it towards me, this gives enough room to wriggle the wheel out on the right hand side. Same method for refitting.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.03. 2018 09:36 »
Ah, thats where i went wrong. I live in the land of soft gravel edges and steep ditches. Very few curbs to get any height on the bike.

I will have to walk into the woods and find a suitable log maybe...

I don't think I would be physically able to pull off Beezermaccs trick. *eek*

I think what I will do for now is get some 2 foot by 2 foot sheets of plywood. I will be able to Jack the bike up in small enough increments that the whole thing cannot get away from me. I will just have to lower it down in reverse order.

Thank you for the help.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.