Author Topic: A65 Front Conical Hub Brakes ! Not A10.  (Read 669 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Re: A65 Front Conical Hub Brakes ! Not A10.
« Reply #15 on: 26.04. 2018 15:40 »
I like that last answer, thank you.

Online Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 26.04. 2018 16:33 »
[These are cracking brakes when properly set up. I use Ferodo AM14 linings as per original and it's as good as any twin leader out there and better than most.

Yep, they are good brakes.....just a shame they look so crappy compared with the earlier FW TLS brake with it's sexy little chrome air intake.. ;)

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 28.04. 2018 10:24 »

I appreciate there are adjusters on these two leading shoes types, but will they take up the cable slack in the cable. Seems like the cable is about 1" too long. Thank you.

I re-read this,and seems I overlooked the actual question due to assuming you had already adjusted as per normal, erroneous on my part...then concentrated on the diversional 'cable too long'...
I sussed mine out, and with the adjusters backed right off to 'zero' (12&14 clicks respectively), and the top adjuster wound right out, the shoes are only just about to contact (~30mm travel at bottom levers).
   I re-adjusted the clickers back to start point, (much the same as Servo's suggestion), and comes up to 4 full-turns of the hand-lever adjuster....
  So in a nutshell, give the adjustment a whirl, and see where it ends up, but would still be handy if you can give info to compare (ie cable overhang ) and let us know how you get on
  I think I got it right this time    (I took photos if you need 'em)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 28.04. 2018 12:17 »
Hi Dutch, photos would be good. I don't want to remove the wheel again. Thank you.

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 29.04. 2018 00:26 »
 Lucky I have a spare shoe-plate; I've orientated it and the wheel (roughly) as it would be on the bike for access to the bottom left adjuster (both at ends of screwdrivers) behind rubber plug. Top one will (obviously) be @ ~180ยบ from pictured bottom position and just behind the fork legs.

If you don't know what adjustment you have, wind them both ANTI-clock back to 'zero' and and start again (do it anyway & slowly & count the clicks, when it's back at start you'll feel it turn a bit then resist and spring back )
 Make sure the hand-lever adjuster is backed right off, and start clicking away-do it slowly and count the clicks  *eek* as per Servo's post;
. Back off the handlebar adjuster totally or even disconnect the cable at that end, adjust each micro adjuster in the hub. Screw it in until it becomes solid then back it off one click. When you have done this on both adjusters the levers will be as near as dam it 90 deg when pulled up solid. Reconnect the cable at the handlebar and adjust as normal. If the cable is still too long there's something wrong with the cable.

* the only reason for counting the clicks is so you know where you're at (reference/record it)....I also spin the wheel backwards a few times and pull the brake on thinking it *may* help self-centre  *dunno*

With regard to the previously mentioned 6"conical version; I can't find anything in the spares lists of singles twins or triples (no surprise there)
  There's plenty of mention with a general internet search, so maybe made for Tri****s  *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Servodyne

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 29.04. 2018 22:42 »
Another thing worth noting about the effectiveness of these brakes is that there were two different lengths of lever supplied. The more common length is 1.5", but there was a longer one at 1.875". This gave a 25% increase in leverage for a single lever, but because this design was 'double' acting, this equated to a very useful overall increase of 50%. Both levers can be used with the standard cable which is not always the case when people simply weld extensions to the shorter levers.
1957 BSA A10 Spitfire
1971 BSA A65 Firebird
1971 BSA A70 Lightning
1975 Norton Commando

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 29.04. 2018 23:57 »

yep dem's da ones I mentioned earlier, but for the price  *eek*... I think they have the same Tri***h # with a 'A' after (?) this one has 'L' and cheaper than I recall the ones from MutzNutz (?);

http://thebonnevilleshop.com/triumph-bsa-conical-hub-extended-front-brake-lever-set-pn-37-3986-37-3987-l/
Australia

Online Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 30.04. 2018 00:07 »
On FeeBay currently is a 1973 BSA/Triumph OIF B50 single (500cc thumper) that is nearly the same as the one I have here in my shop,  Mine is more "Barnfind" and crusty from decades of sitting literally in  PNW-USA barn but IS all original-1 owner and very LOW mileage and happy to post pictures of the cables, routing or brakes
But it has the small diameter Conicals. 

The bike on feebay is in a way interesting, (*Note the goofy exhaust,, what the hell were they thinking??) But I would be hard pressed to leave a bike like this all stock.   The one I have here, I am converting it to a Cafe racer for the son of the original owner, but nothing that cant be restored back original.

Its possible such conical brakes are used on other models, but I am unaware of any....   

I Have a Rickman as well, and its pretty clear the OIF BSA/Triumph forks were copies of the Cerrani, Betors and other similar period designs, and looking at the small conicals they resemble the Rickman brakes as well..

(Not sure who made them, my bike was originally a Rickman Montessa, I wanted to stuff a B50 motor in it, but wont fit, so instead I am stuffing in a 72 Triumph 500 Daytona T100R motor)
As mentioned, if pictures help, I am happy to snap & post mine here....

Link to FeeBay bike......:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-BSA-B50MX/142771238575?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

(*Note this bike has the SAME crappy aftermarket headlight, headlight bracket and tail light assy as we have here on the bike i have in my shop.  Also note the tacked on Smiths gauge.)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 30.04. 2018 06:22 »

Ok that's progress to show that the 6" Conical fronts did exist, but it's not a TLS as I'd had in mind ... *dunno2*
Australia