Author Topic: 1951 crinkle hub  (Read 491 times)

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
1951 crinkle hub
« on: 18.02. 2018 16:24 »
Anyone know if the later crinkle hub (B25 etc)  with one threaded retainer and one speedo drive can be used/modified to fit in place of a 1951 plunger (two threaded retainers) crinkle hub?
Searched the archives and it's not clear if they're interchangeable or not.
Thanks.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1951 crinkle hub
« Reply #1 on: 18.02. 2018 23:42 »
 I can't say for sure but someone asked a similar thing recently, I think added onto a much older thread.
 I was using a wheel that may be from an early swing arm but with a later ('60's) bolt- on sprocket, and it worked but just wasn't right. The R/H bearing housing is shorter by about the length of the retainer threads, maybe they come like that or removed  *dunno*, so not much for the weathercover to seat on.
 If the one you have in mind has an external *thread* for Speedo drive it may also impede the weather cover,  but out slots I reckon it should work,  but someone with that experience will know better. I *think* I looked once and all the late '60's models had the same hub

edit; replaced 'tugged' for *thread*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 02.05. 2018 07:32 »
I am not certain on any of this and was hoping someone conclusively answered,   *dunno*

But The Plunger frame bikes have a different style brake plate and a weird raindrop type tab/opening on the plate that is critical to fit against the frame, I dont think you can use other brake plates.  I too wonder about the hub itself, Seems to me, (MAY BE WRONG) But later unit singles and twins, the hubs DONT interchange with each other.  At least looking at some wheels recently of which brake plates go to which.

Might be able to cross reference some in parts books.   But I am sorting wheels right now as well, and have what I *THINK* is the right/correct rear wheel assy for a early plunger twin.  And looking thru my wheels to match up something to a 51 Rigid twin.   I also have a plunger rear assy for a single complete with axle, hub and brake assy and will be doing some comparisons to see if there is a difference between the singles and twins on early ones.  As well as can i use multiple years hubs.

Be happy to post up some pictures and measurements.  (Sorting a jigsaw puzzle of parts and bikes/projects)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 02.05. 2018 09:23 »

.........But The Plunger frame bikes have a different style brake plate and a weird raindrop type tab/opening on the plate that is critical to fit against the frame, I dont think you can use other brake plates.............

That is true

I too wonder about the hub itself, Seems to me, (MAY BE WRONG) But later unit singles and twins, the hubs DONT interchange with each other.  At least looking at some wheels recently of which brake plates go to which

I think it's possible to use a later hub on a earlier wheel, but maybe not the other way ?....except a '54/55 S/a on a plunger will work...as per ^above^ post *citation necessary* *smile*....I did look at the lists, but forget if I got it right or not

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia