Author Topic: Stolen A10 plunger  (Read 769 times)

Offline Blake700

• Active
Stolen A10 plunger
« on: 29.04. 2018 23:02 »
I have just discovered that my trusty old A10 that I have had for the past 50 years has been removed from my shed without my consent and I am a wee bit upset. Its reg no was KBJ 203 but no doubt that will be removed. It was taken from Holt Norfolk so if you hear of one doing the rounds please let me know. It looks like the photos except a bit older, dustier and rustier. Any help to get the old beast back would be greatly appreciated.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Stolen A10 plunger
« Reply #1 on: 29.04. 2018 23:47 »

Hiya Blake- that sucks big-time I haven't been to the UK since '81 so wasn't me but I hope you get it back soon.

Someone else recently reported something else knocked off too- lynchin' was a hot topic !
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 29.04. 2018 23:49 »
I am very sorry to hear of your loss, most distressing!  Being thousands of miles away, Its unlikely I can help at all but a suggestion to the rest of you.

In the military they were obsessive about labeling everything and it seemed quarterly we were offered and STRONGLY suggested we do as well for personal items, especially high dollar items.  I still have items I used a metal engraver on from back then.  Most would engrave our service number or SSI#.
Early on as a young lad, I had an old biker suggest the same on your motorcycle.  When its ALL apart being rebuilt,  engrave everything somehow with a unique mark.   Some choose to do it in a obvious and visible way so anyone looking at knows its marked but some do it in hidden spots.

Not a bad idea to stamp the VIN number or something similar on parts to make them easily ID'ed at Autojumbles/swap meets.   Try not to ruin restoration value in the process,,

More and more data bases are being linked and connected.  I know of several accounts of vehicles being discovered long after being stolen,,  One, a cautionary tale of a bike stolen 20-30 years ago, been thru multiple owners and REGO, But what had been an average old bike had been restored to a high level and being exported to Australia.  (early 1950s Triumph IIRC)   It was seized by customs and was very unfair how it was handled.

I know a UK fellow last year who came here to the US and bought a bunch of old bikes and ships them back to the UK which is not uncommon at all. I sold him a few and it was on hold for a while as part of the shipment had questions, turns out ONE of the machines had been stolen.   There was multiple people who sold this guy machines and in the exchange of emails it was suggested that perhaps one of my bikes was the issue.  (There was Bills of sale and title issues as well on 2 other machines).   It turns out a California guy had the paperwork issues as well as supplied the stolen bike unknowingly, So i had a bit of a laugh of
"Wasnt me you XXXXX"

The stolen bike had been a insurance case and stolen back in the late 1970s and after review, Customs allowed it to proceed as it was pretty clear no one recently had anything to do with it, It had been stolen, insurance paid, then recovered and resold BUT it showed up on a customs search, So...........Hopefully sooner and not later your bike is found.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 29.04. 2018 23:56 »
Welcome to the forum, although a sad circumstance.

Good luck, hoping the deliquents get caught and flogged.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.04. 2018 09:12 »
I've been reading about motorbikes being stolen and the owner being asked for money to get it back. A lovely old Triumph was taken; the owner eventually agreed to pay the little shits but by then they had torched it while filming it and put the footage on Facebook.  *sad2*

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-general-news/bike-thieves-torch-classic-triumph-following-failed-ransom-demand

I've been a bit smug about my Plunger A10 getting stolen; I tend to think the more exotic machines; Vincents etc. are more at risk, so I'm shocked that your lovely Plungy was taken. I really hope you get your precious back and in good condition. *sad2*

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 30.04. 2018 09:21 »
G'day Blake, really sorry to hear this.
A timely reminder to all members to upgrade your security.
I was looking at Data Dots for my bikes. There is also a new one that has GPS tracking. Cost is quite a few $$$ but how much do you love your bike?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.04. 2018 09:39 »

Nothing is immune- I lost a bus one night (11.05Mtr x 2.4M x 3.3 Mtr);8yrs ago, drove in with a super-tilt, backed up and skull-dragged the bus on the tilter, and drove away ..all the skidmarks told the story
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 30.04. 2018 14:20 »
When I worked in a high bike-theft area, I stamped the registration number on all possible components - some obviously, some hidden (inside gearbox casings etc). The theory being that the potential thieves would realise that components would be easier to trace - or require work to remove the stampings. It may have helped. They still got my wife's Moto Guzzi though. Stolen from hospital grounds. Came off a night shift, no transport. Eventually got the heavily disguised bike back, nabbed the tea leaf. Who ran a bike breakers yard...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 30.04. 2018 14:33 »
Blake, could you also post the engine and frame numbers as the registration number would have been removed by now. I'd also contact the BSAOC and it's branches with the details. Other places would be the Brit Bike Forum and the BSA Singles and Twins Facebook group.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.04. 2018 14:37 »
...nabbed the tea leaf. Who ran a bike breakers yard...
Is he out of hospital yet?  *bash*

Offline Blake700

• Active
« Reply #10 on: 30.04. 2018 16:47 »
Thanks for all the sympathy.
Muskrat, as regards the frame number I stupidly didn't keep a record after I changed it for one that was less bent. The last noted engine which I think is still the current one is ZA 10 10799. Can't imagine its made it to Australia yet but you never know!  Will also follow up on your advice on otther places I could post some info. Thanks

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.04. 2018 16:56 »
I hope you had it insured.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Blake700

• Active
« Reply #12 on: 30.04. 2018 17:16 »
Insured? Thanks for reminding me that there was something else I'd forgotten to do!

Offline nimrod650

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 04.05. 2018 17:41 »

Nothing is immune- I lost a bus one night (11.05Mtr x 2.4M x 3.3 Mtr);8yrs ago, drove in with a super-tilt, backed up and skull-dragged the bus on the tilter, and drove away ..all the skidmarks told the story
came out of pub had to much to drink so i took the bus home arrived home safe Never driven a bus before

Offline RayC10

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #14 on: 06.05. 2018 07:25 »
Thanks for posting, reminds us that the shits get everywhere.