Author Topic: Stolen A10 plunger  (Read 768 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Stolen A10 plunger
« Reply #15 on: 09.05. 2018 17:10 »
I've upgraded my shed security!

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 09.05. 2018 18:49 »
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 09.05. 2018 19:56 »
Thanks, Roy. I was thinking I should upgrade my locks. I've ordered the smallest armoured lock. I may get more later.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 09.05. 2018 20:26 »
 I was a security guard for 10 years. People are stunned when I show them how easy it is to break in.
Locks are only to keep honest people out. A size 10 boot with 12 stone behind it would go straight through those pine palings. Movement sensing lights outside and alarm inside (battery operated and solar charged) will slow'em down.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 09.05. 2018 20:46 »
I was a security guard for 10 years. People are stunned when I show them how easy it is to break in.
Locks are only to keep honest people out. A size 10 boot with 12 stone behind it would go straight through those pine palings. Movement sensing lights outside and alarm inside (battery operated and solar charged) will slow'em down.
Cheers

My shed has double thick walls with insulation between and the doors are quite substantial. I do have a movement sensing floodlight. I'm considering an audible alarm.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 09.05. 2018 20:48 »
I have to be realistic, my bike is not worth a fortune. My aim is to make breaking in here more difficult than someone else's property.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 09.05. 2018 21:17 »
Thanks, Roy. I was thinking I should upgrade my locks. I've ordered the smallest armoured lock. I may get more later.
Same here GB.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 09.05. 2018 23:02 »
Variety of techniques both in prevention and how the buggers get in.  Its quite common here in the US with commercial storage facilities that addicts/thieves will rent a locker and then use it to break thru into neighboring lockers thru the walls.
Some burglaries as well people bypass the cameras, doors and security by going in thru a wall.  There has been
"Smash & grabs" where its a timed event and noise is dispensed with and a truck smashes in, or a chain or cable affixed and rip off the entry doors or even a wall and they rush in, I have seen survelliance footage where a organized team can run off with a lot of stuff in 15-20 seconds, Long before most people have time to react.

Some bike thieves here have a van and steering locks or other security is defeated by simply 4 guys lifting the bike and into a van or pickup.  Again, often in 10-15 seconds and they are off & gone.

If using a motion sensor, consider locating the sensor AWAY from the flood lights or disguise it, With security cams, (Kits are inexpensive these days) set yours to a hidden motion sensor so you dont have to daily review hours of footage, it only cues up if there is movement.  I have a friend who is quite clever and he does installs, and sets up a modem that sends you a text when there is activity, and you can then cue it up on your Smart phone and watch remotely, or activate a alarm or even a speaker.  He is quite busy and in demand as we have in urban areas a lot of "Porch pirates" who steal deliveries.   

(I will neither admit nor deny some devices with Pepper spray, exploding dog poo, or Dye packs sourced from paint ball vendors rigged as bait,  But its not isolated and growing number of amusing YouTube videos)

But one of the most effective ways, besides just making you an unattractive or difficult target is prey on a thieves paranoia.  Addicts especially have a heightened sense of paranoia.   Cheapest and easiest device is simply a large bright yellow placard of "SMILE!  *smile* You are on Camera!" placed prominently.    Decoy cameras that are just replicas are also effective, both to protect your expensive night vision capable camera from vandalism, but also as a cheap deterrent.   At my last job we had problems with vandals at several facilities.  My idiot boss installed a expensive surveillance system and they stole the cameras.   So I installed decoy cameras (Some are just a black plastic globe) and then hid the good cameras.  We had some good footage of these vandals throwing bottles, rocks and peering at the decoys from behind walls.

Unfortunately at my job we were NOT allowed to use some of the better deterrents, (Exploding purses filled with pepper spray canisters, bait bikes or others, but another security team had so many bicycle thefts they set up bait bikes with GPS and did arrests)

Here some young miscreants having fun, ton of these videos out there.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65AxTBzo61g     (To infinity and BEYOND!-hey buddy! Its not nice to steal!)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.