Author Topic: Plunger frame/ ¿ steering lock ?  (Read 726 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Plunger frame/ ¿ steering lock ?
« on: 30.04. 2018 03:26 »
  Having  a OIF/Conical front end, I made a plug that goes in the steering lock hole to stick a pin in to engage with the frame/headstock lock-hole.... then this morning for no particular reason,  I wondered what kind of lock setup is standard item, but none of the parts list drawings show a lug on the  haedstock the same as mine, nor show a triple clamp with steering lock....  so I have to ask what's the G-O here...?

*disclaimer: I was just going past- honest... is after midday and'just happened' to  be passing the pub... posting this went toshit so had to go for a second one,  turned around to see what ruckus was, and its the channel seven news.... they may have just missed me,  but just in case berger, I'm at the pub *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Plunger frame/ ¿ steering lock ?
« Reply #1 on: 30.04. 2018 06:12 »

...  so I have to ask what's the G-O here...?

So what I mean is;   *conf2*/*dunno* .... I looked at '49-'53 & '54 - '57 lists, but nothing shows, was there some kind of option on this?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 30.04. 2018 08:45 »
I'll take some photos when I'm dressed.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 30.04. 2018 09:20 »

I'll take some photos when I'm dressed.
                       *eek*

Top idea- don't take 'em beforehand.... *conf*

It's not at all important, just curious again, but may be help to someone later

*I'm off the hook-I wasn't 'at the pub'....well not on telly anyway
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.04. 2018 13:50 »
I've taken some photos of my steering lock arrangement. Not easy to see under the top yolk, against the black paint. The lock plunger goes down just before the steering is turned fully left. Of course, the key is removable when the steering is locked. If you need more let me know.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #5 on: 30.04. 2018 14:24 »
So duTch, your frame must be later than '52. My '51 and '53 frames don't have it. '54 was the start of the steering lock.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 30.04. 2018 14:31 »
So duTch, your frame must be later than '52. My '51 and '53 frames don't have it. '54 was the start of the steering lock.
Cheers
My machine was made in '55
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 30.04. 2018 19:04 »

Quote from: muskrat on Today at 00:24:45

Cheers

My machine was made in '55

Thanks for the effort GB, and Musky that's the info I was curious about kinda thought that'd be a likely time to make a change.just the Lazies in the art department used the same drawing for '54-'57, or just hadn't updated yet..... *rant* (book #? MCB518-2  Nov.'53)

Because the engine I bought separately is stamped " 23:12:52 "- and no idea of the frame year, I just always called it a '52 until dating charts became available, I now calculate the engine (BA10 3???) was (circa) early ~'53, and frame BA7S 1919* circa early ~'56 (Q1/2).....I can go back to sleep now - until the phone rings     *conf*
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 30.04. 2018 20:14 »
G'day duTch. I know QLD have different rules than NSW (stupid that all the states and territories have different rules), when I bent the '51 frame and threw everything on my spare '53 frame it had to be registered as a new bike of '53 as the frame # is the bikes ID. The only difference from '51 to '53 is the rear footpeg mounts.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 30.04. 2018 22:51 »

NO Phone call *smile*
....... (stupid that all the states and territories have different rules),.......
   = depends on the rules *smile*

......when I bent the '51 frame and threw everything on my spare '53 frame it had to be registered as a new bike of '53 as the frame # is the bikes ID.......

Tobe honest, Im not sure what determines it up here, I told 'em it's a '52 and had it rego'd as that before, maybe showed photo of old plates (didn't tell 'em I still have them -they'd want them back), and that's what's on the renewal notice; I think trying to change it to suit would pop a fuse    *eek*

.......The only difference from '51 to '53 is the rear footpeg mounts.....
...something that doesn't concern me, but now I'm curious..?..the only change I can think of was the brake pedal has a lug for a setting-screw...but that's not connected...

I think I'll try and track down a later parts book,or just set of drawings...not that I intend to change anything tho'

Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 30.04. 2018 22:58 »
...the only change I can think of was the brake pedal has a lug for a setting-screw...but that's not connected...
Sounds rather worrying!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 30.04. 2018 23:33 »

...the only change I can think of was the brake pedal has a lug for a setting-screw...but that's not connected...

Sounds rather worrying!

^^ "not connected" ^ = not associated/related/ not part of this discussion/dialogue/topic (at that point)  *smile*

(My pedal is pre '54, I bought one of each from ebitch but the guy reckons they lost in transit; refunded because I think he did't reach the price he wanted)
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 02.05. 2018 07:23 »
I have been trying to decipher forks, triple clamps and what parts fit what.  At some point might post up a cross section of them as a reference, but I am working on a variety of machines, What I have discovered and known is that there is a very confusing amount of part numbers and parts associated with all this.

My Plunger A10 does NOT have the casting on the neck like yours....... So I am wondering if your frame is later?
My rigid A10 does NOT have a steering lock casting either.
My rigid single B33, NO Lock on trees or casting on neck (1949 I believe)
But some of my later bikes DO.

Sorting top clamps and matching to bottoms.  But  I made up a list from parts books of all the clamps top & bottom 1948 thru to 1970, Singles and twins.  Then same for forks, sliders and such. 

Ill post up some pictures, or even a cross reference perhaps.  Boggles the mind. Casting numbers and part numbers are not the same, or usually not.   I spent hours today sorting thru, and found SOME rather conclusive reports on BritBike.com for the BSA and Triumph ones, but not for every application.

What is confusing is that SOME top clamps are missing instrument holes and lock holes, so indicates either early or competition models.  Then some HAVE the castings for holes and locks but are not finished-machined or tapped. 

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 02.05. 2018 09:11 »

*pull hair out* *beer*...says a lot...can't help with Yokes/triple trees, but I figure as per Muskos suggestion that steering locks appeared after '54, so if I can find that dating chart  *conf2*...that should help to give a start point for frames with/without at least with 'A' Series...
Australia