Author Topic: Claw renewal  (Read 633 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Claw renewal
« on: 14.05. 2018 16:17 »
Having suffered from erratic gear selection (sometimes O.K. and sometimes not so good) I popped the front cover off the gearbox and found that the two claw teeth were well worn so I have fitted a new one. So far, so good. However when I tighten the gear box fasteners up, changing down from 4th to 3rd the pedal does not return to centre. This is with the bike static not riding it I should add. The pedal centres just fine in all the other gears. It looks as though I might need to use a couple of gaskets to get the distance right between the front cover and the inner cover to enable the pedal to centre, because if I back the fasteners off a bit the the pedal springs back beautifully. Would this be O.K. to do? I am not sure why it is doing this with the new claw and apart from the old one being worn out I can see no difference in them. Apart from that the new claw selects much better than the old worn one. What do you think chaps? Has anyone else had this problem?

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Claw renewal
« Reply #1 on: 14.05. 2018 18:26 »
Plunger or SA?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 14.05. 2018 19:00 »
Plunger or SA?
Ah yes, silly me I forgot to say what it is. It's s/a bike.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 14.05. 2018 19:42 »
I had a simlar symptom with my Plunger box that came down to having the inner gasket fitted. After I removed the gasket all was good. I don't know if the SA box is susceptible to the same issue.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.05. 2018 23:59 »
Hi Neil Greybeard,
You may remember my S/A gearbox problems detailed in "Gearbox Woes" on this forum. Been at it since January. I have the gearbox installed now. My original problem was I could select neutrals at ease. I took John (Chaterlea's) advice and tried to adjust the camplate plunger, but it was seized. Being reluctant to use heat under the bike, I took the gearbox out and dismantled it for a good bo-peep. I think 25 years of sitting around in our humid climate drew moisture into the oil-free gearbox and rusted the plunger adjuster. I did get the camplate plunger & spring replaced, and also found the claws severely worn. Otherwise the gearbox was in great condition.
I replaced the claw with a new one from Feked, and also the claw spring, but had the same problem as you with the lever not returning in 3rd & 4th.
I went through my spares, and found a claw in fairly good condition, and that solved the return problem. I was a bit puzzled, so had a closer look at the claws.
The new Feked claw was 5mm thick, presumably made from modern steel plate and certainly looks identical. The old claw was 4.75mm thick, which is 0.187 inches using my converter. This corresponds to 3/16". Whether this is enough to cause this problem is doubtful, but it worked. I did notice that in the "Gearbox Woes", another forum member also had problems and changed the claw from a new one to his old one, and also solved this problem. With the Feked claw, the tilting when changing gears was much more noticeable, but I could not see that affecting the gear change. I put it back together with the standard gaskets - one for inner and one for outer covers. On the bench, it seems OK but all a little bit stiff.
I am now waiting on new clutch nut and springs to get it back on the road, so cannot yet say how successful it has been. Hopefully it will get smooth with use.
Cheers
Col

1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 15.05. 2018 00:02 »
Sorry John a10960,
Just realised this question was from you. *red*
Col
1961 Golden Flash