Author Topic: Reduced charging, why?  (Read 841 times)

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Reduced charging, why?
« on: 06.05. 2018 13:48 »
Hello

What would cause indicated charging to reduce? When I rebuilt my dynamo a couple of years ago, the charge would be positive with full lights on at a bit before 2000 rpm. Now I have to go past 3000 to see a positive charge. I have only gone as far as to remove the end cover to see if all looked well, and it did. Though I could blow a serious amount of black dust out with compressed air. Could the commutator be partly fouled by worn brush material? Any usual suspects?

Cheers, Otto
Otto in Denmark

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Reduced charging, why?
« Reply #1 on: 06.05. 2018 13:59 »
I'd include the regulator in the search and tests, and the battery.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 06.05. 2018 20:33 »
G'day Otto.
The first thing I'd check is that the drive sprocket (the big one) isn't slipping on the taper.
Do a search on dynamo testing, quite a few posts. Also https://www.a7a10.net/BSA/lucasmain.htm and http://matchlessclueless.com/electrical/
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 06.05. 2018 22:01 »

What would cause indicated charging to reduce.......

Unless I'm missing something (*edit*- it sounds kinda normal?) *conf2*, it will naturally 'reduce' to '0' as the battery charges to full....Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, the way I see it is if the lights/brake light are on and the ammeter goes to '-ve' it's not charging (low revs), but when you rev it will go through '0' to '+' as the depleted charge is replaced (the more '+' is good and shows a hefty discharge had happened) and progressively 'reduce' again to '0' as the battery is fully charged....If the light is brighter when you rev the engine shows the Genny is working....

Did that make sense? or is there something else happening ?

NB - 1 hour later- just added an edit

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #4 on: 08.05. 2018 17:08 »
I'll check the battery and see if the regulator cuts off as it should. Other than that I guess it has to be the dynamo. There is no doubt that the charge is a lot less than usual, so something must be amiss.

Thanks!
Otto in Denmark

Offline PatM20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 08.05. 2018 19:33 »
If there was a load of dust on the commutator, give the grooves a little clean out too.

Offline roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #6 on: 17.05. 2018 21:17 »
Hello all

To round off this inquiry I'll report success! I eventually took the dynamo of and apart. It turned out that one brush was of bad quality, and was worn exccessively, leaving a black glazing on the commutator. I cleaned the commutator with emery cloth and renewed both brushes, and full charge was restored. Hooray!

But one thing was odd: I am quite sure I didn't swap the brush leads round, but the dynamo was motoring the wrong way round at first. Can polarity change, or did I really manage to wire the brushes wrongly first?

Cheers, Otto
Otto in Denmark

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2018 23:46 »
NEVER! use emery on a commutator *doh* it is a conductor and can get stuck between the bars on the com, use  fine sand paper and then gently scrape out between the bars this is my two penneth worth , ps PUB TOMMOROW *countdown*

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #8 on: 18.05. 2018 07:01 »
If you also disconnected the field coil wires that emerge from behind the brush plate, you might have reconnected them the opposite way round maybe? (They are usually hard to tell apart.) That reverses the direction of rotation, same as swapping the brushes.
Polarity should not have been affected unless you motored it with the battery connected with the earth and live reversed from how it is on the bike. The fact it works again indicates 'no problem' there though. So sounds like 'success'!
Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.05. 2018 11:56 »

.....But one thing was odd: I am quite sure I didn't swap the brush leads round,......& groily; "If you also disconnected the field coil wires that emerge from behind the brush plate, you might have reconnected them the opposite way round maybe? "............

When I was trying to figure mine out, I decided that a 'rule of thumb' *may* be to think of a ' figure 8 or one of these dead space invader critters; ∝ - can't make it bigger', where one end of the '8' is the coil, and the other end is the wires that poke through the brush plate......all flowy like.. *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia