Author Topic: Unique Oil Filtration System  (Read 1415 times)

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Unique Oil Filtration System
« on: 08.05. 2018 08:39 »
I didn't want to sacrifice space for the tools and spares I carry in the tool box and after some consideration I decided to fit this oil filter to my Golden Flash.

In case it's of interest to other members I've attached photos of it fitted and also broken down to show its component parts.

The filter kit comes with two 1/4 BSP straight or 90 degree (or one of each) spigots and a 'P' bracket. I didn't use the spigots as I had two ss braided pipes made up to go from crankcase to filter and another from filter to oil tank with 1/4 BSP end fittings. I made up a simple bracket to go from the P bracket to fit behind the back of the tool box and onto its top mounting stud. This enables some adjustment to the angle of the bracket and also the filter housing to suit the best position. The top nut and cover on the filter housing is removed to change the filter. The filters are standard Royal Enfield/ Electra cartridges, which are readily available. I bought a pack of 10 for £14.00, including the UK postage, so it doesn't cost a lot to change a filter.

While fitting the filter I took the opportunity to remove the tool box and oil tank, flush the oil tank clean and then repainted both oil tank and tool box.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline terryg

• Resident Legend
    • thecarshipenterprise
Re: Unique Oil Filtration System
« Reply #1 on: 08.05. 2018 09:24 »
And the kit was obtained from where?

Or by 'unique' do you mean it is something you made up yourself?

I have a half-finished home brewed oil filter setup on the back of the bench - one day perhaps it will get finished.
Terry
'57 'SR', '59 SR, '63 RGS

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline PatM20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 08.05. 2018 11:00 »
Hi

The link mentioned a "safety valve". How does that work and what is it meant to do?

Regards

Pat

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 08.05. 2018 12:05 »
Hi

The link mentioned a "safety valve". How does that work and what is it meant to do?

Regards

Pat

Hi Pat, The Unique filter is the Mk2 version of the Hide-De-Hi. I'm quoting a paragraph from the instructions, I also checked this with Dave (at D&C Classic Motorcycles):-

"Tests on a rig have shown no pressure increase in returning the oil through the filter to the tank, which has a very high flow rate. Even with a 90% blockage on the filter no increase was recorded. In the rare event of a total blockage the release spring will bypass at 15 p.s.i."

1960 Golden Flash

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 08.05. 2018 12:27 »
Bear in mind that if the likelihood of the element becoming blocked  has been described as a rare event, then it is not catching much (enough) of the particles in the oil.

I.e. it must be a very coarse media; I would look for something better.

The smallest particles in oil are the greatest agents of wear; particles small enough to bridge the dynamic (operational / running) clearances such as between timing bush and crank journal, will act as lapping paste, and increase those clearances (wear).

An effective filter element is one that will remove a significant percentage of small particles (10 micron is a good choice), yet has sufficient surface area to prevent the element blocking (upstream pressure rising to the setting of the internal bypass valve) before the scheduled change-out.

Unless there is an indicator (gauge) upstream of the element we won't know whether the filter is blocked.

for reference; a human hair is 75 micron in diameter, and the limit of resolution of the eye is 40 micron.

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 08.05. 2018 14:49 »
I’m reading into 'In the rare event of a total blockage' as meaning more of a rare event of an owner’s neglect to change filter and oil until it eventually blocks  . . .  as opposed to meaning the filter element not filtering oil effectively.

The oil filter element used is the one fitted to all Royal Enfield 350cc Thunderbirds, 500cc Electras, Classics, Bullet B5s and 535cc Continental GTs so should be well up to the job, especially as a Royal Enfield Continental GT now holds the Australian Land Speed Record in the class up to 650 cc pushrod engines using pumped fuel.

(Edit): With mild modifications of new cam, valves, pushrods and springs and attaining 103 mph.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 08.05. 2018 16:59 »
It may be a coarse filter; it may not be.

I’m sure anyone really interested can find out.

Declaring that it “must be coarse” because of a pretty meaningless piece of the sales puff,  is quite strange.

Offline PatM20

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 08.05. 2018 19:31 »
Thanks RogerSB.

I get it now.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 08.05. 2018 21:45 »
Oil filtration is ALMOST as contentious as direct Oil topic threads, followed by gearbox and primary lubes, and then best ignitions.
-Tangent ahead  *whistle*-
When I saw this, I immediately flashed on posting some stuff about Frantz filters but decided to wait and see where this was going.   I do have several vintage filter setups that look cool-industrial & steam punk-ish and can post some pix if you like,  One of mine is a period filter assy typically found on HD panheads and Knuckles, similar to this one shown above, another is a 60s period alloy casting that came on a aircooled car engine (Corvair) project.  (6 cyl Corvair stuffed into a stretched Norton Featherbed frame, was mildly famous in SoCal and called the "NorVair" I salvaged the wideline and some other Norton bits and sold off the Corvair stuff, the buyer was VERY disappointed he did not get the remote oil filter as well,.  I also kept the oil radiators as well for period race projects. Some of the Triumphs used these for some specific race bikes)

But hard to beat the simple NotRun C-Do filter assys and stuff on the underside,  But more on the Frantz system.  Those outside the US are probably unfamiliar with them but growing up in farming communities almost every farmer I knew ran these on their equipment and for good reason.  Farming is dirty-dusty & extreme service.   There was a bit of old Timey Sears catalog and then J.C. Whitney miracle product stigma to it along with magnets that increase your fuel mileage.  And I grew to make fun of toilet paper roll filters.
In one of my Aircraft mechanics classes though, Old Harold set me straight.  Harold is/was a legend in the aviation community and very respected.  He also ran a regional service center and training facility for Cessna
Harold said Frantz filters were effective and worked really well, better than most any other product out there.  Some may debate this, But I shut the hell up about making fun of Frantz filters.  In fact, I would love to find another as I had one from the 1970s new in tyhe box and sold it at a swap meet for $20.  *problem* *countdown*.   I now see a lot of applications for use in my workshop. 
Currently there seems to be competing business interests claiming the rights to the company and all of their current products are insanely priced to the point I will make my own before paying current prices.
But I hold out hope of finding a vintage kit at a regional garage sale or swap meet.

" Is A Toilet Paper Oil Filter Worth Your Time?"

See: http://www.kc-synthetic-oil.com/toilet-paper-oil-filter.html

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 09.05. 2018 00:00 »
Hi TT,
In other words, if the salesman  tells us it is rare for his filter to block, then it is not very efficient.

The oil in our engines starts clean and gets dirty as the miles clock up. If the filter is rare to block, then it won't reduce the number of particles in the oil; they will increase and cause a greater rate of wear.
Richard

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 09.05. 2018 08:17 »
If the salesman  tells us it is rare for his filter to block, then he is a salesman.

There really are no other reliable conclusions to draw from such a statement.

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 09.05. 2018 09:11 »
Other than filters that don't block aren't doing the intended job.

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 09.05. 2018 09:49 »
The full flow of oil is passed through oil filter paper.  If you are worried about the micron rating, go and find out what it is, then come back in the light of that knowledge and advise us about the problems you think users will have.

It looks like the same well-tried small element used on late Unit singles, Tridents and some Enfields.  People are using it and having no problems.

I’m probably happier with my old Unity Equipe bracket with a BMC Mini spin-on filter.  It’s reassuringly big in relation to oil flow. That doesn’t mean I’m in any position to condemn the “Unique.” 

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #14 on: 09.05. 2018 10:40 »
The statement quoted was actually part of the fitting instructions and I think there is a misunderstanding in what the manufacturer is referring to.

I believe it means that in a rare event that an owner allows an oil filter to get block completely - not for the element to block because of poor manufacturing and was simply made to highlight to a buyer that there is a bye-pass facility built into the unit.

Also the filter elements are not manufactured by D&C Classic Motorcycles. The filter housing simply utilises filter elements manufactured by various filter manufacturers to fit certain Royal Enfield Motorcycles, I've seen them advertised made by HiFlo, Puralator, Royal Enfield, etc. and as every filter element (and most things) you buy 'You pays yer money and takes yer choice'!

Cheers, Roger

1960 Golden Flash