Author Topic: Facebook fun  (Read 434 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Facebook fun
« on: 11.05. 2018 09:05 »
I put a sepia photo of me on my bike in front of an ancient road sign on a Facebook group dedicated to the history of this area.

Someone took exception to my bike having the front number plate on the side of the mudguard.

Some people just want to have a row!

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Facebook fun
« Reply #1 on: 11.05. 2018 10:11 »
I’d never heard of J* H*, but now I know he’s a bloody fool.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11.05. 2018 10:58 »
Usually  trolls like that are compensating for their inadequacies, insecurity and perceived short comings.  There is a wide variety of books on dealing with "high conflict personalities" but in short, the best method is the laugh, and make fun of them.  The less impact their drivel has on you the more it grates on them.
The whole point is to get a rise out of you and establish their dominance. Dont play.  Dont enable, and have a good laugh.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2018 13:39 »
Regardless - you nailed him good. Nice one.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.05. 2018 13:58 »
This is why I don't use FACEBOOK.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.05. 2018 13:59 »
Nice picture, Greybeard.

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 11.05. 2018 15:13 »
lol+++, time to bow down to Mr Topofmudguard's superior intellect.

And 1st class picture.

A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.05. 2018 17:40 »
To make it clear; this was not a motorcycle group. Thanks for your appreciation chums!

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 11.05. 2018 20:55 »
I *DID* rather enjoy your photo BTW,, Great stuff. Maybe your bike will be the star of Bridget Jones 3 movie??

There sometimes is a need by some people, photographers, models, products advertising, movies, TV etc that WANT bikes like yours or,.,,,,sometimes a period type person for background color or feature.
On occasion I have heard from people looking for such vehicles and know a few people who have registered their vehicles with a directory and get hired out at times.  The pay is good at times by the bigger hires.
I can name a number of telly shows as well as movies that film here and there is always a need for extras and prop pieces.
My neighbor down the road, His MG has been in 3 TV shows, 1 movie, and 2 model shoots.  There is a *Scale* for the TV and movies and I would have to ask what it was but I think it was $300 per day and it came back professionally detailed each time and picked up and delivered by professional truck.  He enjoys it.
There is registries in some places to get your machine listed.

Sometimes its just weird random stuff.  I got a call wanting a Norton single but they didnt want shiny restored.  (I suspect they had in mind a bike just like the Norton in the Che Guerra movie)  And my wifes 48 ES2 is not currently shiny or restored but was logistically impossible to assemble it into a roller in time.
Many years ago, they were shooting the movie "Bandits" and I cant remember which actor, but either Billy Bob Thornton or Bruce Willis were rumored to like Triumphs. 

I had a 1969 Bonnie for sale at the time so during the shooting in Oregon city I parked it each day at a gas station next to the road way where the crew bus went in and out for shuttle service.  No luck.   But my buddys son DID sell a car to Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top off Craigslist.  I know another guy, he just retired from a business called "Automania" and thats all he did was rent out props to show business.  He is known as Jingletown Bill.  He is an obsessive collector and cant stop, but its interesting as he now has to figure out what to do with an industrial warehouse packed with the stuff.  His website is now gone, but you can still see some of it here,,, (Weird way to make a living but he is quite wealthy because of it)

See: https://kimlarsonart.blogspot.com/2008/05/more-on-bill-silveira-jingletown-junk.html

" Additionally, this semi-retired used car dealer is also well known in the filming industry as the guy who can provide you with just about anything you need from classic cars to caskets for your shoot. It's also been rumored that he's worked for wine and cheese in his not-so-distant past, but that fact hasn't been wholly substantiated just yet."
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 12.05. 2018 09:10 »
That's a great pic of you and your motorcycle Greybeard, thanks for sharing.  *smile*
'48 A7 '59 SR '74 850 Commando TDM900

Offline CotswoldsA7

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 16.05. 2018 14:58 »
Great story Neil. JH. appears a pompous p---k. I think the image is superb. C. 👍