Author Topic: will I be ex communicated  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
will I be ex communicated
« on: 15.05. 2018 06:46 »
appreciate its not from Smallheath but when the opportunity to buy this came up I increased my mortgage  *eek* dramatically, just had to be done.
Needs a bit of fettling but is rideable albeit not currently roadlegal
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: will I be ex communicated
« Reply #1 on: 15.05. 2018 08:54 »
OMG!  *dribble*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 15.05. 2018 09:26 »
SKITE. lol.
So now you can race a solo as well, as long as you haven't forgotten how to lean in corners. LEL.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 15.05. 2018 09:28 »
well done - as for the repentance, do what I did when I used to ride pillion on one, Say three "hail Mary's "and hang on
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.05. 2018 09:31 »
Well I think we should excommunicate him , because he's now just a bit too bleedin' flash!!!

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #5 on: 15.05. 2018 09:51 »
wow, this is nice. Congrats+++

(...but enjoy it while you can, as the Inquisition is on it's way for a visit and some treatment, having heard tales that the heretic power of the Black Shadow has driven a soul off the right path :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 15.05. 2018 12:54 »
I imagine you can be forgiven......if you tell us more about it.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #7 on: 15.05. 2018 13:52 »
Just ordered a bell, book and candle from eBay.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 15.05. 2018 14:51 »
I'm jealous  *evil* and happy for you  *smile*

But remember.......

Nobody Expects The Spanish inquisition

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 15.05. 2018 17:52 »
 *smile*

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 15.05. 2018 23:48 »
Very cool!,,  not some grey porridge rapide or comet either!   I know a local guy who went thru hell & high water to join the Vincent community and is fettling a Rapide.  A SOUND financial investment if I do say so myself, Vintage commodities such as this are much more stable than Bonds, mutual funds or my poorly performing 401k.  During the 2008-2009 recession Vintage vehicles dropped but nowhere near other investments.  Plus, properly cared for and insured, are a HELL of a lot more fun! Congrats!

Here is what HST wrote on the Black Shadow: http://www.vincent-hrd.co.uk/hst.html

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream (1970)

[At the Polo Lounge in Beverly Hills, planning to cover the Mint 400 Desert Race in Las Vegas]
"Well," he said, "as your attorney I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can you cover a thing like this righteously?"

"No way," I said. "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?"

"Whats that?"

"A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

"That sounds about right for this gig," he said.

"It is," I assured him. "The fucker's not much for turning, but it's pure hell on the straightaway. It'll outrun the F-111 until takeoff."

"Takeoff?" he said. "Can we handle that much torque?"

"Absolutely," I said. "I'll call New York for some cash."

--------------------------------

[At the entry desk for the Mint 400]

"What's the entry fee?" I asked the desk-man.

"Two fifty," he said.

"What if I told you I had a Vincent Black Shadow?"

He stared up at me, saying nothing, not friendly. I noticed he was wearing a .38 revolver on his belt. "Forget it," I said. "My driver's sick anyway."

His eyes narrowed. "Your driver ain't the only one sick around here, buddy."

"He has a bone in his throat," I said.

"What?"

The man was getting ugly, but suddenly his eyes switched away. He was staring at something else . . .

My attorney; no longer wearing his Danish sunglasses, no longer wearing his Acapulco shirt . . . a very crazy looking person, half-naked and breathing heavily.

"What's the trouble here?" he croaked. "This man is my client. Are you prepared to go to court?"

I grabbed his shoulder and gently spun him around. "Never mind," I said. "It's the Black Shadow -- they won't accept it."

"Wait a minute!" he shouted. "What do you mean, they won't accept it? Have you made a deal with these pigs?"

"Certainly not," I said, pushing him along toward the gate. "But you notice they're all armed. We're the only people here without guns. Can't you hear that shooting over there?"

Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72 (1973)

After Miami the calendar shows a bit of rest on the political front -- but not for me: I have to come back out to California and ride that goddamn fiendish Vincent Black Shadow again, for the road tests. The original plan was to deal with the beast in my off-hours during the California primary coverage, but serious problems developed.

Ten days before the election -- with McGovern apparently so far ahead that most of the press people were looking for ways to avoid covering the final week -- I drove out to Ventura, a satellite town just north of L.A. in the San Fernando Valley, to pick up the bugger and use it to cover the rest of the primary. Greg Jackson, an ABC correspondent who used to race motorcycles, went along with me. We were both curious about this machine. Chris Bunche, editor of Choppers magazine, said it was so fast and terrible that it made the extremely fast Honda 750 seem like a harmless toy.

This proved to be absolutely true. I rode a factory-demo Honda for a while, just to get the feel of being back on a serious road-runner again . . . and it seemed just fine: very quick, very powerful, very easy in the hands, one-touch electric starter. A very civilized machine, in all, and I might even be tempted to buy one if I didn't have the same gut distaste for Hondas that the American Honda management has for Rolling Stone. They don't like the image. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda," they say -- but according to a letter from American Honda to the Rolling Stone ad manager, none of these nicest people have much stomach for a magazine like the Stone.

Which is probably just as well; because if you're a safe, happy, nice, young Republican you probably don't want to read about things like dope, rock music and politics anyway. You want to stick with Time, and for weekend recreation do a bit of the laid-back street-cruising on your big fast Honda 750. . . maybe burn a Sportster or a Triumph here or there, just for the fun of it: But nothing serious, because when you start that kind of thing you don't meet many nice people.

Jesus! Another tangent, and right up front, this time -- the whole lead, in fact, completely fucked.

-------------------------

But first things first. We were talking about motorcycles. Jackson and I were out there in Ventura fucking around with a 750 Honda and an experimental prototype of the new Vincent -- a 1000-cc brute that proved to be so awesomely fast that I didn't even have time to get scared of it before I found myself coming up on a highway stoplight at ninety miles an hour and then skidding halfway through the intersection with both wheel-brakes locked.

A genuinely hellish bike. Second gear peaks around 65 -- cruising speed on the freeways -- and third winds out somewhere between 95 and 100. I never got to fourth, which takes you up to 120 or so -- and after that you shift into fifth.

Top speed is 140, more or less, depending on how the thing is tuned -- but there is nowhere in Los Angeles County to run a bike like that. I managed to get it back from Ventura to McGovern's downtown headquarters hotel, staying mainly in second gear, but the vibration almost fused my wrist bones and boiling oil from the breather pipes turned my right foot completely black. Later, when I tried to start it up for another test-run, the backlash from the kick-starter almost broke my leg. For two days afterward I limped around with a golfball-sized blood-bruise in my right arch.

Later in the week I tried the bastard again, but it stalled on a ramp leading up to the Hollywood Freeway and I almost broke my hand when I exploded in a stupid, screaming rage and punched the gas tank. After that I locked it up and left it in the hotel parking lot -- where it sat for many days with a MCGOVERN FOR PRESIDENT tag on the handlebars.

George never mentioned it, and when I suggested to Gary Hart that the Senator might like to take the machine out for a quick test-ride and some photos for the national press, I got almost exactly the same reaction that Mankiewicz laid on me in Florida when I suggested that McGovern could pick up a million or so votes by inviting the wire-service photographers to come out and snap him lounging around on the beach with a can of beer in his hand and wearing my Grateful Dead T-shirt.

Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline worntorn

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 16.05. 2018 14:40 »
RR, you'll enjoy that.
The Vincent twin makes a great touring bike, enough power to do two up touring and not struggle on hills.
They aren't nearly as fast as the exaggerated stories like the one above, but you are used to that, you have a BSA!
I always have a chuckle when someone spots my Vincent and tells me- " that's a Vincent , it will cruise all day at 100 mph"
Right
Lots of them won't crack the ton, full bore, rider on tank.
I've a really good , fairly standard tune one that does 115, GPS. 8 to one and 28mm carbs, mk1 cams.
The other one is more like 105, but it has high performance parts to help slow it down :) 9 to one, ported to 34 mm, two front heads, 34mm carbs , lightning cams.

But slow down to 70 and they run smooth and last. They pull strongly on hills
Weve done 60,000 miles touring on the one bike, mostly 2 up with full luggage. Canada, USA and Great Britain. No major issues, just speedo cables and a couple of busted Alton's  But nothing with the original bike which was just the 38th one built after WW2.
Amazing really.

Attachment is from our GB tour 2007
The week before it was hurtling down the Sulby Straight IOM at top speed. After that we loaded it up and toured 2500 miles.
The bike to the right is a 1916 Douglas. The rider was on a 1500 mile tour, but had a support vehicle, the car+ trailer in the photo. We are alongside Loch Ness, which was a big deal to someone from West coast NA.!
RR, I hope once you get the bike sorted you'll do some touring on it. That's what they really shine at.

Glen

Offline CotswoldsA7

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 16.05. 2018 14:50 »
Well done Rocket Racer,I am so happy for you. Enjoy it whilst you can,the engine noise alone is superb and unique. My best wishes to you. Chris. 👌 😄

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #13 on: 17.05. 2018 01:52 »
In its current state the clutch slips like a bugger (oil had leaked onto the clutch shoes) and there's something really wrong with the steering, probably head bearings, but it also has the wrong rim sizes. So will start off with a clutch rebuild, fresh rims and tyres (of the correct size) and a hydraulic steering damper. It runs really nicely and has a sweet gearbox, it is rideable as long as light throttle setting used , otherwise the clutch slip kicks in.
It has been in storage for many years and the motor was rebuilt around '82 although the elderly owner didnt ride it much and has since passed away.
I'd never really considered one, have owned a lot of different bikes (modern and classic) but when I saw this my plans all went out the window and I had to get myself in the queue of interested parties and luckily the two mates ahead of me either already owned one or had more interest in prewar exotica.
There's a 5 week wait on rims so I'm thinking it'll be ready for the spring. When I told my fiancee I'd bought it (another piece of good news -got engaged last week) she suggested we should park it in the lounge  *thanks*. After a number of tough years, life is presently as good as it gets... *woo*
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 17.05. 2018 03:32 »
Brilliant RR, and we envy you for both the Vinnie AND the Viancee.