Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Bulphan dave

• Active
  • A10 super rocket been stored since 1971
Fuel
« on: 16.05. 2018 17:33 »
Hi everyone,
I've been running my super rocket on ordinary bog standard petrol since I restored it back to the road after it had been off the road since 1971, it seems to run ok but should I be putting some sort of lead additive in the tank?

Cheers in advance
confucious once said a man with a hole in his pocket will feel cocky all day
1962 super rocket, Honda CB 750k2, vespa gs160, Vespa 150s

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: 16.05. 2018 18:52 »
good ? I put tetraboost in mine mainly for octane boost because I make her have it *grins* and she hates standard pump fuel, sometime ago I was using a lead replacement stuff [ carnt remember what its called]. but it carboned up pretty quick. so it depends on how you ride and how many miles a year? I know a geezer who has never used any additive and when he took the top end off there was no problems with valve seats etc, see what others say,

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 16.05. 2018 22:03 »
The lead was a cheap and easy way to boost octane, Its lubrication abilities were debateable and hotly so on some forums.  So your bike will run fine on unleaded.  Depending on your compression ratio and the quality of your ignition system (Maggie neatos are not as brilliant as some think, Physics being a limiting factor) Most people strive to find the highest octane fuel they can get, Keeping in mind there is 2 generally accepted ways of measuring octane and the differences are significant.
However the biggest threat to classic machinery is Oxygenated Fuels.  IE: Corn alcohol.  One of the biggest shams perpetuated on the consumer in history.
Oxygenated fuels is tremendously destructive in many ways, It induces water and corrosion in your tank and system, destroys components, eats plastics, fiberglass and fiber materials. And clogs up the whole mess, smaller the orifices, the more it seems to clog.
In the US there is several websites and APPs to tell you where Alcohol free fuels are being sold and you can even check fuel prices using some of these APPs.  On the way to the 2016 Norton rally we stopped in Ashland off the Interstate and filled several Jerry cans before proceeding into California, land of fruits & nuts.  (old bikes dont LIKE that crap fuel).  Its hard to find alcohol free fuel in Cali.
But the difference is palatable,.  We are headed to the cabin again this weekend and 2 hr drive each way.
We stop at a station (Ironically alcohol free fuel is more expensive!) and top up in my wifes 2004 Toyota.  We have documented we get 4mpg BETTER fuel economy with the Alcohol free fuel. 
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.05. 2018 06:30 »
 A lot of guys here buy Turbo Blue racing fuel and mix it 50/50 with the 93 octane "premium" fuel (best we have here in midwest).

That supposedly nets you 101+ octane, but the turbo blue is $7.50 A gallon.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 17.05. 2018 08:41 »
We're lucky down here with 4 grades of unleaded. 91, 95 and 98 are ethanol free. Then there's 94 with 10% ethanol for the greenies. At the moment here 91 is $1.50/Lt, 95 is $1.56/Lt, 98 is $1.65/Lt, 94 is $1.46/Lt. I use 98 and boost it to at least 102 plus some nice smelling castor oil. The higher the octane the slower it burns so ignition needs to be advanced a little. High compression fuel burns quicker. So with both I run pretty close to std timing. Advance it till it pings then back it off a tad. Works for me!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.05. 2018 08:44 »
I only use high octane in any of my bikes - in theory it has no/lo ethanol. On all my iron head bikes I also add Castrol valvemaster and octane booster. I get no problems but I don't do so many miles. Placebo? Well it works.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 17.05. 2018 10:46 »
Getting back to the original question

NO

No need for lead in any engine BSA ever  made.
All of the rubbish about valve seat regression was pure bull dust.
Well it was true, but only under lean burn conditions at 10,000 feet or higher.
So unless you are using your bike engine to power an aeroplane, forget about adding lead.
And forget about adding tin or any other magic snake oil that is going to "save your engine, or increase mileage "
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 17.05. 2018 14:15 »
With my first vintage bikes, I started using octane booster/lead replacement additives. Found it to be a real pita, especially when traveling. Decided to do without and never noticed a difference. Just retarded timing a degree or two if needed to reduce pinging. As noted above, I have also checked mileage many times with 10% ethanol and non ethanol and found the difference in mileage to be around.......10% less with ethanol!!! I ride my bikes, vintage or modern, whenever/wherever, so if there's a choice I buy Chevron (Techron works great in concentrate, so a little in the gas can't hurt). Here in Idaho, we also have summer and winter fuel blends. Better fuel mileage in summer.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #8 on: 17.05. 2018 14:33 »
Just don't buy the cheapest pump fuel. Go for the premium stuff, your bike deserves it.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 17.05. 2018 21:00 »
Just don't buy the cheapest pump fuel. Go for the premium stuff, your bike deserves it.

The problem is you cannot tell quality by price.   On specific race fuels there is rigorous testing and you are assured a quality fuel each time you buy, At some race tracks you HAVE to use the fuel the track supplies to keep it fair and consistent for everyone.
(No special elixirs your cousin the college chemistry major cooked up)
Race fuels tend to have a unique odor as well,  You show up on your recently completed restoration belching out those fumes at a vintage club Sunday ride some eyebrows will be raised.

(Just like napalm in the morning, I love the smell of race fuel out of a performance machine, Wife hates it, gags, A day at the track is a GOOD day!)

Here in the US, fuel standards are wildly different based on which state or city.  At one time it was considered an important consumer issue, Just like a Bakers chair in Germany, And rigorous stds and testing that you got a certain quality and the QUANTITY pumped was right. Just like merchants scales in a store required a certificate/license.   I have a friend who reports after attending the LSR races in Utah he stopped at a shady looking station in the middle of nowhere  and they charged him for 14 gallons in his car, and he knew he only had a 12 gallon tank.  (Complaining looked like a bad idea, picture any horror movie of crime drama).   But many places have reigned in testing and stds due to budget cuts.   I used to carry around a test kit for the alcohol (Simple graduated cylinder) as I had some real problems with fuels in a few of my hotrods.  The problem with a extreme camshaft (Duration mostly but lift as well) is that the more extreme the camshaft the more problems with fuel.  Mrs Doubtfires soccer mom minivan will purr along without complaint on crappy fuel, But a big valve motor, high compression and a lumpy cam will be immediately effected by poor fuel.
In arguments with station owners over a bad tank of fuel they point to my smoking, sputtering car and say
"You just need a tune up!"  (Man, its hard not to hit them!).   Not to mention the incentive for fraud.  Alcohol or water is cheap compared to a liter/gallon of fuel and a station that pumps thousands of gallons per day is a nice profit to dilute further.

Now on some of the local club rides, there has been some members who add a dash of castor oil, type R  or other fragrant stuff.  On a tiddler ride (Limited to 250cc or smaller-was 350cc but they changed it because of me) I have followed one fellow who doses his fuel, fragrant from a distance but follow too close and nauseating.  Others have done this as well.   But I did this once and plan to again,,

Try some of this!!!!!!!   
See: https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/fuel-system-additives/fuel-system-additive-type/fragrance

Lets see,,,,,,theres "Groovy Grape!",,"Rippin Root beer", "Cherry Bomb"  or many others.  Makes people wonder what you are up to. 
-------------------------------------------
" And forget about adding tin or any other magic snake oil that is going to "save your engine, or increase mileage "

But but but.......... what about my magic magnets that align the molecules and I get 5 mpg improvement?
Or my secret carb the govt doesnt want us to know about that gets 200 mpg?
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 17.05. 2018 21:35 »
Good one Sluggo. Do they make one called FART to get rid of tailgaters?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #11 on: 18.05. 2018 07:21 »
In defence, in the UK the cheapest supermarket petrol has the highest ethanol content whereas the premium branded pump fuels tend to have the lowest. The premium brands also contain rather more beneficial (or should that be less harmful) additives than the cheap stuff. One appalling fact about diesel fuel is that half Europe's palm oil imports go to make bio-diesel. Environmentally sound? Ask an Oran-utang.
Here's a bit of pub trivia. The original Mrs Doubtfire ran a rather classy second-hand dress shop in Edinburgh's New Town. I was appalled at just how many dresses were stolen by students with plummy accents - the ones who weren't short of a bob or two. No wonder she closed her business. 
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #12 on: 18.05. 2018 09:46 »
Good one Sluggo. Do they make one called FART to get rid of tailgaters?
Cheers
I can do that one all by myself.
Bike Beesa
Trevor