Author Topic: Oil leaks  (Read 1940 times)

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
Oil leaks
« on: 17.05. 2018 19:44 »
Greetings,

Just got an A10GF, first BSA for me. VERY nice!

It does leak a bit though, and I have been gradually working around them... most are gone :-)

There is still oil that runs down the crankcase from what I reckon is the lowest point of the magneto gasket. Not much, until you "up the pace".

My question: Is there just the magneto "hole" on the inner side of the timing cover, or will I find something else when I have pulled the mag off. I do have a full gasket set, so any tips regards taking the mag off and replacing seals etc at the time will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: 17.05. 2018 21:17 »
G'day Stan  *welcome*.
What year GF?
The only other "hole" around there is the blanked off one for the breather drilling. It is in the inner timing cover, a PO may have fiddled with it. If it's that you will be able to rectify without disturbing the magie.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 17.05. 2018 21:51 »
Hi,

1961...  And with that picture you kindly posted, I know it is not that, because I found a screw in that position, and wondered what it was for. Knowing that has something to do with the breathing has answered something else!

As you can imagine, I am new to BSA, and a 57 year old bike that I don't want to damage! So I am "treading carefully". Been changing gear and braking on the "wrong" side for the last 43 years, so nice to be back. Last Brit bike was an 850 Commando. This GF is just SO lovely to ride!

So I am thinking, timing cover off, magneto off, replace gasket, and maybe happy days! (Never had a magneto bike before so retiming it will be fun, but I have the book. Seems straightforward...!)

One more leak after that, very minor, I just changed the oil, but to fix the leak, I will need to empty the tank, as the return feedline is leaking. Looks like the rocker feed banjo only has a fibre washer on one side!

Isn't engine oil wonderful stuff... The "houdini" of the fluid world   *smile*

Thanks again,

Stan.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3 on: 17.05. 2018 22:06 »
G'day Stan.
Don't be afraid, there's lots of us here to help. Have a good read up on the ignition timing in https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?board=23.0 befor you start.
""Oil leaks" yes they all do that Sir" LOL
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.05. 2018 22:49 »
You shouldn't have to empty the oil tank to work on the return.
The return oil enters the tank above the oil level.

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 18.05. 2018 01:03 »
That's good news...  I'll tackle that tomorrow, no "Houdini" moments then *smile*

Thanks,

Stan.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 18.05. 2018 10:12 »

Hiya stan

...... Looks like the rocker feed banjo only has a fibre washer on one side!.....

Yep-reckon that's about right, the taper on the bolt/banjo does the other side, I have trouble sourcing fibre washers for those so made my own from nitrile rubber sheet and seems to work ok so far (had almost forgotten about that)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Procrastination is the thief of time!
« Reply #7 on: 18.05. 2018 17:47 »
Mine p****s oil out from pretty much everywhere.  A bit from the gearbox, a lot from the primary chain cover, a bit from the timing cover, a bit from the return, and some from the fork seals.  I find it's a bit like emptying water from a sinking boat but in reverse - fill it up faster than it leaks out!!  *eek*  Perhaps this is why BSAs have lasted so long.  After a long ride everything is covered in oil.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
Yam FS1-E, YB100, RS100, RD200DX,250DX,350B, XS750
MZ250

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 18.05. 2018 23:35 »
Mine is not now so bad. When I got the bike, my left boot was never gonna let water  *smile*  Then I had the rocker box off, to find it had odd thickness gaskets on the exhaust boxes... Sorted that, and still had a leak from the rocker box banjos, then found out that there is only supposed to be a fibre washer there, and NOT a copper one on the tapered side!

Then, the rubber coupling in the rocker box feedline was leaking, as the jubilee clip had failed.

In my ignorance, (I misunderstood the Haynes manual), I put "rather a lot" of oil in the primary chaincase. The bottom chain run was covered! Wondered why finding neutral was difficult! (And the leaks were now "legendary"!!!)

Then, the speedo drive was leaking. A small "O" ring where the cable joins to the gearbox solved most of it, but in the end, I had to put some heatshrink tubing over the plastic outer of the cable, to seal it to the metal ferrule. That seems to have worked.

The gearbox cover was leaking. I had taken it off to check the clutch adjustment, and replaced it as found. So I caused that leak! The previous owner had not used a gasket, but had used silicone sealer. I made one... From gasket material, and that works fine.

I lost very little oil on the last run, but that was for around 15 miles, a lot of which was at 20mph down country lanes. As per my first post, it seems the magneto is leaking. I need to check the timing anyhow, as it often "kicks back" on starting, although using the "kill" button momentarily as I kick it, I usually get it to start first time  *smile* (Before I relearned that trick, my ankle hurt for several weeks!!!   *sad2* )

6 leaks, (two self inflicted!) 1 to go...

Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. I have a lot to learn. (And relearn!). Fortunately, electrics is my game, so I am not expecting too many difficulties there.

BTW Wortluck, my Ford Sierra has something in common...  At 28 years old, it isn't going rusty either! (I drove it to Monaco once, there and back, 10 litres of oil!).

Regards,

Stan.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #9 on: 19.05. 2018 00:06 »
G'day Stan.
Sounds like your getting there mate. It's a life long learning curve. The day I stop learning I'll be pushing up daisies.
Wishing the internet was about when I started dabbling with BSA's in the 70's.

I had a Holden HQ 1 tonner that used 1 gal of oil for every 60 miles (burnt most but leaked a lot). From Ulladulla to Brisbane it used 12 gallons of oil and 24 gallons of fuel *ex* *eek*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
« Reply #10 on: 19.05. 2018 02:25 »
Hi Muskrat,

Good grief, that is worse than my Ford. At least my bike loses very little, it just seems to go a long way...  All over the bike!

Cheers,

Stan.

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 19.05. 2018 17:45 »
Nice one Musky, I bet you're not a signed up member of the Green Party.  My 17 year old Skoda Octavia burnt a reasonable amount of oil at 158k, although that's not many miles for a diesel. Unfortunately, on start up, the cul-de-sac smelled of sulphur for about 5 mins - kids were coughing an' all that.

Just done a 190m trip round North Yorkshire Moors - bloody brilliant.  Bike was sound except the ammeter's not showing a charge now.  This has happened before and turned out to be a duff battery.  If it is the battery, it'll be the fourth Westco I've had (don't worry, I got the rest FOC because they all failed in warranty).  DON'T buy a Westco!

Anyway, bike was much better with leaks this time - maybe it seals up when hot or is just having a good day!  Oh, and yes, there was oil in it!

Stan, my beezer was the first Brit bike I had - this forum's been brilliant in helping with issues.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
« Reply #12 on: 19.05. 2018 19:07 »
Nice one wortluck, the Skoda saga made me laugh!

If your ammeter does not show a charge, does it show a discharge? If so, then the battery is giving power to the lights and the generator is not contributing  *sad2* Maybe the genny is duff, hope not, that is expensive...

Just been out riding, it is cold here in North Kent. Leaks minimal. Two more to tackle, maybe next week. Used all my time for the next day oi so fixing the regulator/rewiring. One more problem gone.

My first Brit bike was a 1958 Enfield Crusader. Then two Nortons, Kawasakis from there until now, REAL glad to be back!

I already learned a lot from the forums, I am real grateful. Electrics is my game, be glad to help someone out.

My bike leaks. My plumbing leaks. But before I retired, I worked on hydraulics at 100 bar. They didn't leak. Go figure!

Offline Worty

• The drayman's friend!
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 19.05. 2018 21:21 »
Cheers Stan

Good point.  Ammeter shows discharge and won't show a charge with lights on, so must be the dynamo.  I've had problems before but a clean of the brushes and (commutator??) worked wonders - will try again.

Funny, every time I go for a ride a get a new problem.  Last time it was a broken wire to the rear light.  Today it's no charge from the dynamo and the trip reset cable fell off when I tried to reset. 

Jobs include: fix 4 x leaks, reattach trip reset cable, replace left front fork seal, clean oil off everything!  However, non of these things stop me riding so it's back out again tomorrow - probably 100m round trip of the Dales.
Current Bikes😎
Kwaka W650
'61 Flash

Past Bikes👍
'49 B31
'59 BMW R60
MZ250

Offline stanwhite

• Moving Up
« Reply #14 on: 26.05. 2018 22:06 »
Had (hopefully in the past tense!) an oil leak from the return banjo at the oil tank. (Rocker feed). Struggled to find fibre washers that would fit, managed to find one for one side, and copper for the other. (Having enlarged the holes...Loads of hassle!). Used (very sparingly) loctite silicone sealer. Have yet to ride the bike and prove the point.

All this took some time, got tired and dirty, so went for a bath...

Mrs had taken the rubber ducks away, so with nothing to play with, I sat in there soaking, and reflecting on the day... And remembering that I had a brand new, full gasket set, with all the washers, in the garage!!  What a plonker! Could have saved myself a lot of trouble...  Oh well... *red*

I guess that is the price you pay when you get old... :(  And how do you know when you are old?  When the motorcycle you bought new (1978 Kawasaki) has just been granted historic status... *grins*

My '61GF has the minimum oil level marked on the tank. And I found it leaked like hell when I overfilled it. Can someone tell me where the min and max levels are please, as I have a rough idea of what is "too much", but I don't know if the previous owner got the minimum level transfer/decal correct.

What I do know, is that with a full tank, an ambient temperature of about 17 C, and a 12 mile motorway ride at 55mph, the oil tank only got barely above body temperature.

Thanks,

Stan.