Author Topic: Crankshaft shimming  (Read 5380 times)

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
Re: Crankshaft shimming
« Reply #105 on: 21.01. 2021 18:59 »
Swarfy, Crank webs are proud of the faces and the bush flange  is  0.124" thick and is 0.031 above the retaining bosses. I machined a spacer at 0.038" thick and have done a dry assembly, the crank spins freely and I can detect no end play. I think a fine smear of sealant on the case faces should be about right.

When I assemble the drive side sprocket boss its clear I need a spacer for the right chain alignment and for the drive side seal to run on.  Does anyone have any idea how thick they are ?  the I.D. and O.D. are obvious.

I am going to work on the principle that if the crank face is running up against the timing side bush face it will be centralised. 

Thanks all who chucked in their penn'orth.

Barry

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #106 on: 21.01. 2021 19:53 »
well mr shifta if you are making a collar for the oil seal to run on I think you should make it wide enough to align the sprocket with the clutch when the sprocket sleeve is on the crank and remember to put a relief in it to clear the crank where the inner race sits so it all pulls up ok. if this makes sense *doubt*

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #107 on: 21.01. 2021 20:49 »
I see what you mean Berger, I will wait until I finally get to fitting the gearbox/clutch and make the spacer to get the sprockets dead in line.

I think I have some stainless for the spacer or do you think it should be hardenened as the seal runs on it ?  I don't think I have any toolsteel around to harden.

MrShifta

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #108 on: 21.01. 2021 21:07 »
the originals are hard and I will ferret around the shed tomorrow and find one I have for another engine. I will post measurements to give you a start

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #109 on: 21.01. 2021 23:55 »
That would be great mate,  thanks.

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #110 on: 22.01. 2021 13:21 »
well that took some finding and I can't find one of the cranks I thought it was on, 3 garages ,spare bedroom ,shed ,kitchen ,living room and repeat *pull hair out* but it is 10mm wide, 42.8ish mm OD , 25.32ish ID this varies where it is measured, i'm sure it is a pattern part not an original. the bit to clear the crank radius so it buts up to the inner race goes half way in and from the ID ends up at 30mm . if this makes sense.

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #111 on: 22.01. 2021 14:51 »
Thanks a million mate, My missus is still laughing at you upending the house and buildings looking for for a spacer to measure.
  She doesn't understand bike builders, now if she had lost her phone can you see me doing the same? 

I am fitting rods on the crank this afternoon and if I have time put the cases together.

Wish me luck !

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #112 on: 22.01. 2021 20:38 »
MrShifta,

I wish I had the time today to do the exact same things you just named. Not suggesting a race, but we would be neck-and-neck. Unfortunately, can't happen today.

Richard L.

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #113 on: 22.01. 2021 23:32 »
Hi Richard,   I am building the bike from boxes of bits from at least two bikes, a plunger and a s/a.  It is the s/a that I am working on. There are several  of the same parts, some worn , some rusty and some okay. The worry it that having cleaned up all of them and plated a load that at the end of the day there will be none that fit the bike.  At least I can sell some nicely plated spares, not chrome just BZP.  Did you strip yours to restore ? 

I got the chassis/forks, s/a brakes and wheels all which had never been stripped from new (1954) as a rolling chassis.  It has been standing since the late 60's.

Its good to be starting putting things back together at last.  My workshop is cold so an hour before coffee and then back again for another hour. etc.  There is an intercom between the bungalow and workshop as by U.K. standards our garden is quite big and means the workshop is 40 yds away.  I turn down the volume as I can't hear my wife shouting " are you staying down there all night" ?

Take care.

Barry

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #114 on: 23.01. 2021 00:06 »
mr shifta we had two phones and you just pressed a chrome button and the one in the garage would ring to get my dad in for tea. when that failed my mum would open the dining room window and shout CYY--R--I--LLLL  and the whole street could here. my dad would come in chuntering about he had to get a job done. sometimes he would set the lathe up skimming a disk come in for his tea and when he got back to the garage it would be on the last bit of cut, good memories.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #115 on: 23.01. 2021 01:29 »
First, I'm a happy guy. One thou off the shim stack and one thou end float. Yay!

Barry,

The '57 A7 I'm workimg on was a fairly complete and original barn find when I bought it over five years ago (moving right along  ;) ) It was, however, missing both the timing and drive-side covers, and the clutch when I bought it. I've bought the covers but haven't polished them yet. Glaciers wanting to win big money challenge me to races. I've had all the hard steel parts blasted and powder coated. I've finished the gearbox and it's in the frame. No chromework yet. Wheels a long way off. As for the tins, I've done most of the removal of the original paint and a weird blue respray. Final cleanup on tins will happen just before I'm ready to bondo. By now you should have the picture that my style is to get one thing done, then get the next thing ready to be done, rather than having everything done, pretty, and bolted together on the same day.

Richard L.

Offline MrShifta

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #116 on: 23.01. 2021 11:17 »
The frustration, the waiting for parts, the torn knuckles, the hammered fingers, the frightening secret cost, the stress,. We love every minute 🤩

Cases together but home matters and helping a blind friend with paperwork will mean no workshop today   Val has just had a call to go for her Phizer vaccine at 4pm,.