Author Topic: GB is not OK!  (Read 11709 times)

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: GB is not OK!
« Reply #60 on: 26.05. 2018 11:23 »
Good news and no doubt a relief for GB that there is consensus that he can safely use his later camshaft and with some benefit *smile*.

Just as a matter of interest . . . and before things move on can anybody briefly say what the difference is between the earlier and later camshafts (apart from the pt no), i.e. completely different shape to profiles or just higher peaks to the lobes, etc?

1960 Golden Flash

Offline tlmark

• A's Good Friend
  • Maidstone, Kent
« Reply #61 on: 26.05. 2018 11:29 »
Wow GB you ripped into sorting this well done

1958 Gold A10 super rocket
1982 RD350LC
2008 Ducati 1098S
2011 Ducati 1100 monster
suzuki TL1000s
suzukit SV650s

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #62 on: 26.05. 2018 11:56 »
G'day Roger
Inlet opens before tdc closes after bdc. Exhaust opens before bdc closes after tdc.
334 inlet has 280 degrees duration, exhaust 270 degrees, 55 degrees overlap (both valves open)
356   "      "  284       "           "            "       284     "        79     "           "
357   "      "  299       "           "            "       295     "        88     "           "
358 I don't have figures and I don't have lift figures at hand. I think Rocket Racer may have that info.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #63 on: 26.05. 2018 12:52 »
Thanks for that Musky  *respect*, I was just curious what the difference was. So to my un-technical details understanding - the valves are open to both inlet and exhaust for slightly longer?

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #64 on: 26.05. 2018 12:57 »
So, better breathing then?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #65 on: 26.05. 2018 15:42 »
Take a look here for the various cam profiles versus valve opening:

http://atlanticgreen.com/bsamain.htm

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #66 on: 26.05. 2018 16:14 »
So, better breathing then?
I always understood that the speed of the burnt gases leaving the cylinder helps sucking in the fresh mixture, hence the overlap. This would mean though that the overall fuel consumption will rise if there’s more overlap.
I also wonder if the carb would need to be jetted differently?
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #67 on: 26.05. 2018 16:23 »
I don't know if I should create a fresh thread, but. I'm cleaning bits-n-bobs. I've removed the spring loaded check valve in the timing side case. I missed that when I restored the engine six years ago. The bits all looked good but I'm going to order a new ball and spring. I understand that I should lightly tap the ball into its seat to make sure the seal is as good as possible.

I was wondering if I should pull the oil suction pipe out to clean the galleries more thoroughly. Is the top end locked into the case with a glue?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #68 on: 26.05. 2018 16:39 »

I must admit that did cross my mind also, Monobloc 276 vs 389 *dunno*.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: 26.05. 2018 16:40 »
Sludge! I'm not sure how many miles I've done * in the last six years since I cleaned the sludge trap but this is what came out today. Probably not a problem but it goes to show that even with an external filter and monograde oil the sludge trap is still doing a good job.

* An indication of my mileage is given by how long you expect Avon SM and Speedmaster tyres to last because they are getting a bit low on tread!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #70 on: 26.05. 2018 16:45 »
Quote from: Morris
I always understood that the speed of the burnt gases leaving the cylinder helps sucking in the fresh mixture, hence the overlap. This would mean though that the overall fuel consumption will rise if there’s more overlap.

There’s more to long duration cams than the overlap (period when both valves are open, although yes, the inertia of the departing exhaust charge reduces pressure in the combustion chamber and starts to draw the fresh charge in. Overlap also allows some of the more complicated sonic effects of a tuned exhaust.

Early opening of the inlet valve before TDC means it’s already open by a useful amount when the piston starts to descend.  Late closing of the inlet valve after BDC allows the inertia of the incoming charge to cause cylinder filling to continue after the compression stroke has started.  This effect needs a few 1000s of rpm to work: at idle and low rpm, late closing of the inlet has the ill-effect of allowing mixture to be pushed back out through the inlet ports and carburettor. Mixture being blown out through the carb and then sucked back in causes richness that fouls plugs in traffic jams.

Early opening of the exhaust valve before BDC on the power stroke lets the gases start to be expelled by their own expansion pressure, at a time when they won’t do much more useful work pushing the piston down.

Are we back where we started?

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #71 on: 26.05. 2018 16:53 »
There’s more to long duration cams than the overlap (period when both valves are open, although yes, the inertia of the departing exhaust charge reduces pressure in the combustion chamber and starts to draw the fresh charge in. Overlap also allows some of the more complicated sonic effects of a tuned exhaust.

Early opening of the inlet valve before TDC means it’s already open by a useful amount when the piston starts to descend.  Late closing of the inlet valve after BDC allows the inertia of the incoming charge to cause cylinder filling to continue after the compression stroke has started.  This effect needs a few 1000s of rpm to work: at idle and low rpm, late closing of the inlet has the ill-effect of allowing mixture to be pushed back out through the inlet ports and carburettor. Mixture being blown out through the carb and then sucked back in causes richness that fouls plugs in traffic jams.

Early opening of the exhaust valve before BDC on the power stroke lets the gases start to be expelled by their own expansion pressure, at a time when they won’t do much more useful work pushing the piston down.

Are we back where we started?

Are you talking about more extreme cams than my 67-356?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #72 on: 26.05. 2018 17:09 »
I was wondering if I should pull the oil suction pipe out to clean the galleries more thoroughly. Is the top end locked into the case with a glue?

When I bought SRMs magnetic sump filter the instructions said put a ring spanner over the scavenge pipe to move it forwards or backwards to align it with the hole in the filter. Mine moved easily and was obviously swivelling, so I would assume it's a press fit. The instructions to move it left or right was to tap it with a hammer.  I'm not sure if that bent the pipe sideways to align it or moved it in and out of the hole. All I can say is that it was easy and worked fine. Others may be able to give you more precise explanation.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #73 on: 26.05. 2018 19:50 »
I've been online and ordered piston rings, big end shells, cam followers, gaskets and seals.

I still need sludge trap plugs and oil check valve spring and ball and clutch centre tab washer.

Today, after emptying and filling the dishwasher and reassembling brother-in-laws mower motor I have been mostly scraping old gasket off and decoking the combustion chambers. I will strip, decoke and regrind the valves when I get my new spring compressor. When I have all the new parts I will be carefully washing parts in something suitable, blow drying and wrapping in plastic bags ready for a surgically clean rebuild.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #74 on: 26.05. 2018 20:06 »
Jeez GB, they say that women are good in multitasking but you are the living proof of the contrary...  ;) *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium