Author Topic: Blast from the past - Motorcycle mechanics july 1970  (Read 684 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Who used to get this mag?  The Bond bug anyone own up to owning one of these ? I remember delivering one from Liverpool to Widnes that we'd sold ,went to about 80 mph then I was hit by a crosswind and blown from one side of the road to the other with only the kerbs keeping me on the road a never to be forgotten experience !!
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Blast from the past - Motorcycle mechanics july 1970
« Reply #1 on: 01.06. 2018 12:15 »
Look at the price of the bikes and the leather jackets ,shall be reading this all weekend
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.06. 2018 12:58 »
Look at the price of the bikes and the leather jackets ,shall be reading this all weekend
In 1970 I was earning £20 a week and thought I was doing well.

Offline CotswoldsA7

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 01.06. 2018 13:06 »
We thought we were well off then,how times have changed,wages,prices etc. I still think it was a good era though. Seems everyone is so stressed now! 😳

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 01.06. 2018 14:36 »
Seems everyone is so stressed now! 😳
Why is that?

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.06. 2018 15:13 »
I still think it was a good era though.
I tell the grand kids, I wish I was young again, but when I was young, not now.
It was so easy back then, (1960s). I could walk out of a job and start another the next week for another 1/- per hour.
I played that documentary about Mods & Rockers to my Granddaughter and she said " what a fabulous time ".
I met my girlfriend at the youth club, age 15 and we were together until she died age 70.
Ahh, memories.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #6 on: 01.06. 2018 17:07 »
I could walk out of a job and start another the next week for another 1/- per hour.
And I remember job interviews back then when only two questions were asked. "When can you start and do you have any mates that want a job?" Same went for the seventies. You are right about the good times. There was plenty of work available, and what is more it was well paid work too. I had a very good life back then.   No such thing as short term contracts, or zero hours contracts. I could enjoy buying pretty much what ever I wanted, and was able to save money too. Most places had a good pension scheme (final salary in many cases) and sick pay. I am appalled by what goes on in the work place today. Successive governments have, and continue to bang on about people not saving enough money for their retirement. With today's lack of job security and low pay scales where are people supposed to get the money from to do it? Yes, I am so very grateful that I am not a young working person now. Do you remember when if you wanted to see a doctor you just used to go to the surgery ( no appointment necessary) you just waited your turn and got seen. No waiting to go into hospital either if you needed to. No doubt it about we sure had it good. Who remembers listening to Radio Caroline, and Big L (Radio London)? The more I think about it the more I realise how lucky I was to have been young in the sixties and seventies. Sadly those times have gone for ever. We will never enjoy anything like that again.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 01.06. 2018 17:37 »
Here, Here.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 01.06. 2018 17:45 »
Who knows, today's youngster 's may well be saying the same things when they are our age.

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #9 on: 01.06. 2018 19:58 »
Who knows, today's youngster 's may well be saying the same things when they are our age.
Well indeed, who knows? However back in the sixties especially there was an air of optimism and expectancy. A definite sense that we were on the cusp of a change. And we were. A new day was dawning. Ours was the first generation that had a real disposable income to spend. We had our own fashions, our own music, which the rest of the world took up with great enthusiasm. Britain was top dog. We were ahead of America with pop music for example. The British Invasion as the Americans called it. Icons and export winners like the BMC Mini, The E type Jaguar, the mini skirt swept all before them. Britain and the British were perceived as the height of chic. Things are very different today though, and one of the most noticeable changes is skills shortage. Very few companies are prepared to train these days. The trouble is these days we are a high cost (housing for example) low wage economy. I can't think of anyone when I was young that lived with mum and dad for a moment longer than they had to by choice. My how that has changed. I left home and spread my wings because I could afford to. I am not to sure how many young people when they get to our age will look back on poor working conditions and unsecure employment with fondness. Most young people that I know feel quite pessimistic because of the uncertainty they face over housing and employment. How very lucky our generation were. I am so glad that I will not have to live in the world that my grand children are going to have to live in.

Offline CotswoldsA7

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 01.06. 2018 20:41 »
Respect for Roy C's quote about walking into a job so easily back then,but I think we all had the 'work ethic' whatever that is. We knew we had to work to improve our lots and get on. Probably from our parents!
So sad about the loss of your good lady too Roy. But you had a great life together I presume and there's so much to be said for that. I have a super lady now,but have shed a few tears along the way to find her.
Respect. C

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 01.06. 2018 22:41 »
hi guys, as GB says(In 1970 I was earning £20 a week and thought I was doing well) about the same for me. Now you have credit cards to buy anything you need/want, big mistake that invention . The kids have to pay for their education and apprenticeships so that is why they dont want to work student loans are a major stumbling block. Everyone today seems to live beyond there needs even booking holidays on the credit card cranking up dept until they finish up on the bones of their idiot, i hate to say it but a war is probably needed to bring everything back to zero so we can start again,,,, cheers   
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 02.06. 2018 05:07 »
And we survived day to day without a mobile phone.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 02.06. 2018 10:38 »
and I thought I was the only crabby old fart on here, memory is quite a selective thing guys, although some truth in what you say the rose tinted glasses would struggle with a journey back in that Delorean
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 02.06. 2018 10:57 »
Yes, the older we get the faster we were
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7