Author Topic: MOT exemption question  (Read 484 times)

Online Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
MOT exemption question
« on: 02.06. 2018 21:03 »
hi,
     just taxed my bike online ,its free because its historic on the v5c. When doing so the web site tells me it no longer needs an MOT,and i have to tick a box or say yes ,(i can`t remember which) to confirm this is correct.My question is do i still have to fill out any other forms for the DVLA or not ? .The more i read about it the more i get confused ,and if i check the MOT status on the DVLA web site it says "no results returned" ,but this is in light blue box and not red.
Cheers Rob
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: MOT exemption question
« Reply #1 on: 02.06. 2018 23:35 »
I think so, it's a V627/1 form.

I had to go into this very carefully due to heavy modifications. It appears I'm ok due to them being done over thirty years ago. (Actually fifty years this year as a chopper, B.S.A. Were still in business for another five years or so after it got the treatment!)

I feel old!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 03.06. 2018 10:23 »
Hi Rob, this may help you. I also seached the gov site for info relating to my particular situation (see below).  On the gov site (somewhere obscure) I found a list of club experts who were allocated by the DVLC to answer questions relating to historic vehicles. I sent an email to the BSAOC expert given.

bsamarqueexpert@bsaownersclub.co.uk

Here's a pic file of my email and the reply I received.

1960 Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 03.06. 2018 11:35 »

Just taxed my Flash on line (was sorn -ed for a year or three while I fettled the RGF), was very easy as it's MOT exempt now, so now I can arrange an MOT or roadworthy certificate at my leisure, not trying to fit it in with an untaxed run to the MOT station (and possible uninsured also- never was sure about the one)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 03.06. 2018 12:15 »
Insure it before you ride it to the test station.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 03.06. 2018 12:36 »
Insure it before you ride it to the test station.

Thanks TT, I always was insured, I was thinking more along the lines of whether your insurance would still be valid if the bike was not taxed or MOT'd as you rode to the MOT station
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 03.06. 2018 14:44 »
You will be insured.

I can’t guarantee that your typical slippery insurance company wouldn’t put up some argument in the case of a claim though.

Offline RogerSB

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 03.06. 2018 15:10 »
If not taxed, as I understand it you're ok (and legal by law) as long as you pre arrange for your MOT and it's booked in. Then you must go straight there and home again - no nice rides in the countrside on the way there or back  *sad2*.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 06.06. 2018 21:17 »
thanks for the replies,so i guess i assume the DVLA have it mot exempt on their system and i dont have to do anything else.I am sure plod will explain if i get stopped. Or i might just email the DVLA and wait.
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline RogerSB

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 06.06. 2018 21:48 »
As for as I can make out from Chris, BSAOC expert who answered my query, if your BSA is already classed as an Historic Vehicle on the V5C then it is exempt from MOT from 20-5-18. If it's not classed as Historic on the V5C then you must get it changed, if your bike qualifies, for it to become exempt.

If you email DVLA with a question I think you may have to be prepared for a long wait *pull hair out*.
(Edit: is DVLA not DVLC).

1960 Golden Flash

Online beezermacc

• Resident Legend
  • Not for the purist!
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: 06.06. 2018 22:45 »
Just taxed my Super Rocket online. During the process I was told that DVLA believes my bike to be over 40 years old and therefore does not require an MOT provided it has not been significantly altered. The 'significantly altered' (might have been 'substantially changed' - can't remember) bit is underlined in blue so you can click it to get a definition of what 'significantly altered' means. I didn't bother because my Super Rocket has only had its wheels , tank, seat, engine, primary transmission, mudguards, rear suspension and headlight changed (you may detect a hint of sarcasm here). Even though these items have been changed they are still 'period' and the bike still looks like a Super Rocket so it has not been significantly altered. I had to tick a box which is a self-declaration that the bike has not been significantly altered. So, provided you can tick the box with a clear conscience, your bike is MOT free....yipeeeee!!
The DVLA have given more consideration to cars than motorcycles (fancy that....well I never!) and their advice is found by following this link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria
Priory Magnetos Ltd - A10 spares, magneto and dynamo refurbs. www.priorymagnetos.co.uk

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 06.06. 2018 23:33 »

..... I didn't bother because my Super Rocket has only had its wheels , tank, seat, engine, primary transmission, mudguards, rear suspension and headlight changed (you may detect a hint of sarcasm here)........

But it's still the same bike/axe/hoe/shovel ..... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RogerSB

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 07.06. 2018 08:22 »
I was told that DVLA believes my bike to be over 40 years old and therefore does not require an MOT provided it has not been significantly altered.
I had to tick a box which is a self-declaration that the bike has not been significantly altered. So, provided you can tick the box with a clear conscience, your bike is MOT free....yipeeeee!!

I taxed my GF 12 days before the law changed, so there was no box for me to tick on the form so in effect I wasn't able to declare my bike as not significantly changed. Its tax didn't expire until 31 May so doing it early has just complicated it for me *doh*. I'm assuming that even though there was no box for me to tick to be able to declare it unchanged to the DVLA, as it is still a bog standard GF and would qualify for exemption, - it is! *conf*.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Rex

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 07.06. 2018 09:11 »
You will be insured.
I can’t guarantee that your typical slippery insurance company wouldn’t put up some argument in the case of a claim though.

Which would be the case if the bike had an MoT, no matter whether it was 30 minutes or 11 1/2 months after it's last MoT test.

Offline Sav

• Moving Up
  • Webmaster VMCC Men of Kent
    • Ashley, Ripple & Studdal Enthusiasts
« Reply #14 on: 07.06. 2018 09:14 »
My A&SS tax expires at the end of the month and the MOT a day later, which I always maintained to be able to tax it on line in advance.

This year I am going to wait until the second of July so that I get the tick box and can be certain the migration to no MOT needed is complete.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 New addition 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes. M23 turned out to be the most unreliable bike I have ever handled.
2017 finally found the liner/barrel were flexing and causing all the overheating/nipping up. Early B33 barrel fitted and it's reliable at last!