Author Topic: MOT exemption question  (Read 515 times)

Offline cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: MOT exemption question
« Reply #15 on: 07.06. 2018 10:41 »
An interesting point for me is that one of ‘modification’. I do not remember any such stipulation (but I could be wrong) when we went exempt at 1960. The reason for my concern – I have a 1967 Bantam D10/14 hybrid which has been hard tailed and carries no lighting (daytime use only). When I read up on mods it did suggest that those permissible would be any conducted within 10 years of manufacture – which I suppose brings us to anything done in the last 30 years against the rolling 40 years they have now introduced.

What to do? Well the early Bantams were rigid anyway of course. And beyond that, who is to say when mine was fooled with. I’ll probly just ride my luck, it was built more for track than road anyway (it is not declared as modified for insurance either – I did talk to CN about it but they never got back to me).

I probably did less than 50 miles on the public highway last year on a few forays out to the pub, and it's currently in dry dock waiting for me to complete the build up of the 'hot' engine.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #16 on: 07.06. 2018 20:54 »
i noticed a some of you have taxed you bikes before may 20th and never got the option of the tick box to declare mot exempt.All i did to get this option was to re-tax my bike ,i got a warning on the web site about it already being taxed and a may get charged twice for my road tax....but so what ,twice nothing is still nothing !
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 08.06. 2018 10:53 »
Thanks for that tip. I tried it and found if you put in the 16 digit number from the reminder form (V11) it won't let you go any further saying there's an error, but if you elect to do it by putting in the 11 digit document reference number on the V5C it will allow you to tax it twice *smile*.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #18 on: 11.06. 2018 20:43 »
actually got a reply from the DVLA ,

Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6 June 2018, concerning the above.

The DVLA operate the Vehicle Check service, so you will need to contact them for advice on the information displayed on it.

The DVLA Email Service can be found here

Telephone: 0300 790 6801 for drivers queries.

0300 790 6802 for vehicle queries.

However, under new legislation that came into effect on 20 May 2018, certain vehicles constructed or first registered more than 40 years ago are now exempt from MOT testing, unless they have been substantially changed.

As long as the DVLA have a date of manufacture/first use on the vehicle record which shows the vehicle is over 40 years old, the on-line tax renewal system and other enforcement systems should automatically pick up that the vehicle is MOT exempt.

If, for some reason, the system is still not allowing a vehicle to be taxed, there is also a V112 (self-declaration from MOT) application form that can be completed and taken to a Post Office.

The V112 can be found here and was updated to show the above exemption on 20 May 2018.

I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Over 90% of customers surveyed are satisfied with the service we have provided. Let us know what you think by clicking here.

Kind regards

Louise Kiernan | Customer Service Centre

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency | The Ellipse, Padley Road, Swansea, SA1 8AN

Phone: 0300 123 9000 |

i copied and pasted from the original email ,not sure why there such big spaces ?
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 11.06. 2018 21:07 »
Thanks for posting that.
(Edit): DVLC = Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency. DVSA = Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency *pull hair out*.

1960 Golden Flash