Author Topic: 4 spring Cluch adjustment  (Read 1886 times)

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 4 spring Cluch adjustment
« Reply #15 on: 30.07. 2018 20:38 »
Hi Bill,
Which plate goes in first depends on which inner drum is fitted,
If the inner drum has a lip at the inner edge then a plain plate goes in first
The "later" clutch with the thrust washer and no lip on the inner drum, then a friction goes in first sitting against the back of the clutch basket
I put a bit about it in this topic https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=9646.msg70166#msg70166

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 30.07. 2018 21:59 »
Thanks John, wish I'd mentioned it before I put the cover on  *roll*
I'll have another look at your bit before I take it out, the thrust washer?? are you referring to the large thick washer that goes on after the tab washer and before the clutch nut?
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 30.07. 2018 22:24 »
Hi Bill,
are you referring to the large thick washer that goes on after the tab washer and before the clutch nut?
No,
Attached is the photo of the shaft adaptor fitted into the chainwheel, the thrust washer can be seen between them
When the unlipped inner drum is fitted the spring pressure pushes the plate pack against the basket
so a thrust bearing washer is needed to let the chainwheel rotate freely on the rollers

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 31.07. 2018 09:34 »
Thanks John, I don't recall the washer, the bike is 61 but as you know that does not mean the clutch is 61,
The extra plate makes it really difficult to get the spring nuts started, was thinking of making something to allow a couple of nuts diametrically opposed to get on without springs to compress it a bit before fitting them all.
MMM a bit of a dilemma then - strip it down again or ride and see, first I need to look at your piece
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 31.07. 2018 10:00 »
The thust washer is not a standard A10 4 spring fitment, it needs a special adaptor to take it. The adaptor comes with a complete SRM clutch and at one time was listed in the Unity Equipe catalogue.

The SRM clutch takes the standard number of plates for the 4 spring clutch- 5 bonded 6 plain, plain in first.

As an aside if you want extra plates in your 4 spring clutch it will, provided your hub is standard width and not one of the narrow ones, take 6 bonded plates plus one extra plain from the BSA/Triumph unit twin multiplate clutch kit. The bonded plates are both thinner and narrower than the standard ones and appear to have lining made from different material.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 31.07. 2018 12:34 »
provided your hub is standard width and not one of the narrow ones, take 6 bonded plates plus one extra plain from the BSA/Triumph unit twin multiplate clutch kit.

OK John that's what was in, I've put it back with the first plain plate out.
It did work well, only thing was as I said getting the springs pressed in and turning the spring nut at the same time to get it on the thread.
when adjusted nicely there was one coil of spring showing.
yea I think safest thing to do is dismantle and put back as was or with one of each plate out, think my plates are original type certainly smaller pads of friction material than in your pic.
Many thanks for your input once again
All the best - Bill