Author Topic: GB is not OK, again!  (Read 7826 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
GB is not OK, again!
« on: 11.06. 2018 21:53 »
After adjusting the clutch this evening I took the bike for a gentle pootle. Got about a mile away...Bang! followed by a fairly heavy rattle. I very gingerly rode home, the engine was running just as smoothly but sounded horrible. I've taken the drive side cover off to see if it was anything to do with the clutch as I'd just been in there; that all appears normal. I've come indoors now and made myself a stiff drink. I'm thinking big end failure. I'll fess up and tell you that I reused the big end bolts that I put in new 6 years ago. Oh well, it looks like I'm destined to miss another BSAOC camp!  *sad2*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: GB is not OK, again!
« Reply #1 on: 11.06. 2018 22:00 »
Damn  *sad2* My sympathy. Courage, you'll find the problem (...and make another educating topic for the good of other owners).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 11.06. 2018 22:25 »
I don’t see how re-using bolts would make it go bang in the first five minutes, but we’ll see.
Did it have good oil pressure when you started it?

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.06. 2018 22:33 »
Oh NO, not again.  *problem*  You are making me very nervous about taking my bike out for a run.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.06. 2018 22:39 »

Hmmmm, not good- where's the fat lady *????*  It's her fault  *bash*

Hope it's nothing major- or you'll become an expert at  'stiff-drink' mixing reviews too  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 11.06. 2018 22:39 »
I don’t see how re-using bolts would make it go bang in the first five minutes, but we’ll see.m
Did it have good oil pressure when you started it?
In a hurry to get out before dark, forgot to look in the tank.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.06. 2018 23:27 »
After adjusting the clutch this evening I took the bike for a gentle pootle. Got about a mile away...Bang! followed by a fairly heavy rattle. I very gingerly rode home, the engine was running just as smoothly but sounded horrible. I've taken the drive side cover off to see if it was anything to do with the clutch as I'd just been in there; that all appears normal. I've come indoors now and made myself a stiff drink. I'm thinking big end failure. I'll fess up and tell you that I reused the big end bolts that I put in new 6 years ago. Oh well, it looks like I'm destined to miss another BSAOC camp!  *sad2*

Don’t run it until you have checked if it’s serious! Hopefully it’s not though. The attached pics (not my A65, thankfully) are from a bike that just had a rattle, no smoke, and which we stood around revving on it’s stand to see if it could still do the rally run. Makes me cringe at the extra carnage we may have caused. Piston had broken was the diagnosis when it got back home (via trailer).
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 12.06. 2018 02:26 »
GB,

I think you know we all feel horrible for you about this. I think of you as a person of determination, so I expect you will be back to it soon. Maybe a couple of days off to take in Spring. You know what they say, "Stop and smell the roses," then get back amongst the oil. Wish I was close enough to help.

Richard L.

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #8 on: 12.06. 2018 06:50 »
I took the A10 off the road when it suddenly started making a knocking noise on the way to work one morning. 17 years later, I decided to tackle the engine strip. Off came the outer primary chaincase to reveal - a slackened off cush drive nut. That's all that was wrong. Just as well the A7 was running perfectly all that time. Fingers crossed your problem is as easily sorted.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 12.06. 2018 07:20 »
Oh no! I can't add anything except *sad2*.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 12.06. 2018 07:26 »
Followed your experience with interest, and was overwhelmed with the forums support, stick at it, here's hoping it's something simple and you get back riding her again shortly.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 12.06. 2018 08:48 »
G'day GB.
BUGGA *ex* Back to the drawing board.
I doubt a loose cush nut would start with a bang. I know you would have cleaned everything but could it have been a missed piece of the errant little end hiding in there to jam a pinion. Next step would be to look inside the timing cover.
Big end bolt is possible but I used the same original (1957) bolts in my race A7SS for 8 years in numerous rebuilds doing 8 grand and 14:1 comp. Snapped a few cranks and lifted a few barrels but never had a big end let go.
To get the right answer this time quicker you need to offer more than a kiss *eek*.
We're all rooting for you. *shh*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 12.06. 2018 08:53 »
To get the right answer this time quicker you need to offer more than a kiss *eek*.
I'm braced!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 12.06. 2018 09:49 »

I know I'll be up early counting the stars again, and lucky had too-good-a-deal at the bottlo the other day so...just exactly what kind of 'bang' and 'rattle' was it....from where-ish...?

Rattle and Hum is almost acceptable, but Bang and Rattle didn't really make the charts

I snapped a crank once and it would've also got me a few Km's home, except we were still in miles then...and it got me home
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 12.06. 2018 09:59 »
Commiserations GB
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco