Author Topic: GB is not OK, again!  (Read 7863 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: GB is not OK, again!
« Reply #45 on: 13.06. 2018 04:14 »

Not sure what  you mean there bergs... I can see unusual gaps there, but  *conf2*... come on fess up-spit it out
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #46 on: 13.06. 2018 04:20 »
on it,, shit parts and a worn barrel{highly unlikely[ or just shit fowollers{SEE TOLD YA I WENT TO PUB} *beer* *beer*

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #47 on: 13.06. 2018 05:12 »
OK, how about this theory: One of those dodgy followers got stuck. I cannot see any damage on the piston crowns. I'd better check the valves.

Good idea, a bent valve can cause a big tappet clearance (and rattle) as it does not return fully to closed position.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #48 on: 13.06. 2018 06:55 »
Sorry to hear GB...  I hope it's a easy fix..
I had much the same problem just after a rebuild..
When the exhaust valve heated it nipped in the guide & the piston just kissed the valve..
A new valve & re ream the guide fixed my problem.
Check the valves have plenty of clearance in the guides..
Good luck with it mate...
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #49 on: 13.06. 2018 11:17 »
Hi GB have the SRM followers arrived yet ? I don't know about diamond coating but theones I got nearly 10 yrs ago are still superb ,well worth the money ,hope it sorts it ,Bob
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #50 on: 13.06. 2018 13:29 »
Hi GB have the SRM followers arrived yet ? I don't know about diamond coating but theones I got nearly 10 yrs ago are still superb ,well worth the money ,hope it sorts it ,Bob
They have not arrived yet, Bob and there is no email update from SRM, so I hope they winging their way to me ATM.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #51 on: 13.06. 2018 14:33 »
I've just dropped out the new but knackered cam followers. One shows clear signs of a pushrod bearing on the lip. (looks like similar on another but not so pronounced). I'm sure that this caused the latest noise problem. I guess I  must have left it like that and the rod freed while I was riding *red*. I've just filled the head combustion chambers with petrol and it didn't leak so I'm happy that the valves didn't take a hit.

Why have the followers worn so rapidly? I can only assume they are crap. I bought them from Feked. I'll be asking for a refund.

The SRM steel pushrods are all straight, thank goodness.

Look at those sexy SRM followers!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #52 on: 13.06. 2018 15:11 »

With all the care you (thought you) took, it's a bad blue- but kinda lucky really as it enabled you to find such bad wear early....and it seemed to fall into place instead of out of place, could've been hazardous.

In the first photo, the right rear lifter looks to have a mis-location mark on it too, but maybe the rod was sitting on them both for a short time (could also have been hazardous)

Are they a good fit in their housing slots with regard to bergers previous observation, or was that (hopefully) just an optical thing...?

Hoping that's the total 'damage' and the replacements arrive before too many (more) 'stiffies'..... *beer*    *smile*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #53 on: 13.06. 2018 15:25 »

With all the care you (thought you) took, it's a bad blue- but kinda lucky really as it enabled you to find such bad wear early....and it seemed to fall into place instead of out of place, could've been hazardous.

In the first photo, the right rear lifter looks to have a mis-location mark on it too, but maybe the rod was sitting on them both for a short time (could also have been hazardous)

Are they a good fit in their housing slots with regard to bergers previous observation, or was that (hopefully) just an optical thing...?

Hoping that's the total 'damage' and the replacements arrive before too many (more) 'stiffies'..... *beer*    *smile*

Yes indeed, rather lucky that I found those followers. I want to blame the followers for the pushrod misplacement but I have to admit it might have been me. (So much for my foolproof tappet location method. I'll have to add a further note to that post to advise applying pressure on the rocker arm to make sure the pushrod stays in place while the wires are pulled off.

The followers seemed to fit in the block ok.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #54 on: 13.06. 2018 15:55 »
i recon morris has got it. they are made from cheese, it reminds me of soft cams in ducatis made in spain years ago,i notice holes in your push rods grey beard maybe you can't feel the sucky motion when they are sat in the follower cups with a bit of oil in them  *dunno* . and as was pointed out its not a nice thing to find in one way but it is in another, you will be well pleased with the srm jobbies I got some last year for an engine I WILL get round to doing, even though they are pricey

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #55 on: 13.06. 2018 16:05 »

.........I'm wondering if the noise that I heard was a sudden massive increase in valve clearance. I'm trying to convince myself that that is what it was. ......

GB that's the only mention you make of that, I was wondering if you happened to check or notice any extra valve clearance when you started your forensics.....I guess if the offending one was on the up at the time of unbolting, would be hard to notice without doing a dedicated lap of 'em all...?
 all in all, we all (I'm sure) keeping fingas crossed that's the only thing wrong....
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #56 on: 13.06. 2018 17:24 »
i notice holes in your push rods grey beard maybe you can't feel the sucky motion when they are sat in the follower cups with a bit of oil in them...
Yes, you are right! I was wondering why the oil was not acting on them! There was a little piece of cam follower inside one of the pushrods before I cleaned them today.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #57 on: 13.06. 2018 18:11 »
Personally, I think you have got to the bottom of what has happened, saying the pushrod was sat 'on' rather than 'in' the follower cup.

Two weeks ago I had my cam 'faced up' and fitted new followers (all S.R.M.) in mine. After fitting the rods, I nip the rocker box up and leaving a big tappet gap start fiddling with them. Spin them, lift them, and see if I can feel them trying to leave the follower cups, and then centralise as they fall down again.

Anyway, on to you........This time, as I spun the engine there was an almighty clank, and it was indeed a pushrod finding its own way off the edge and into the cup while under pressure. The noise was a valve slamming shut. I've clocked up a few hundred miles since, and all is well after checking everything three or four times on assembly.

Amongst all the advice, Muskrats is as good as any.....DON'T RUSH!.....Get on with it by all means, but reaching a point like tightening the rocker box for the last time calls for a brew, a ciggie and several checks to see all is well beforehand.

As for the followers themselves!.........What a disgrace!....In the past I've gone without food to buy S.R.M parts rather than go cheap, and I'd do it again if I had to in a heartbeat.

England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #58 on: 13.06. 2018 18:24 »
i notice holes in your push rods grey beard maybe you can't feel the sucky motion when they are sat in the follower cups with a bit of oil in them...
Yes, you are right! I was wondering why the oil was not acting on them! There was a little piece of cam follower inside one of the pushrods before I cleaned them.

And that confirms it!

As we say in England, take your time, and hurry up!

Yorkshire beckons.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #59 on: 13.06. 2018 21:17 »
When I've landed a pushrod on the lip of a follower, the giveaway was the adjuster screw being much further out than the others.

Ricard L.