Author Topic: ATF  (Read 2012 times)

Online Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
Re: ATF
« Reply #15 on: 15.06. 2018 00:16 »
black &tan is the way to go *beer*

As a friend of mine once said (which got him kicked out of the pub)"I'd rather drink road tar"
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #16 on: 15.06. 2018 01:29 »
yeah i  would fosters is weasel ***, or do you mean , the good for you guinness

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 15.06. 2018 07:31 »
yeah i  would fosters is weasel ***, or do you mean , the good for you guinness

If it's good enough for crocodile dundee.  *dunno* 

Any way, we will be chastised for being off topic soon. 
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 15.06. 2018 09:48 »
No one has yet answered the original question!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 15.06. 2018 10:03 »
No one has yet answered the original question!

I used F type ATF until I fitted a SRM clutch. SRM say, DON'T USE ATF.
so I now used Castrol 20-50.

Edit.  What we used to do with our American automatics was  -
        For a positive gear change use F.
        Foe a more gentle gear change use Dexron.
        Dexron allows slippage, where as F don't.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 15.06. 2018 10:23 »
Well spotted GB - it's called politics ;)

Last summer I put 8 fl oz of Halfords ATF  in mine and it was ok without any noticeable problems . . . .

Then I changed it in November (just for the winter months) for Castrol GTX High Mileage SAE 15-40 because I had a full 5L of it . . . .
Then I changed it again in February for Morris Golden Film 20W/50 after changing from original 6-spring clutch to SRM 4-spring . . . .
Then again in May for Morris Suspension 20 WT because I read somewhere that it's ideal for the primary chaincase because of its anti-foaming poperties . . . .
Then at the beginning of June I noticed a slight  *eek* weep from the drain plug (on my non-leaking-oil GF) so fitted new washers and then went back to Morris Golden Film 20W/50 again . . . .

I've not noticed any difference in any of them on the performance of the clutch *smiley4*.

(Edit): As Roy has said with the SRM clutch kit the instruction specifically advises against ATF.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 15.06. 2018 10:39 »

Then at the beginning of June I noticed a slight  *eek* weep from the drain plug (on my non-leaking-oil GF) so fitted new washers and then went back to Morris Golden Film 20W/50 again . . . .

I've not noticed any difference in any of them on the performance of the clutch *smiley4*.

(Edit): As Roy has said with the SRM clutch kit the instruction specifically advises against ATF.

Funny you should say that Roger.
I could never stop a slight leak with ATF, since changing to Castrol 20/50 it's as dry as a bone.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 15.06. 2018 10:49 »
Last summer I put 8 fl oz of Halfords ATF  in mine and it was ok without any noticeable problems . . . .

I bought a bottle of Halford's generic 'Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid DIII'. Recommended for applications requiring Dexron® III.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/gearbox-oil/halfords-automatic-transmission-power-steering-fluid-diii-1l

Does anybody have anything to say about using that stuff?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #23 on: 15.06. 2018 10:51 »
since changing to Castrol 20/50 it's as dry as a bone.

The BSA Instruction Manual and other books on BSA Twins all say use seasonal engine oil in the primary chaincase.

1960 Golden Flash

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #24 on: 15.06. 2018 11:15 »
I bought a bottle of Halford's generic 'Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluid DIII'. Recommended for applications requiring Dexron® III.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/gearbox-oil/halfords-automatic-transmission-power-steering-fluid-diii-1l

Just checked and that's exactly the Halfords ATF I used, but that was when I still had a 6-spring - which itself wasn't exactly perfect - but the ATF wasn't the problem.

Without wishing to go off topic this might amuse: To hopefully make that clutch work better I decided to alter the position of the chainwheel bearing very slightly. To refit I put the bearing in the freezer, chainwheel in the oven.  While waiting decided to go back in garage to do a 'quick little' job - that took the usual long time and I forgot about the chainwheel in the oven. I had to take it out of the oven with oven gloves and open all the windows. The heat must have distorted it because on assembly the plates kept jamming = new SRM clutch.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 15.06. 2018 11:29 »

It always used to be Dexron for GM trany's and F for Ford Trany's.
If you wanted to have fast positive changes that went in with a jolt, use F.
For that wonderful GM feeling, a lazy smooth gear change use Dexron.

If you insist on using ATF, there is less chance of slipping with F. than with Dexron.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #26 on: 15.06. 2018 11:43 »
roger did you cook the corks *eek* that bearing slips on easily if you mean the twin ball race, my 6 spring is brilliant.i re corked the wheel years ago and use those surflex plain and modern bonded friction plates

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 15.06. 2018 12:19 »

.No one has yet answered the original question..

Whatdya call this  ;

.. Something I know little about, but the question was asked a couple of years ago and if I recall the answers were varied then, but I think the consensus *may* have been 'F' type.....

last lot I bought is Penrite Multi-Vehicle DX-111, but as I have some hydraulic oil to use up, I've also been using that; I think it's a ISO 30

The answers will be many and varied (like all oil threads) and they all still leak    *smile*

edited ..

*????*

I fail to see how 'F' or 'GM' in the primary will affect the gear changes- smoother or harsher   *conf2*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 15.06. 2018 12:45 »
I fail to see how 'F' or 'GM' in the primary will affect the gear changes- smoother or harsher   *conf2*
It won't on a BSA clutch.
I was just pointing out the different effects that we used to get when I was into American auto tuning in the 70s and 80s.
If there was less slip with F then, there will be less chance of slip on a BSA clutch now.
Because SRM say that ATF will make their clutches slip. There will be less chance with F than with Dexron.
The only reason for having any fluid in the primary is to lubricate the chain, so why not use the proper oil ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 15.06. 2018 13:26 »
The only reason for having any fluid in the primary is to lubricate the chain, so why not use the proper oil ?
Leak detection
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK