Author Topic: ATF  (Read 2013 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: ATF
« Reply #30 on: 15.06. 2018 14:50 »
Leak detection
Speaking of which, since using a non setting thread sealant on the bottom primary chain case screws I no longer have any primary chain case leaks. However after a ride there is evidence of a slight weep from the filler cap. Could the reason for this be pressure building up or is it maybe the fiber washer not sealing very well? Either way it is not serious it's just nuisance value.

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #31 on: 15.06. 2018 16:03 »
roger did you cook the corks *eek* that bearing slips on easily if you mean the twin ball race, my 6 spring is brilliant.i re corked the wheel years ago and use those surflex plain and modern bonded friction plates

No not the middle bearing, it's the one the bush with ball bearings fit in, proper name is ball race ring (see photo). Photo is of the actual offending piece that's been in the corner of my garage since it was removed.  The corks didn't seem affected by the heat.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 15.06. 2018 16:41 »
there is evidence of a slight weep from the filler cap.
Mine does that. I tend to nip it up with a pair of Gland Nut Pliers, (trying, not always successfully to not slip off and damage the edge of the plug!)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #33 on: 15.06. 2018 16:56 »
I give it a light tap with a screwdriver in the grippy bits - never had a leak there.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 15.06. 2018 16:58 »
there is evidence of a slight weep from the filler cap.

Mine did that so I put an O ring on it, it don't leak no more.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #35 on: 16.06. 2018 04:37 »
I have been to the pub , yes roger the bits i'm thinking of, you have to be gentle with them and talk yourself out of doing them harm *pull hair out*, they need gentle persuasion. and lots of get in ya B'stards etc... but once they are in and used a bit they are like a working girls knickers , on and off very easily the next time you need to play *good3*

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #36 on: 16.06. 2018 11:38 »
I have been to the pub , yes roger the bits i'm thinking of, you have to be gentle with them and talk yourself out of doing them harm *pull hair out*, they need gentle persuasion. and lots of get in ya B'stards etc... but once they are in and used a bit they are like a working girls knickers , on and off very easily the next time you need to play *good3*

Cheers Berger, the ring was a very tight 'press' fit in the chainwheel but I did knock it out with a suitable size old outer bearing race and a lump hammer but couldn't knock it back in 'squarely' that way - hence the disastrous (for me) freezer and oven method. The centre bush with the ball bearings around it wasn't any problem being an easy sliding fit.

1960 Golden Flash