Author Topic: Kickstart Return Spring - '49 A7  (Read 584 times)

Offline Craig

• Moving Up
Kickstart Return Spring - '49 A7
« on: 15.06. 2018 10:13 »
Hello Gents

I have had a search through the various boards for the info I am looking for but cannot find it - so posting as am in need of some help.

Just finished rebuilding my gearbox - first time I have done this and been ok. Am now busy trying to put the kick start return spring and quadrant back but cannot seem to get it to work. It will move in the kick direction but it will not return back up.

The spring is the early flat type - 67-3157 - Bike is 1949 BSA A7 - longstroke.

When putting the spring back on, how much tension / how many turns of the spring should be done before the quadrant is meshed with the Kickstart ratchet pinion?
I assume you actually mesh the first tooth of the quadrant with the Kickstart ratchet pinion so it is in position?

Anybody have any images of a complete set up (without the gearbox outer cover on)?

Any tips and tricks to getting this done right?

Cheers

Craig

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Kickstart Return Spring - '49 A7
« Reply #1 on: 15.06. 2018 11:54 »
Had an issue like that recently when exchanging the gearbox inner cover for another one.
In spite of reusing the same bushes, the kick needed a push to come back up.
A quick polish of the quadrant shaft with some 400 grade in the lathe cured it
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 15.06. 2018 12:28 »

Craig, after you've pout the spring on,   just wind the kick-lever a full turn and let the clutch arm hold it from returning while you jiggle the cover on.
 When it's almost on,  the return stop peg will get in the way so you'll need to rotate the lever a bit more to crease that and it should just slip on.

That *should* be enough pre-load
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Craig

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 04.07. 2018 03:24 »
Thanks Dutch - Helped a lot.
Had to load the spring with 2 full turns (once was just not quite enough power for a return). The hint about using the clutch arm was awesome.

Also learn't a lot about not over tightening the clutch ratchet nut...... took few goes to get that right.