Author Topic: SRM clutch  (Read 3232 times)

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: SRM clutch
« Reply #105 on: 30.07. 2019 16:54 »
My G/Flash, being 1960, has the two part combined drain and level plug that screws into the bottom of the chaincase. That's what I was referring to re fibre washers etc. Sorry Brian, I didn't clock that your bike was 1955 and will have separate drain and level screws in the bottom run of fixing screws. If your A10 is a swinging arm it'll still hold 225cc of oil and it'll be at that level when it stops running out of the level screw hole.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline BrianS

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #106 on: 30.07. 2019 17:36 »
Hi Roger. 
I may have got a later cover as I have the two-piece level plug as well ;-)
Brian
1955 BSA A10 Golden Flash
Exeter, Devon, UK

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #107 on: 30.07. 2019 19:47 »
Hi Brian, yes you'll have the later cover then. To drain off any overfilled oil you just remove the small nut only. When the oil level inside the chaincase gets to the same height as the top of the tube it'll stop running out and that means the oil level is correct. Undo the big nut to remove the whole plug if you want to drain all the oil out.

(Edit): Gary obviously assumed you had the earlier chaincase.
Also Brian your tube looks a bit short to me (I may be wrong). From memory it should be 7/8", but I'd  check it by measuring 8 fl oz (225 cc) in a measuring jug and pour it in through the inspection cover, remove the small nut on the plug and catch any oil that runs out (on level ground and on main stand). If its a lot it'll prove the tube is too short. Then you can pour the oil back in and you'll know your level is correct and whether the tube is the correct length, or not.

(Edit, edit):- Here's something to consider  *eek* :_
https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=10861.msg81435#msg81435

1960 Golden Flash

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #108 on: 30.07. 2019 22:19 »

For what it's worth, if you look down through the inspection hole the oil-level-boss and oil can be easily seen, so no real need to undo the screw and make a mess- principle is no different to the Plunger models like mine and close enough is good enough (a bright light is needed, I shine sun in via a small mirror *smile*)

This also helps for just checking it periodically for level, and I need to add a bit regularly- it must evaporate *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia