Author Topic: SRM clutch  (Read 12515 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
SRM clutch
« on: 19.06. 2018 21:20 »
I have an SRM 4 spring clutch. (Primary has Castrol 20.50).
When the bike has stood for a day and I come to start it up, pull the clutch lever in and go to kick start.
The clutch does not disengage, (like the plates are stuck together,) until I bump on the kick start a couple of times, then it frees up and works as normal.
It does this every time it has stood for a while.
Any ideas anyone ?

Roy
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: SRM clutch
« Reply #1 on: 19.06. 2018 22:27 »
I have an srm pressure plate on one bike and a similar but other version on the Flash - both do this if the bike has stood a bit, think it is a common thing, I automatically pull in clutch and give a sharp kick which fres it
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.06. 2018 22:54 »
I have an srm pressure plate on one bike and a similar but other version on the Flash - both do this if the bike has stood a bit, think it is a common thing, I automatically pull in clutch and give a sharp kick which fres it
I have to do exactly the same.
As long as it's nothing that I have done wrong setting it up.  *smile*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 20.06. 2018 08:52 »
G'day Roy.
Both mine do that. The plunger might take two or three kicks to free and the cafe with a sNorton diaphragm clutch takes two.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 20.06. 2018 09:34 »

this is kinda what I was getting at in the other thread of 'ATF' (?), but couldn't be arsed saying...ATF will maybe theoretically be more forgiving as far as 'stiction' goes than what heavier oil is... *dunno*..having said that, the Plunger chainwheel has a flange for the cover to bolt on to, that may inhibit oil flowing to the plates
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 20.06. 2018 09:49 »
Hi Roy,

I can't say if mine sticks (maybe it does). Currently using 8 fl oz of Morris Golden Film 20/50 in chaincase.  My starting routine is to tickle the carb, ease the kickstart by pulling in the clutch lever a bit to move it down about half way and not on tdc and then give it a couple of gentle press downs (not kicks) with my foot just to prime - bring it to tdc and then with usually one firm kick away she goes.

Having said that I haven't got my pressure plate screwed in too far. At least one spring coil showing when engaged as SRM instuctions. I have seen photos of them screwed in so far that the spring coils have disappeared inside the cups.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 20.06. 2018 10:07 »
Having said that I haven't got my pressure plate screwed in too far. At least one spring coil showing when engaged as SRM instuctions.
Hi Roger, I have my springs adjusted the same as yours.
I can go to my bike after it has stood for a day or two and, with the clutch pulled in I can kick it over a couple of times before the clutch will disengage.
It didn't do that with the six spring clutch.  *dunno*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 20.06. 2018 10:25 »
When my bike is in neutral and ticking over while on the centre stand the back wheel will turn slowly but stops easy enough if I put my toe against the side of the tyre so just enough friction there to turn it. As far as I can remember every bike I've had has done that. I wouldn't worry about it if you've no drag and can change gear and find neutral easy.

1960 Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #8 on: 20.06. 2018 11:45 »
i have not been to the pub, I use a six spring and allways give it a couple of free kicks before starting to free  it off , if I leave it a long time I can feel it freeing  I had a szki 750 and left for  3months it was a bstd to free off , some clutches if left for 6 months or more have to be drastickly freed off or taken apart, like leaving a handbrake on a car for 3 months and having to go back and forth to free it { allways leave in gear for long periods with handbrake off unless your on a mountain *eek*} as for the oil bit am I missing something because there should be no oil on the plates unless the clutch is designed to run in oil. back again , as for wheel rotation this means you have pretty good sleeve gear bushes

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.06. 2018 12:05 »
I have a 6 spring and I am in the office at work.

I never even have to bother to clear the clutch, even after a six month lay up. I am running ATF of unknown brand/type in there.

In that respect it is better than other of my bikes, most notably the XLH1200 and ZRX1200R which I have to clear by putting in gear and rocking backwards and forwards before then firing up. And even then that first shift into, err first, is with a hell of a bang.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #10 on: 20.06. 2018 12:12 »
now theres a thing , but do you get clutch slip with it when giving it race track treatment over 5500 rpm, I used to but have now set it up with no clunks into first or second and easily disengageing at standstill, ime still amazed it doesn't slip at super thrash mode..... time will tell *shh*

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 20.06. 2018 12:31 »
as for the oil bit am I missing something because there should be no oil on the plates unless the clutch is designed to run in oil.

Primary chain dips in 8 fl oz of oil in bottom of chaincase and then it gets thrown around and it gets on the clutch plates.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 20.06. 2018 12:57 »
I have a 6 spring and I am in the office at work.

I never even have to bother to clear the clutch, even after a six month lay up. I am running ATF of unknown brand/type in there.

I used ATF with my old 6-spring but SRM (whose 4-spring a lot of us have now) explicity advises against using ATF because of its anti-friction properties that can cause clutch slip. I always had difficulty selecting neutral with my 6-spring, changing gears was ok. Since fitting the 4-spring I've had no problems selecting neutral, no slip, no drag, very easy to set up as the non flexing pressure plate self-centralises and lifts squarly with the needle roller pusher.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #13 on: 20.06. 2018 13:18 »
At least with a pommy bike you can free the clutch with the kickstart. My XT500 takes off when put into gear and takes 1/4 mile of riding with the clutch lever pulled in before it breaks free  *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 20.06. 2018 14:04 »
At least with a pommy bike you can free the clutch with the kickstart. My XT500 takes off when put into gear and takes 1/4 mile of riding with the clutch lever pulled in before it breaks free  *eek*
Cheers
Can't you put the brakes on and use the starter to free it ?

Oh well, at lease I have learned that there is nothing wrong with my SRM. *smiley4*

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK