Author Topic: Front Brakes and fork springs  (Read 458 times)

Offline BSA Biker

• A's Good Friend
Front Brakes and fork springs
« on: 20.06. 2018 15:48 »
Hi All,

Yes I know that it was a subject that has been milked to death, but help please for a new comer with a short memory, (old age and senility set in years ago).
On the front of the Haynes A7/10 workshop manual the Blue A10 has a twin leading shoe front brake fitted to a standard full width front wheel. Some years ago I met the chap who owns that bike, he lived near Sherborne in Dorset, but then I didn't think to ask him how it was done, any help please and does anyone have a twin leading shoe set up for sale ?

On another track, does anyone know if progressive fork springs are available for our bikes, mine are the later type (1960 +) the potholes are getting worse on side roads everywhere now, not just in the UK.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Front Brakes and fork springs
« Reply #1 on: 20.06. 2018 15:54 »
fit right in although a portion of the shoes can miss the drum (depending on shoes fitted), the only problem is the slot that fits over the lug on the fork is usually a bit short so users increase the length of the lug or build up the sides of the slot.
Is a good brake, I have one on mine - downside I think is it just looks a little uh - BIG, some machine off the polished alloy flange
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 20.06. 2018 16:18 »
There are a few on ebay  -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bsa+triumph+TLS&_sacat=0 

Mine is 8"

I got my bosses built up with tigweld.

You will have to replace the A65 spindle with an A7 A10 spindle, but other than that it is quite a simple job.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline BSA Biker

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 21.06. 2018 19:37 »
I seem to remember that there were after market TLS plates etc made by John Tickle, it is so many years ago though perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

But surely they were made to fit directly in place of the standard SLS type.

Has anyone any info on the progressive fork springs, someone out there must make something like that. They make them (Tec Bike parts) for my 2017     (whisper it quietly) Triumph Bonneville.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 21.06. 2018 21:43 »
Hi
As far as I know progressive springs are available from SRM and probably the usual BSA suppliers

I rode a BSA single with them fitted, They were much too harsh in my opininion (for the bumpy roads in Ireland at least)
New standard springs are better than tired old ones

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 22.06. 2018 00:21 »
From (dim distant) memory, that TLS brake conversion is easier if you use the later fork sliders, I think that's what I did.

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 22.06. 2018 04:37 »
I have the John Tickle version,  if my memory serves me right purchased from Motor Cycle Accessories back in the late sixties/early seventies. The slot fit to fork lug was sloppy and corrected by adding packing shim.
During my bikes refurbishment in 2012 the Tickle brake plate slot was built up and matched to the lug.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.06. 2018 13:03 »
Eddie Dow did a conversion brake which plugged straight into the A10 fork and wheel with no mods. If you can find one beware its not the Triumph version.

Subject to previous posts;

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=11606.0

The Haynes manual A10 (an A10 of mine photographed back in 1980) the front brake was a BSA/Triumph 1969/70 one fitted with the proper wide brake surface hub with vertical spoke flange. It did not engage with the fork leg lug and plate built up with ali weld and filed to shape.