Author Topic: I have an idea re: shims  (Read 1181 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: I have an idea re: shims
« Reply #15 on: 21.06. 2018 23:05 »
smartsx1x, please will you mosey on over to Introductions and er introduce yourself with pictures of motorcycles, if possible. Ta muchly.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 22.06. 2018 01:07 »
Hi i'm new to this board thank you for letting me join
having bought a goldflash 1959 i soon found out that all that glitters is not necessarily gold,
so i am in the process of removing 9 peoples worth of hobby time from the engine etc,
my question is has any one thought about shimming the outer race on driveside roller bearing this would eliminate the need to fit those flimsey shims that i hear alot of horror storys about,the outer race would only stand proud an extra .05mm i would remove .05mm from the outer race protruding side to keep a good gap from crankshaft to allow oil flow ,the inner roller has a lot of clearence to the outer edge so dont see any problems .
has this been done before ? your thoughts advice would be appreciated
regards martin  *smile*

In my humble opinion the best solution is to get a single thick shim made up, to fit on the crank.

I know the shims get bolted up tight on the s/a engine, I’ve no experience of the plunger set up, and if that also bolts up tight, or relies on the pressure from the cush drive spring, others can chime in on that.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #17 on: 22.06. 2018 07:09 »
imho too kiwgf.
I tried a few years back a different wheeze, which didn't end well - before adopting a one-off single shim in the usual place.
The failed wheeze was to have the outside face of the left hand web behind the inner race built up with weld and finished for a perfect fit. It failed for a stupid reason - because we didn't extend the 'finish' quite far enough out radially from the centre line, and the bearing cage picked up a shard of new material and deposited it in the sump gauze.
Shame, 'cos I thought it was a good idea while the crank was out.
Single shim has been good ever since. (After unmachining the extra dollop of metal!)
Bill

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 22.06. 2018 07:10 »
and here's what came adrift!
Bill

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 22.06. 2018 08:29 »

.... I’ve no experience of the plunger set up, and if that also bolts up tight, or relies on the pressure from the cush drive spring, others can chime in on that.....

Without getting technical , it's much the same setup, except for the seal spacer (pre '54 had no seal, post '53 had a wider flange on the 'sprocket/ sleeve bush' for a seal), and a few different shapes/dimensions...

groily, sounds like a good idea, and reminds me of an old buddy's Dad said when he was talking about the Hardly Flathead chopper with Chev Pistons...." (Aussie drawl), Dave- that would'a been a good bike if it'd 'ave had brakes".... *eek*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 22.06. 2018 09:19 »
My first thought when I saw the first post was: How often do the standard shims cause a problem?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 22.06. 2018 09:34 »
My first thought when I saw the first post was: How often do the standard shims cause a problem?

Well we do seem to spend quite a lot of time chewing over the premature demise of these things, which is probably why we're discussing alternatives again.

Seems to me - from reading at least, the main problems stem from too skinny or too big a stack of too skinny shims; one thick one being best. And pulling it up tight enough on assembly.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 22.06. 2018 12:09 »
Yup. Mine hadn't been tight enough on the big nut I think.  There was about a millimetre of float - ouch! - when I got to it, so it was pretty bad, though the shims hadn't disintegrated. One had split though iirc.
So a big 4-pegged monster-weapon was knocked up with an inch 'n a 'arf hex  for a 3/4 drive socket to make sure I could do it up tight in future.
Seems to have stayed put since, although I don't make a habit of taking the primary case off to inspect it, I have to admit, because since following the wise advice of Brian down-under from on here to invest in Surflex clutch plates on the 4-springer on there, I haven't had to get the primary side open in years, literally.
Bill