Author Topic: welding  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Beman

• Active
welding
« on: 24.06. 2018 13:10 »
Hi
 I am new to this forum.
I own a 1959 super rocket.
I will try to fix a loose footpeg by weld it while on the bike.
Have been told that will damage the magneto.
Is that true?Do enybody of you know?

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: welding
« Reply #1 on: 24.06. 2018 14:20 »
 Welcome  *welcome* and STOP!  *warn* There is going to be no positive response to welding your footpeg in place. They need to be removable, or, at least, loosenable. How about posting some closeup pictures of where you think the problem is and where you are thinking of welding?

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.06. 2018 14:48 »
Hi Beman,  *welcome*

Please will you go to Introductions and tell the forum a little about yourself and your experience of motorcycles.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Beman

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 24.06. 2018 14:50 »
Thank you for your reply Richard.
I know, but this is only a temporary fix.The spine on the shaft is worn out and the fotpeg slides down when I stand on it to start the bike.I will replace it when winter comes.It seem to me that this is a bigger job, I have a enclosed chain guard and I think I must take off that and the primary
to remove the part.The summer is short here in Norway so I want to use the bike.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 24.06. 2018 15:52 »
Well, it sounds like you want to weld the footrest onto the splined footrest distance tube. I believe this means you would only lose the ability to adjust the footrest up/down angle. This might not be that big a deal, however, you said you wanted to do it while it's on the bike. That does not make sense to me. The distance tubes are removable by removing the crossbolt. Once off the bike, no welding electrical considerations are in play.

Now, we might wait for any opinion that says the welded combination can't be put back in position as a unit.

Richard L.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.06. 2018 17:00 »
I've been told that welding a vehicle with an alternator without disconnecting the battery can cause damage to the alternator. I doubt that a magneto would be damaged by welding while it is fitted,  but I suggest you wait 12 hours or so to give the forum experts a chance to have their say about this. There are members who will know the answer for sure.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 24.06. 2018 18:17 »
Hi Beman.  You could always buy a battery save unit that connects to the positive and negative terminals, so you can then weld to your hearts content,
without damaging any electrical items on your bike. Just make sure to buy a 6v or 12v unit that corresponds to your bikes voltage.   *smiley4*

ELLIS

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.06. 2018 18:21 »
Leaving the question, why do you have to do it while it's on the bike?

Offline Beman

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 24.06. 2018 18:32 »
hi
 as I told you in my reply this will be a temporary fix.to take out  the slined tube is a big job,

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.06. 2018 20:34 »
...You could always buy a battery save unit that connects to the positive and negative terminals, so you can then weld to your hearts content, without damaging any electrical items on your bike...
But the magneto has no connection to the bikes battery. Would the dynamo and regulator be damaged? I don't know.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline dave55

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 24.06. 2018 21:01 »
Hi, just a thought but would it be possible to drill through the footrest and shaft in situ then put a nut and bolt through like a cotter pin as its a temporary measure ?
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 24.06. 2018 21:08 »
G'day Beman.
I'm not 100% sure but to be on the safe side I'd disconnect the battery (both + & -) and also remove the magneto earth brush (under the screw on the flange side). May not be needed BUT!
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 24.06. 2018 21:15 »

musko rounded me up..... *smile*

G'day Beman, I know *for sure* that electric welding a vehicle without disconnecting the battery will fry an alternator, and but I haven't done a generator but expect would be the same- not hard, simply remove the battery cables....

I can't say about the magneto, but would at least remove the plug leads, and the carbon 'earth' brush(s) which may or not be necessary- the guru's will be able to confirm that....

Re the peg/spline, 'what the others have said', but if you weld it is another one probably wrecked forever, original ones must be coming to short supply and can't guarantee the quality of pattern ones so tread with care

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline jachenbach

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 24.06. 2018 21:26 »
From the replies, I'm beginning to think I'm the only one left who welds with oxyacetylene. Sometimes a mig, but I'm better with the torch.

Offline Beman

• Active
« Reply #14 on: 24.06. 2018 21:28 »
thank you.
I will disconect the battery