Author Topic: Any ideas why I have this screw in my inner timing case?  (Read 936 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Any ideas why I have this screw in my inner timing case?
« Reply #15 on: 28.06. 2018 18:43 »
Here you are.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 28.06. 2018 21:12 »
According to the lubrication chart it is recommended to lubricate the auto advance and retard unit every 2000 miles maybe a previous owner decided that instead of taking off the timing cover to lubricate  the unit he drilled a hole in the cover allowing easy lubrication without removing the timing cover. I have found that the unit gets enough lubrication without recourse to  removing the timing cover every 2000 miles.
I suppose that may be a possibility.

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #17 on: 29.06. 2018 01:41 »
According to the lubrication chart it is recommended to lubricate the auto advance and retard unit every 2000 miles maybe a previous owner decided that instead of taking off the timing cover to lubricate  the unit he drilled a hole in the cover allowing easy lubrication without removing the timing cover. I have found that the unit gets enough lubrication without recourse to  removing the timing cover every 2000 miles.
I suppose that may be a possibility.
I'd say he spot on *good3*

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 01.07. 2018 09:37 »

The harebrained  idea was mine, its above the dynamo chain, just to squirt chain lube now and then, not to check tension.

ok, to quote GB possibly misquoting John Swigert: 'Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here.' .... *eek*...

stev, I'm so glad you pointed that out...All the times I've used that phrase, I seriously never gave a thought to how the hair would actually grow brains  *conf2*...would be kinda tickly, and also never gave a thought that the humble Br'er Hare would be held in such esteem as to have these (or any other) hair/hare-brained ideas... .... kinda reminds me of 'Big-Bunny', The Goodies episode....how'm I doin'  *whistle*?......(that's the serious fun bit)

...but on another note,
like it was a hole ...........or some other hair-brained idea....
, is where I must've had like a dyslexic moment and it should've been "some hair-brained *other* idea".; totally different.........Sorry to cause you distress... *whistle* *beer*

So now I'll give my own Leporidae/leporid-brained idea... I did an oil change the other day, and when I pulled off the outer timing case, there was evidence of water- just a bit, and as we don't have lot of wet-stuff from the sky (although it did while I was at work the other day), maybe from the quick HP water blast I gave it immediately beforehand, but as there was also milky goo on top of the oil pump, and a film of oil in the belt-drive case, it made me wonder if BG's 'Tiny Screw', may have been intended as a condensation release...  *dunno*

As far as the lifting-eye concept goes, it would need another one in parallel, as they have a tendency to undo if hoisted with a single line....so get screwing BG.... *smile*

In fact I have a couple of eye bolts installed on mine.....

**edit- pic added

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 01.07. 2018 21:21 »

I forgot to mention that one of the first things I noted when I pulled the timing cover was a reasonable evidence of plenty of oil on the ATD, so have my doubts that extra lubing would be necessary, but not to say that an 'enthusiastic owner' wouldn't do it especially if it's parked up for extended periods... *dunno*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
« Reply #20 on: 01.07. 2018 23:28 »
 dutch .....I eye, are they  to secure her to the back of a wagon when she needs a rest, or is it tug of war material , or tie me BSA down sport type of thing *conf2*. whatever they are for they look like they are well ard. .... i'm not risking saying towing devices, oooops *fight* *bash* ps I have been to the pub  *beer* *countdown*

Offline stev60

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 03.07. 2018 21:46 »
I think I might head to the pub as well