Author Topic: Tightening the magneto sprocket fixing nut without the magneto spindle spinning?  (Read 878 times)

Offline Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
Thanks Richard,
That is enough for me to go on. I see it does not leave a lot of meat at the slot ends does it.?!!
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online orabanda

• Resident Legend
There is enough however.
You can choose to reduce the length of the slot.
I use heavy duty (or high tensile) 5/16"flat washer under the nut.
Post some pics when you finish

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Where I am I can't read other posts. I use a slice of pink pencil eraser jammed between the two posts and the cam ring. This provides stability (because of the fri ction) while moving toward the points-open position and prevents running down the slope just as points open. Also, allows the pinion bolt to be loose enough make adjustments while avoiding stress on the brass locator in the points block. Finally, once in position, tap home the pinion with a socket over the bolt, then slowly sneak up on tightening the bolt. Fingers first, then light wrenching. Now recheck timing. Good? Final wrench tight and check again.

Well, that's about how I do it, at least.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
...then slowly sneak up on tightening the bolt.
I like that! Should I be tunelessly whistling?

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Placing a screw or bolt in the earth track is a good idea, not thought of that.... BUT, I bet this is why so many earth tracks have deep grooves in them, like in photo, I've often wondered how the hell had that happened! I'd think that a brass screw or bolt would be safer than steel one. Or certainly some kind of flag or visual reminder that it is there before starting.
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
If pressing the auto advance onto the taper with your thumbs doesn’t make it stick sufficiently that you can tighten the nut without the armature turning, then the tapered faces are not in good condition.  They can be ground into each other with valve grinding paste.

Avoid straining the fibre gear teeth, by sticking a screwdriver through the auto advance yoke and pushing against the turning force of the spanner on the nut.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
...then slowly sneak up on tightening the bolt.
I like that! Should I be tunelessly whistling?

It wouldn't hurt.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.