Author Topic: Diesel powered Golden Flash!!  (Read 483 times)

Offline wortluck

• Valued Contributor
  • Just ride!
Diesel powered Golden Flash!!
« on: 30.06. 2018 17:57 »
Heading off into the sunshine for my customary ride round the Derbyshire Peaks, I decided to top up with fuel for the 150m ride I was going to do.  On the dim-ish forecourt, with my shades on, I proceeded to fill up with Shell V-Tech.............DIESEL  *eek* *eek* *eek* :o *pull hair out* ::hh::.  Fortunately, I realised my error after just under two litres, and topped up with the V-Tech GREEN (plus a bit of extra additive).  Just goes to show what rushing and dark shades can do, eh (pumps were next to each other) *whistle*.  Did wonder about the effect it might have on the running *doubt*.  Apart from a bit of blue smoke and smelling like a London bus for a while, the ol' girl never missed a beat and completed the run with ease *good3*.

Offline berger

• Resident Legend
  • keith from chesterfield 500ss cafe morris 8
Re: Diesel powered Golden Flash!!
« Reply #1 on: 30.06. 2018 22:52 »
hehe I did that last year with v-power *problem* , being excited on first run out after engine rebuild,{ which came about by idiot putting oil lines back on wrong after an oil change *eek* *bash* and setting off to cadwell park} I got about 400 yards and came to a stop, had to drain the lot and start again *red*  going over Derbyshire hills tmow to have a look round ladybower, might be riding very sensibly with her indoors on the back, so there will be no knee down on the bends and no wheelies *sarcastic*

Offline wortluck

• Valued Contributor
  • Just ride!
« Reply #2 on: 30.06. 2018 23:10 »
With every respect to yourself, at least I don't feel like the only muppet on the planet.  Can't ever remember making that mistake before.  As I pulled up to the pumps, I saw three fillers which I assumed were diesel, unleaded and V-Power leaded (sorry, I said V-Tech which is something else - more muppet points for me!!).  As I started the fill, I realised it was actually V-Power diesel and petrol and normal unleaded - just goes to show you should be more vigilant.  I remember my wife filling the car with premium unleaded once not even noticing until she saw the receipt (that was a petrol car though!)

Bad luck with the oil lines, I'd have been chucking the bl**dy thing through the nearest something if I'd done that.  I expect you weren't best pleased yourself.  Ladybower was nice today, actually went down Snake Pass twice in the end.  The road from the A57 to Holmfirth is very nice if you get that far north.  Trying to avoid taking 'er indoors with me - just ain't the same.

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 30.06. 2018 23:23 »
hi guys, (blue smoke and smelling like a London bus for a while) as far as i know London buses are now electric, perhaps someone can confirm, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline wortluck

• Valued Contributor
  • Just ride!
« Reply #4 on: 30.06. 2018 23:44 »
Nice, kiwipom, that'll be an old Routemaster I'd be referring to. *yeah* *razz*

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 01.07. 2018 00:43 »
Did that myself a few years ago, again at a V-Power garage! Put about 3/4 of a tank in.

Ran perfectly for a mile or so, but as the petrol in the float bowl got used up it started 'pinking' like mad and smoking. Drained the tank, and after filling all was well after another mile or so.

Dumb thing to do, and the symptoms of doing it look and sound very expensive.

I always use that brand when I have the choice, and I've had the diesel pump in a couple of times since, luckily the double check I do now has saved my blushes. Never done it at any other garage..........Weird, their layout seems the same as everybody elses?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 01.07. 2018 08:42 »
Diesal in a petrol engine is a nuisance. Petrol in a Diesal engine is a disaster! I believe they have something like 20 to 1 compression ratio.

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 01.07. 2018 15:24 »

My young fella put unleaded in his bosses work van on a couple of occasions.... and once in his..lucky was close by so I helped him drain it but out of range the other times...(I think a bit closer to their shed)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #8 on: 01.07. 2018 15:50 »
Diesal in a petrol engine is a nuisance. Petrol in a Diesal engine is a disaster! I believe they have something like 20 to 1 compression ratio.
By the end of the seventies diesel went to about 2/3th of the price of petrol over here so everyone turned to diesel cars.
In 1983 however we had a harsh winter with freezing temperatures of around -15C to -20C. Diesel hadn't been adapted yet to these low temperatures in combination with small diameter fuel lines so everyone broke down on frozen diesel... Advice was given to add 10% of petrol to stop the diesel from freezing which did work with no damage to the engine. Mind you, most diesels in those days where still atmospheric.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 01.07. 2018 16:12 »
yep I once filled our MG with unleaded, went reasonable even tho the penny didn't drop when it took a while to start, ran ok upto about 50 but would not respond after that, realised what I'd done before I got home but as it was running I got home drained the tank leaving enough to get to the nearest garage and filled up - got away with it.
Not so lucky with sucking up H2O tho, done two engines that way, to this day can't understand why they put air intake so near the ground on Diesels
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline wortluck

• Valued Contributor
  • Just ride!
« Reply #10 on: 01.07. 2018 22:51 »
Sorry bsa-bill, didn't get your post.  Don't MGs take unleaded?  Air intake on diesels close to the ground?

The V-Power pumps can be confusing as the layout is different in many petrol stations.  Today, I filled our diesel estate at a place in Stafford when visiting there.  It had premium and normal unleaded and the same for diesel in a row of four - easy.  In some places one pump only has premium and diesel.  In my case it had V-Power diesel and petrol and normal unleaded - no ordinary diesel!?!  As GB says, diesel in petrol is only a pain if it's not too much.  The old girl did pink a bit on inclines, under load and with a headwind but it does that anyway (depends on the incline, sometime she's quite happy?!?

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 02.07. 2018 09:20 »

....Apart from a bit of blue smoke and smelling like a London bus for a while,...
I can't remember if I  said I  the ' Coffee Shop ' thread that I  read a story/ saw clip not long ago about a guy running a London bus on pressed spent coffee grounds.... nothing unusual though
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 02.07. 2018 10:21 »
Don't MGs take unleaded?

Hi wortluck - no this was a BMW, Rover, MG, based on the rover 200/100 whatever,
 had a BMW engine, went like stink and handled a dream, I was saddened that they wrote it off.
Yes I choose to fill it at probably the only garage in the area that had ALL fuel pipes black , still my fault I guess
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 02.07. 2018 10:38 »
Wow!!!  Not what I expected when I clicked on it.  When I was in Turkey during military service we spotted a vintage American Mustang near the port of Mersin along the coast.  It had a thick layer of black smoke coming out its pipes.  I had my 1963 Nova SS with v8SBC and we had trouble catching them.  We finally caught up and got them to pull over.  My turkish is not that good and their english was worse.. But It was an former American GI car (look up Beyaname) and got transferred to the Turks somehow (Look up Baksheesh)  The motor was Bitmish (Garbage-junk) so they stuck in a Diesel from a lorry.  It went rather well all things considered and paint and interior was top notch.  (Stock upholstery recreated in leather)  As paint and body work deals were super affordable over there.
I didnt have a camera, wish I had, but that was a fun encounter.  The Turks could never understand what MY Car was,,, it was a Body style they were not familiar with, but there was a LOT of early 60s Impalas over there I saw frequently.

As to Diesel fuel,,,,,,, Here in the US, most places are self serve so these things happen,, but in Oregon and a few other states NO SELF service.  So a common scam out there is people will need their diesel engine overhauled and some shops tell people how to pull a scam.  Drive up to the Diesel pumps (Clearly marked) and casually ask for a fill up while going inside for a Soda or coffee. Get your receipt and drive away,  Then get a lawyer and SUE in court the gas station.   Its well known now and Stations know how to defend against it and part of employee training, but it still happens.   For a long time Diesel was cheaper than gas but not anymore,, its now more expensive.
But, here in Oregon there is a lot of people using Biofuels and brewing up all kinds of fuels.  A local business was telling me a nearby city enacted the business license if you have a grease fryer that the permit/license went up from $200 every 2 years to $12,500 and reason is Grease in the wastewater clogs up the sewage treatment plant.  The problem is no one pours out grease anymore as its in high demand as base stock for Bio fuels...  People BUY used fry oils and grease.  Not unusual to be behind some hippy in a Conversion and smell chips and frys.  Many of these convesions can switch between regular gasoline to Biofuel and many start the engine on the Biofuel and swith over once running. Many places doing the conversions,  But the sources for cheap bio fuels also went away with more people using it.

Here is one of the locals doing conversions...See:

https://greendropgarage.com/veggie/
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 02.07. 2018 16:57 »
Don't MGs take unleaded?

Hi wortluck - no this was a BMW, Rover, MG, based on the rover 200/100 whatever,
 had a BMW engine, went like stink and handled a dream, I was saddened that they wrote it off.
Yes I choose to fill it at probably the only garage in the area that had ALL fuel pipes black , still my fault I guess

I'm still not sure if the engine is a diesel!