Author Topic: A10 won't start :(  (Read 1688 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 won't start :(
« Reply #15 on: 04.07. 2018 20:19 »
Some progress then    *smile*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #16 on: 04.07. 2018 21:17 »
G'day owain.
Sounds like the pilot circuit is blocked or too small jet. Is the pilot jet screwed into the body above the float chamber or pressed in opposite the air screw? Early concentrics had the screw in but later had a non adjustable jet pressed in.  Hesitation at cruise could be needle jet and needle or slide (they wear).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline owain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 04.07. 2018 22:31 »
Cheers everyone, the bike is back in the garage for this evening. I quickly removed the spark plugs though and they are already black and they were brand new. They were not wet or oily, just coated in black soot. So a problem with the carbs jets/ needle position seems like a logical place to look.

Oh and the concentric is the old type of concentric with a screw in pilot jet.

It seems a little odd though that the bike has been running fine with this carburettor and jets for the last few months and all of a sudden it's running so rich that spark plugs foul within a few minutes?   

The other suspicion I have is that the valve sleeves are allowing oil to get past the valves and into the combustion chamber. Perhaps the oil leak from the rocker box could be an indicator of a cylinder head issue?

The carb is definitely the cheapest and quickest area to investigate first. Failing that, it's a little annoying if the valve sleeves do need replacing as a machinist checked out the cylinder last summer and told me everything was in good order  *roll*
West Sweden & North Wales
'50 BSA A10
'69 BSA A75R
'53 BSA B33

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 04.07. 2018 22:42 »
Ah well I may have spoken too soon actually. It seemed to run ok yesterday. It wasn't sounding very good today though. When I accelerate it sounds good. When I'm cruising it sounds like it's 'hiccuping'/ running a bit poorly. I thought that maybe this could be due to the timing being slightly off. If I didn't give it any throttle. It dies on idle. I had to twist the idle screw in the carb really far in to keep it alive at a fast idle.

I'm thinking of taking the carb apart checking all the jets e.g. blowing them out with compressed air. Then giving it a go again. If it is still running a bit off when cruising then I'll reset the timing again to see if that improves the situation  *???*

In my experience compressed air is not always enough to clear the idle circuit on the concentric, to clean the idle circuit properly you need to get an understanding on “how” the air and petrol gets to the adjuster screw, and thereafter to into the manifold. I’ll have another look for that diagram of the idle circuit.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #19 on: 05.07. 2018 09:53 »
Yes I had one that was so blocked I had to remove the brass welsh plug to clean it out. Check the passage in the bowl that feeds the pilot jet, often overlooked.
Black sooty plugs is the other way so the air passage may be blocked. I had an XT that was giving similar problems. Found the aftermarket filter was blocking that passage.
The needle and needle jets wear, especially noticeable at cruising throttle opening and can upset pilot settings.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #20 on: 05.07. 2018 11:16 »
The other suspicion I have is that the valve sleeves are allowing oil to get past the valves and into the combustion chamber. Perhaps the oil leak from the rocker box could be an indicator of a cylinder head issue?

Oil in the combustion chamber will leave a trail of blue smoke behind you but won't make your engine run rough.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #21 on: 05.07. 2018 21:00 »
One exception to that ^^^ morris. If the inlet guide is bad enough and on small throttle openings crankcase fumes/air can be drawn in upsetting the mixture.
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 15.09. 2018 06:33 »
Just too add...
I had an almost identical experience yesterday on my 53A10, coughing, spluttering, running on one cylinder under load, black plugs etc. There was a little bit of oil in the left hand pot, no real smoke though, but  I assumed it an exhaust valve not bedding correctly or a valve seat.
I pulled the head off and it all looks pretty fine. Valves sealing perfectly..no sooting on the rocker side..
If only I'd read this yesterday.... thank you for sharing all this. It has an impact around the world and keeps bikes running,
Guy