Author Topic: Hi All.... I'm still about!  (Read 493 times)

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
Hi All.... I'm still about!
« on: 05.07. 2018 18:42 »
 *smile* Well, I suppose I'd better show a face!... How are ya all? I see many names are still posting, I've also had a few emails and texts from others as well...much appreciated!

Not been on forum for such a long time but I still have my bikes so that must be some relief to you, although I did sell my A7 plunger two or three years ago and bitterly regret that. Do not sell your bike unless you really... REALLY need to! you will regret it. I'll tell you what happened...

Basically, I just had run out of space and was not using the bike, so onto ebay it went. Some of you might even remember the ridiculously high price I put it on for, but I got my price  *smile* The thing that hurt most was that it was in excellent running condition and looked really smart, (See picture) the guy that bought the bike literally butchered the bike, he only wanted the 1940 M20 girder forks that were on it. I sold the bike with the original front end as I had no further need for it. The next I knew only a few short weeks later another guy in Austria had emailed me for the single carb manifold as the bike had twin carbs, not that it made the bike go any faster, but did look smart and was a talking point. The set up worked very well and gave no problems. This guy had bought it from Andy Tierman in Suffolk UK and probably a lot less than I sold it for. The photos on Andys website showed the missing girders. (I feel pain just writing this!)

My other BSA's... Yep! still got them AND ride them! The flavour this year has been my 1953 B33 plunger. Only last December passed I went down to the shed and it was lying on it's side, horrible to see a bike like this. Side stand had gone through damp chipboard floor. So, this was an inspiration to get it sorted and back on road. problems were mainly magneto related.... and with other bikes... magneto's seem to suffer if you don't use them. My M21...similar problem, windings are okay but capacitor is poor, I had put one in myself which has not been successful. I've recently used the Brightspark easy cap and have had success with them. In time I'll put one in the M21.

My two 1961 A10's. One, my first bike, the red A10 with fairing, leg shields, panniers, full enclosed chaincase, and front & rear crash bars...(does it actually move?)... not touched for a long while. The other...blue A10 I have used quite a bit and this has kept my BSA joy alive! Annoyingly though, I've started a job that I wished I had not. I've attempted to move gearbox forward just to line up the inspection hole for adjusting the clutch sprung nuts. The hole was too far right, after removing a link on primary chain the hole is now too far left, so I now have to wait a couple of days for a half link to arrive... annoyingly the clutch was fantastic, nice and smooth and light but was loosening up after a long fast-ish ride, all I should have done was improve the notches on the cups and nuts to prevent them coming undone, done this now however. Wanted to take bike out tonight to the Boston UK bike night... so will stay in and write this up.

Must login more often as I love my BSA's specially my A10s.  *wave*
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Hi All.... I'm still about!
« Reply #1 on: 05.07. 2018 19:07 »
LJ,

Thank, so much, for a great update. I know many here are quite pleased to hear from you (verifying your existence, for example) and get the scoop on your bkes. Sad story, that plunger.

Richard L

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 05.07. 2018 21:11 »
wow, that's nice to read, thanks for giving signs of (good) life. The forum has grown quite a bit since your pause and all is well here. Welcome to post again :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 05.07. 2018 21:24 »
G'day LJ.
Great to hear from you again and you still enjoy the BSA's.
Just drop in and say G'day now and then.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7