Author Topic: A period with some server timeouts etc, seems all fixed now.  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
As title says.

And remember https://twitter.com/a7a10forum for any news if forum should be offline.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I had trouble getting on here, this morning.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
All the hosting services servers were struggling, potentially afflicting a million customers or so. But very happy with nearly nonexistant trouble, and excellent information and response time if anything should happen. Hey, even seen my bank(s) and some government sites etc having downtime \ maintenance. Am extremely happy with the current host (btw, it's www.one.com if anybody looks for website space).
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Yes I had trouble yesterday. Pages would time out or if eventually loaded were just blank. If I ever have trouble it's nearly always this site but not too often.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
^^^  hmmm, this incident was this morning, and logs showed a 'hole' of approx 1 h, access to site (ip's browsing) normal before and after. But access from some countries may have been more affected or for longer than others.

btw, connections timing out or slow, one thing to try is to use another DNS than what is provided by one's ISP.
Am using Cloudflare DNS, very good and fast. Take a look > https://1.1.1.1/

Another good one is 9.9.9.9 which provides added security (or 9.9.9.10 with no security filtering) > https://www.quad9.net/

btw 2, for internet am only using my French mobile plan from here in Norway (phone's wifi hotspot to pc) and thus any click in my browser goes 1st by Norwegian mobile network (4G) which then sends it to Sweden, then to Germany, then to 'my' ISP in France, from there continues to wherever I wanted to go, and the returned pages are going up the same path in reverse. Still it's fast and feels like a good fixed line, amazing how things have evolved the last few years. About the forum, loads quite instantly.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
G'day e.
All good now.
Being on fixed wireless (aerial on roof pointed at mobile phone tower 2Km away) I notice the time of day makes a difference. Kids on their phones after school. I can download a movie at 5Mps but loading some pages (XT500 Forum (also run by a Viking)) takes a while. I'll have a look at your suggestions.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
OK just loaded the 1.1.1.1. Maybe just a smidgen quicker. Will try the other forum now.
Cheers
Yes a little quicker there too.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
I notice the time of day makes a difference
Ahh, so you're on varying mobile broadband. The same when I am at my place in France, no fibre or adsl lines, only an old  saturated 3G, only 1 out of 4 national networks available (tested sim cards from all of them). And looks like the moon will get 4G or fibre before my valley. And if I move the phone (antenna) 0.5 m into the house, everything drops. Have it glued to the window in direction of the mast. A proper mobile modem with connections for antennas to put outside is on the buy list.

Speed varies from 0,25 to 10 Mb according to time of day. So am gnawing at anything that may help, antenna placement, DNS, loading websites with images disabled etc. Satellite is an option if better speed was crucial, but slow speed is ok as long as it works in the end. And anything important or large downloads can take phone + pc in the car and drive a little to find a fast 4G.

A tip, for music in youtube, set resolution to 144p, saves -lots- of mobile quota + works on very slow connections, sound not affected.

And a simple speedtest > www.fast.com

Have a fine day :O)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
fast broadband is nice but in Rural areas there can be a downside - no competition - BT or (open reach) put in the poles and fibre, but then BT have a monopoly on the available fibre out of the cabinet, no other provider can access them so BT cost double what others charge unless YOUR A NEW CUSTOMER yes I'm shouting becuase it is me and existing customer who subsidise the new customers  *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
fast broadband is nice but in Rural areas there can be a downside - no competition - BT or (open reach) put in the poles and fibre, but then BT have a monopoly on the available fibre out of the cabinet, no other provider can access them so BT cost double what others charge unless YOUR A NEW CUSTOMER yes I'm shouting becuase it is me and existing customer who subsidise the new customers  *pull hair out* *pull hair out* *pull hair out*

What about this angle? BT/Post Office/GPO/National Telephone Company have put the investment into the national network for something like 120 years. No other company want to spend millions installing telephone plant in areas where the income from the lines is going to be less than the cost of maintaining them. The government told BT that they must share their plant because there is no chance of Fred Bloggs TelCo spending millions of pounds to get a line to sparsely populated areas.
Also, BT has a service obligation to provide telephone service; no other private company would tolerate that.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
What about this angle? BT/Post Office/GPO/National Telephone Company have put the investment into the national network for something like 120 years. No other company want to spend millions installing telephone plant in areas where the income from the lines

And got a very handsome grant from the government for doing so, indeed it was big enough that they handed some of it back
and "BT/Post Office/GPO/National Telephone Company", where have you been for the last forty year GB, they've been split off, sold off and whatever that now I doubt if there's much of any of the original left.
The fibre lines are installed by Open Reach, then BT come along and do the connection (fibre to premises in our case), BT is also Plusnet who would provide our broadband and phone for less than half BT what charge, if they were allowed to.
Isn't the mantra these days competition, competition, competition, not mine BTW, I old fashioned enough to think service as important rail, comms, energy and so forth should be run for the benefit of the nation, not some mega billionaire from foreign parts
There rant over  *smile*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco