Author Topic: 1959 Super Rocket with a Triumph clutch  (Read 1574 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: 1959 Super Rocket with a Triumph clutch
« Reply #15 on: 13.07. 2018 23:03 »
 I really believe it is this exact argument that has kept the imagined value of the British motorcycles down.

Without getting too wordy, there are enough owners of British bikes that will completely sacrifice quality in the pursuit of cheap.

This is reflected back on the imagined value, because these bikes have a perceived reputation (deserved or not) of being cobbled together by cheap skate owners.

A couple of years ago I am at a small bike show. A guy with a  mid 70s Triumph is bragging about how he only replaces one piston ring on each piston.

Next time he replaces one ring and the oil controll ring, this saves him money.

I think the other bike owners were pretty shocked by this,  the majority of the bikes here are certainly Harleys. These people pride themselves on sparing no cost on keeping their bikes running and looking good.

Off topic I know, but relevant to the conversation I think. There are good quality parts available for these bikes, we just have to decide if we are going to pay for them, or except whatever we get from the generic parts sellers.

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 14.07. 2018 00:32 »

..... or except whatever we get from the generic parts sellers.

Do you really mean 'except' or 'accept' as I think you do...?  *conf2*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 14.07. 2018 01:15 »

In school, I did very well in math and science.

Sentence structure and spelling did not interest me in the least, so as you would expect I did very poorly in those classes.

I am an electrician by trade, and outside of this forum I do very little actual writing.

So to be completely honest, I don't know which of the examples are correct. *sad2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 14.07. 2018 08:30 »
 Lee- I didn't pass English in upper grsdes, I think mainly due to the analytical side of it (eg: give a precis of this poem or that book or play-script)...I don't mind that shit, but if one doesn't say what 'they' wan to hear, I'm fuarked....but I did garner points in a 2nd grade spelling quest... *eek*
 For the record from a non-linguist, 'accept' is when you agree to something. 'Except' is when something is a bit different to the other...in very basic terms

I'm NOT being a smartarse(ass) just trying to help make things clear

** I've said it before, and I'll be very clear that they didn't like me at school either *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 14.07. 2018 09:13 »

In school, I did very well in math and science.

Sentence structure and spelling did not interest me in the least, so as you would expect I did very poorly in those classes.

I am an electrician by trade, and outside of this forum I do very little actual writing.

So to be completely honest, I don't know which of the examples are correct. *sad2*

Lee
Drifting completely off topic here but in my experience people who are good in maths are often lousy in languages and those who are good in languages are often bad in maths... must be a brain thing I guess *dunno*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 14.07. 2018 09:44 »

..Drifting completely off topic here but in my experience people who are good in maths are often lousy in languages and those who are good in languages are often bad in maths... must be a brain thing I guess *dunno*

ohyeah... except when mayb esomeone is dyslaxicly chillaxed... *conf*

...The Feked ones I have ordered look the same gauge as mine but are one coil shorter (9 rather than 10) making them 45mm long rather than 50mm. I will see what they look like when they arrive tomorrow.

The fact they are shorter with same windings/diameter/wire gauge doesn't make them lighter, it just means the adjusters screw in further before they engage- and then the load factor stays the same

Australia

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #21 on: 14.07. 2018 10:03 »
I really believe it is this exact argument that has kept the imagined value of the British motorcycles down.

Without getting too wordy, there are enough owners of British bikes that will completely sacrifice quality in the pursuit of cheap.

This is reflected back on the imagined value, because these bikes have a perceived reputation (deserved or not) of being cobbled together by cheap skate owners.

A couple of years ago I am at a small bike show. A guy with a  mid 70s Triumph is bragging about how he only replaces one piston ring on each piston.

Next time he replaces one ring and the oil controll ring, this saves him money.

I think the other bike owners were pretty shocked by this,  the majority of the bikes here are certainly Harleys. These people pride themselves on sparing no cost on keeping their bikes running and looking good.

Off topic I know, but relevant to the conversation I think. There are good quality parts available for these bikes, we just have to decide if we are going to pay for them, or except whatever we get from the generic parts sellers.

Lee

The difference in attitudes had puzzled me for years till I started meeting £ 10 poms and realized that many residents of the cold wet & windy island did not particularly want to be motorcyclist but had it forced upon them because of the low wages & high costs of private transport. Where as in the USA & Australia we were mostly motorcyclist by choice.
So it was not desperately urgent that the bike was running 365 days a year and as cheaply as possible.
However being a colony, true to the Mother Country we eventually imported the UK cheapskate approach to British motorcycles, which I largely put down to the predominance of the blue & the green.
This to a large extent explains why the same person will happily spend $ 10,000 on his Ducatti that rarely see the tarmac but baulk at a $ 10 part for his British steed ( Brough & Vincent owners excepted ) that he rides every weekend.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 14.07. 2018 11:07 »
 a lot of truth in all the above, however there are parts that we do just have to use due to there being no others available (possibly also due to the reason given above).
On the language side of things I was continually getting punished at primary school ( 3 foot length of bamboo cane, the delivery end wrapped with string and selotape, 3 stroke on each hand) for spelling mistakes, at secondary school I was never in trouble at all in fact they made me a prefect (not perfect), thing is I still find spelling a bit of a mystery at times due I think to the vagaries of English and a hatred of Bamboo
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #23 on: 14.07. 2018 13:58 »
Well the Feked springs arrived today - 45mm long which is 5mm (one coil) shorter than the 10 coil ones I have but the coil wire is thicker so my logic is that I will have to screw the adjusters in further and the clutch action will be heavier due to the heavier spring wire.
I am losing the will to live on the spring issue so I will fit the 10 coil springs I have back in.
The engine sprocket centre sleeve had 1/8" trimmed off the back face this morning and the sprockets now line up nicely so it's off to the garage to put it all together.

Thanks for all the advice - I may be back tomorrow with more questions  ;)

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 14.07. 2018 17:31 »

For what it's worth, if the springs were the same length with one less winding, they would also be heavier....I bought new springs for my Plunger 6-springer, and they sent me springs wound the wrong way, so haven't used them either.

......the delivery end wrapped with string and selotape,......

don't want to stray off topic;...not picking on you Bill, but if you mean 'Cellotape' is because it's made from cellulose from plants, same as some 'new products like 'Tencel/lyacell ' & bamboo socks.....
Australia

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 14.07. 2018 17:49 »

......the delivery end wrapped with string and selotape,......

don't want to stray off topic;...not picking on you Bill, but if you mean 'Cellotape' is because it's made from cellulose from plants, same as some 'new products like 'Tencel/lyacell ' & bamboo socks.....

I’m afraid you’re both wrong, in a serious way.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 14.07. 2018 18:03 »

I’m afraid you’re both wrong, in a serious way.

Ok- I'll stand corrected  *smile*....I guess I was thinking 'Cellophane' and it was an extension of that;

From Wikipedia;
.....The name Sellotape was derived from cellophane, at that time a trademarked name, with the "C" changed to "S" so that the new name could be trademarked.[1].......

I always just called it 'sticky tape' anyway
Australia

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #27 on: 14.07. 2018 19:19 »
The springs from Feked were too heavy so I refitted the existing ones and had a helluva job getting the plate to lift squarely. I took the springs out again and closer examination revealed that two were 50mm and two were 48mm so I refitted them in opposite pairs and the plates lift pretty square.
It may have been that they were originally fitted as adjacent pairs causing uneven lift and contributing to my clutch drag problem.
I will put the chaincase on tomorrow and give it a try on the road.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #28 on: 17.07. 2018 14:28 »
Sellotape is n fact ( or was when I had anything to do with it ) made from Cellophane.
Cellophane is , or again was a registered trade name of Cello Products.
Thus you could call it Selotape without infringments on some one elses trade name.
I used to run the "cello store" at Super Transport where the rolls of Cellophane were stored prior to going either to be printed or get coated with glue to become sticky tape, but not Sello tape which was a trade name.
Another trade name down here for sticky tape  was Durex tape, something which got a lot of young Aussie girls into trouble when they went to work in London and asket to borrow some ones Durex.
We did not see Durex condoms down here till well into the 90's
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 17.07. 2018 15:15 »

Apologies to B-Bill too for doubting, but at least between us we wee half right... :D and thanks Trev for the backup....I'm glad I stuck my neck out and made a prick of myself, as I never would have learned anything....

To be honest I can't recall ever having seen 'Sellotape' written, only spoken...that's a very big picture TT- one I won't forget in a hurry... *smile*...almost resembles a Triumph clutch...(attempt at back to topic)

Australia