Author Topic: Thank you local council !  (Read 404 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Thank you local council !
« on: 12.07. 2018 16:57 »
My closest and favorite part of my rides out is just off the A565 Formby bypass heading for Hightown pull a left at the jct and then head for Little Crosby about 3 miles of glorious twisties .The middle part was resurfaced about 3 yrs ago and hasn't been messed with at .Suddenly last  Monday the local council closed off the first part ,the surface was shot , and have just finished today , as I ran in to work ,absolutely lovely finish ,I can't wait to get out and try it ,roll on Saturday ,thank you sefton mbc !!  *clap* *clap* I'll just hope they don't decide to  install sleeping policemen !
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Thank you local council !
« Reply #1 on: 12.07. 2018 17:23 »
Oh, I thought your 'Thank you' might have been ironic due to some bearaucratic nonsense once again. I'm glad it's good news!

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • The A7
« Reply #2 on: 12.07. 2018 17:59 »
You are lucky, some of our nicest roads with good visibility and twisty bits become almost unrideable during the summer as our council insist upon loose chipping them, as a surface dressing and they leave a lot of chippings thus making the surface very slippy
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger (becoming a project)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.07. 2018 21:06 »
Down here the buggars are taking away all my fav twisty bits. Just because the tin top drivers can't put their mobile phone down and run off the road  *ex* Some bits are made wider and smoother and faster then there's a cop behind every tree (been chased a few times, funny they stop at 200kph).  *rant*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Black Sheep

• Resident Legend
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #4 on: 13.07. 2018 06:25 »
Strangely, I 'm a fan of tar and chippings on our rural roads. Once the chippings have been cleared, it leaves a splendidly grippy road surface, even in icy conditions. On the major roads, the new surfaces are very smooth and designed to reduce tyre noise. They can be lethally slippery when wet.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 13.07. 2018 09:19 »

Don't get me started on roads... *rant*....around here 'they' have a habit of resurfacing or generally 'fixing' a stretch, then come along a few weeks or months later and add some depressed access cover or just generally dig it up either for practice or to bury someone and run short of filler and bugger off to leave 'speed-holes'...I kid you not...eg; about two months ago ( early May), I was on a street that I use a lot, that has a new development happening that required upgrading of services, so the road was crap for a year or so anyway, but I rode over a depressed cover' that I didn't really see (they depressed it well) and the suss-pension bottomed out and my kidneys told me we'd have a chat later- so I called the council and told 'em and the buck was passed to the 'Urban Utilities' mob who went and looked at it and painted a white ring around it, nothing else has changed. Crazy enough, I think that depressed cover has a twin 50 metres away , which makes me wonder which one I hit

*rant* *rant*     ....yes I did have a chat with the kidneys later but that's too long to tell
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.07. 2018 09:14 »

My closest and favorite part of my rides out is .......... and have just finished today , as I ran in to work ,absolutely lovely finish ,I can't wait to get out and try it ,roll on Saturday ,thank you sefton mbc !!  *clap* ...........

So, Bob I realised I saddled up the high-horse/soapbox prematurely and forgot to wish you a Happy and trouble free ride-out which may be in progress as I punch keys......so Happythat

......*clap* I'll just hope they don't decide to  install sleeping policemen ! .......
  Is that those skytowers they put in the road ?- haven't seen them in years here....

With regard to my earlier rant, the upside of installing designer depressions in a new road, is that I have an excuse for adding my own twisties into an otherwise straight road  *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #7 on: 21.07. 2018 13:27 »
Dutch,
In my area, the local town of Dungog still has "Silent Cops". For the uninitiated, these are a lump of round steel, about 150mm high x 450mm diameter located in the centre of an intersection to force drivers not to cut corners unless you are happy to wreck the tyres and wheel alignment. Dungog featured on international news in April 2016 when extremely heavy rain backed up, drowned 3 people in a Retirement Complex and carried a house away across the main road. It was spectacular television.
Col
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.07. 2018 17:38 »
These and full-width versions are ubiquitous in the UK.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 21.07. 2018 20:56 »
G'day Col, I'd like to thank the "silent cop" at Dungog. We had a club weekend run to Dungog. By the time we got to East Gresford it was dark. Passed a cop (chatting to a f/m ambo) he must have noticed the third bike in the group (Denny on a Big Valve Super Rocket) had no lights. I was tail end charlie on the plunger and all of a sudden there were blue & reds flashing behind me. He passed me and 10 others and pulled in behind Denny. Off with the blue & reds and on with a thousand watts of high beam so Denny could see. About 25Km at Dungog he just pulled off and gave us a hoot on the siren.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR, '76 XT500, '77 AG175 '83 CB1100F, '81 CB900F project.
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 21.07. 2018 22:16 »

..... Off with the blue & reds and on with a thousand watts of high beam so Denny could see. .....

That's pretty good of him, but riding in your own shadow can be hard too...can't see the black holes  *eek*

.......Dungog featured on international news in April 2016 when extremely heavy rain backed up, drowned 3 people in a Retirement Complex and carried a house away across the main road. It was spectacular television...

...and the silent cop slept through it all ?  *smile*
Australia

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 23.07. 2018 09:34 »

They're becoming even more increasingly prevalent in France too.
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 23.07. 2018 13:02 »
They're becoming even more increasingly prevalent in France too.
Because road users cannot be trusted to stick to speed limits and police numbers are being reduced.

I frequently see bits of broken spring laying in the road. The motor shops must just love speed bumps.

Offline Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 23.07. 2018 14:11 »
Yes Muskrat,
   I was born at Gresford. The Bingleburra Mountain between Gresford and Dungog is a blast eh.? You can leave the ground over some of the hills.
   That cop was a rare one.!! Must have been into old bikes.
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 23.07. 2018 22:54 »
I nearly came to grief a few years ago after a run over Bingleburra on my RGS.
At the bottom of the hill on the Dungog side I hit a great depression in the road which was not visible until until I was almost in it.
The impact threw me up off the seat and I landed heavily on the footrests which pushed the right one down on the worn spline and jammed the rear brake pedal down which put me into a skid.
I was doing about 80 KMH at the time and ended up sliding sideways down the road, still upright.
I managed to keep the bike up and came to a stop with slightly soiled underwear, on the wrong side of the road.
Looking back I saw a Police car and an ambulance stopped. The Cop asked if I was OK, and said that he thought that they would have been calling for the helicopter when I started sliding.
I had no idea that they were behind me at the time but the ambulance could have been handy.
Kicked the footrest back in place and rode away but the rear tyre had a nice bald spot on it.