Author Topic: "Scavenge cover"  (Read 746 times)

Offline OldSwede

• Active
    • My primitive website
"Scavenge cover"
« on: 15.07. 2018 11:38 »
It´s always leaking around my sump plate, 67-1285.

I have a finned one with drain plug, a filter in the form of a framed net and two gaskets. I don´t want to use silicon because it could come loose and get into the oil system.

How about extra thick gaskets , maybe with gasket glue on one side?

I have sealed the studs because someone said they went thru.

I´m grateful for any suggestion.

Lars

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: "Scavenge cover"
« Reply #1 on: 15.07. 2018 11:54 »
had this one Lars, I used silicon sparingly, just a smear on both sides of each gaskets, by a smear I mean  a very thin coating applied with finger tip, when completed it should be difficult to see the silicon, but it will have sealed the gaskets.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 15.07. 2018 12:08 »
With the srm finned, I used to cut my own gaskets in a quite thick material, no leaks, without need for overtightening. Assuming all mating\contact surfaces are in good shape.

Although am not a fan of sealants, bsa-bill's solution is an option, a good sealant used carefully and applied sparingly with patience would never be able to end up where it should not be.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline OldSwede

• Active
    • My primitive website
« Reply #3 on: 22.07. 2018 12:41 »
Thank you both.

I´m going to buy some thick gasket material, make gaskets and put on a thin layer of silicon. Hopefully this combination will end the leaks.

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 22.07. 2018 14:30 »
it shouldnt leak too badly from the sump face unless there is a crack or the studs have broken through the ally into the sump where the oil will run down the sump studs. not an easy fix.
another problem i once had was the camshaft feed oil gallery wasnt plugged and the oil ran down the c/case face and emerged at the sump. that was another strip down where i found i missed the obvious.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.07. 2018 14:38 »
I always use Blue Hylomar.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 22.07. 2018 21:21 »
Must be the Scottish side of me. I like to make my own gaskets from 0.8mm oil jointing and reuse them by using Permatex #3 https://tinyurl.com/y7zmy4rw I can reuse the same gasket 3 or 4 times. The old glue wipes off with carb clean then a new coating goes on.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.07. 2018 22:31 »

Must be the Scottish side of me. I like to make my own gaskets from 0.8mm oil jointing and reuse them by using Permatex #3 https://tinyurl.com/y7zmy4rw I can reuse the same gasket 3 or 4 times. The old glue wipes off with carb clean then a new coating goes on.

Much the same here- if that's the browny-black goopy stuff, I have a small 30 y.o bottle, but started using ThreeBond, but the last tube of that went off in a few months, so am giving Loctite 596 (red stuff), seems good so far....maybe my paper isn't that thick, but I've used the same gasket on the *standard* sump plate at least ten times, and chaincasde about same- give it a wipe and usually just put it on, but last time used the red stuff which seems to have held a leak at bay so far.......And it's stopped the 20 year leaky main-bearing flange on the Gutzzli too...  *woo*  (I've been using silicone grease on the surface that doesn't come off-generally helps, except last time the timing cover stuck hard- took an hour to scrape the old gasket off, but only because it tore)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia