Author Topic: wanted: 376 carb  (Read 797 times)

Offline Rawli-joan

• New
wanted: 376 carb
« on: 16.07. 2018 21:42 »
 Hi anyone have a 376/015
bsa A7 1956 monoblok carbouretta

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: wanted: 376 carb
« Reply #1 on: 17.07. 2018 14:57 »
No. You?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.07. 2018 15:06 »

I'm sure there's one floating around the galaxy somewhere... *conf2*....you'll have better results if you go to the Introduction page and give a blurb
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 17.07. 2018 20:08 »
errr I've got a 376/2 and a 376/239 but don't know what  the difference is *dunno2*, can any of you people explain what it is?

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.07. 2018 20:30 »
can any of you people explain what it is?

not certain but think the first number is the model number, the second number is the jetting and other settings for a particular motorcycle
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 17.07. 2018 20:43 »
i have not been to the pub, cheers bill errrr yeah 376 I get but can anyone explain in detail the 015 as first mentioned and my 2 and 239? confused dot com *conf2*

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.07. 2018 21:07 »
AS I said the second number depicts what machine the Carb was used on and the settings, see picture

and try here http://porklips.org/~mason/moto/amal_specs.html
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.07. 2018 22:09 »
oooo that's good bill *yeah* my blond moment has now gone away cheers, how exciting!!! I've got a carb for a 350 beezer but no 350 beezer, the other carb is for a late shooting star engine like mine but mines got a mikuni. so I get it now,  *thanks*

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 18.07. 2018 01:13 »
MAYBE.........I detest Concentrics, (pot metal rubbish built to a price) But being as many of my inventory and projects are pre-concentric I have bought and collected piles of the things.

** Funny BSA Tangent, might or might not have recounted before,  Was at a US ABATE swap meet and bike show which tends to be Harley centric.  Saw a local with a whole pickup bed full of Monobloc bodies and other Brit bike parts.  Following the advice of Bob Raber (Always buy in bulk) I asked for the whole pile package deal. I noticed a small caliber rifle as well- Most swap meets dont allow weapons but this one did
 (Yea USA!) and it was a .22 cal BSA Rifle which, Although I already HAVE a nice .22 in my arsenal, A BSA would be cool.. I asked and seller said some arbitrary number like 2.  I thought......How strange! Only $ 2 dollars??  So I handed him more than he was asking and told him to keep the change.  He said ,,,,,NO! Two HUNDRED........  Jeez.......

So, I might have one, I am in parts sorting and organizing mode.  So the following applies before I return to the heat wave (92 deg F today, my storage areas are even warmer!) 
A) Will any similar 276 do?
B) Do you need an entire carb?  Or just the body
C) Are you willing to pay shipping to your location from US?? (USPS international flat rate is not bad but gets VERY EXPENSIVE for larger items)
D) Serious or tire kicker checking the market place?

I have some carb stuff sorted but I am not interested in spending a lot of time for a maybe,,   If I do, I am not sure what a fair price is, if this progresses maybe the list collective will say.  I could use the $$$ but my time has value.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 18.07. 2018 03:47 »
Hi anyone have a 376/015
you can buy them new: http://amalcarb.co.uk/
i got one recently for my b33 which now starts first kick (or 2nd, or 3rd)
what Bill says about jetting - you can say whatever jets you want on a new one - straightforward
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 18.07. 2018 06:11 »
Hi anyone have a 376/015
you can buy them new: http://amalcarb.co.uk/
i got one recently for my b33 which now starts first kick (or 2nd, or 3rd)
what Bill says about jetting - you can say whatever jets you want on a new one - straightforward

The prices for new ones seem reasonable, the Monoblocs are considerably more difficult to manufacture than the Concentrics.  139 to 149 pounds translated to USD is not cheap, but not a bad price really.
In my experience with amals, a NEW carb will be superior unless some sort of museum type show bike, when repops are superior to the originals, it then becomes a funny market.

I have partially sorted carbs into general piles but sorting them fully will be a lengthy process, but the key is when selling what kind of application its good for. I ran numbers on a few of the monoblocs and tagged some but for some of the obscure applications it will be difficult to price for the ones I am selling off.

I looked at the Amal site and a couple things to me stood out, One I REALLY like the Handed Monoblocs (true Lefts and Rights) and typically found on unit BSA A65s.. on Triumphs they supplied 2 lefts unless you special ordered or purchased the RH one.  I have a couple sporting model Unit Triumphs and the dillema is all stock or fit the handed carbs.  I dont see them offered, I suppose casting and tooling prevents this, but a few nutters would appreciate it.  (Any rumors to that effect or do they offer on special order?)

#2) They also on each of the monoblocs page have a "Special parts" section and I zoned in on that.  They have the finned float bowl extensions,, I have some of the originals of those and several variations, I know WEBCO here in the US made some but I suspect there was several companies making them.  The price for the new AMAL ones is not bad at all.  I Like seeing them on bikes and enjoy period custom parts...

You can hear the difference between Monoblocs and Concentrics..  Many years back Myself and another guy we restored several batches of bikes at the same time. (Assy line style) And when fiddling around with 2 T120C/TT Triumphs we built them exactly the same, But we tried one with Monoblocs and another with Concentrics and the noise was pronounced and different between the 2.  Same ignition, same timing and both tuned with Heat sensor and sniffer tubes in the exhaust so, mixtures were as optimized as an Amal can be. The monobloc carb bike had a distinctive deeper bark to it.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Online Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #11 on: 18.07. 2018 07:04 »
Some of the dedicated concours lot will go to extraordinary lengths to get a carb body with the correct stamp as in for instance 376/001 . What we all know is that a used 376 is most unlikely to have the same jetting that is was originally supplied with. Even with a supposedly correct carb, you will most likely have to make changes to the throttle slide, needle position or main jet in any case. I certainly agree with Sluggo that a new Amal monobloc is a sound investment. How many of us have had a bike where you could hear the throttle slide rattling against the carb body at tickover? Me for one.   
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 18.07. 2018 07:28 »
I've just purchased a new 376/015, they jetted it up to the original BSA specs for me.
Two days from ordering to having it in my hand.

https://surreycycles.com/carburettors/amal-monobloc-376-389/
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.07. 2018 12:54 »
Some of the dedicated concours lot will go to extraordinary lengths to get a carb body with the correct stamp as in for instance 376/001 . What we all know is that a used 376 is most unlikely to have the same jetting that is was originally supplied with. Even with a supposedly correct carb, you will most likely have to make changes to the throttle slide, needle position or main jet in any case. I certainly agree with Sluggo that a new Amal monobloc is a sound investment. How many of us have had a bike where you could hear the throttle slide rattling against the carb body at tickover? Me for one.

I bought a new Amal monobloc for my a10 project, and a new concentric for my b31 project, both worked well “out of the box”.

I’ve just sold individually the 6 old Amal 389 and 376 carbs found in the “baskets” (3 complete, 3 missing a few parts) on the local equivalent to eBay, and the total cash received for the 6 just about paid for one of the new ones. I think that’s about right, used Amal carbs are not worth much nowadays, given the price of new ones. The 6 carbs had been sitting taking up room on a shelf for a year or so and I knew I’d never want to use them, I’m glad they’ve gone!
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts