Author Topic: A10 oil pump  (Read 1305 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 oil pump
« Reply #15 on: 19.07. 2018 16:03 »
John 'Bantam' Phelan was selling new cast iron, alleged high capacity pumps a few years ago. I bought one and so did duTch. Speak nicely to John; he can be a tricky devil to deal with.
This may or may not be helpful: http://www.sumpmagazine.com/bsamotorcycles/bantam-john.htm
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #16 on: 19.07. 2018 16:25 »
Like you say  Greybeard       hard to find,          and the rest , ive been down that avenue ,         *conf* TW
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 19.07. 2018 16:34 »
Changed my Primary chaincase oil for Westway SAE20 this afternoon and afterwards took photos of oil return for you.  To show the difference took one at tickover and one with just a few revs. The out of focus silver bit on left is my torch.
(Edit) GF has original BSA oil pump.

1960 Golden Flash

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 19.07. 2018 18:01 »
nice clean oil Roger, doesn't stay like that for long in our 60/70 year old beasts.
Changed the oil in my Flash yesterday, had a can of Halfords classic 20/50 in the shed, was taken back a few decades when I put it in, it's green colour is a dead ringer for the old Duckhams  20/50 of yesteryear
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 19.07. 2018 20:57 »
The engine oil (Morris Golden Film SAE40) has been in there since I fitted a remote oil filter on 2 May (about 150 miles ago). At that time I also took the oil tank off and gave it a good clean out with petrol. It's very satisfying to see the oil still so clean  *smiley4*. I never noticed until I shone the torch in to take the photos, normally I just spin the top off, glance in to make sure oil is circulating and away I go.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 19.07. 2018 23:02 »
hi guys, Roger unfortunately the return oil flow into the tank only proves that a lot of oil is getting into the sump from somewhere? cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #21 on: 20.07. 2018 09:59 »
unfortunately the return oil flow into the tank only proves that a lot of oil is getting into the sump from somewhere?
True - if you look at that way  *eek*.
Fortunately for me my GF doesn't wet sump (well not that it's noticeable anyway), it can be left idle for weeks and the oil level is still where it should be, so I'm pretty confident that its circulating the engine as designed to - that is apart from the return re-directed back to the tank via a filter *smile*.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 21.07. 2018 03:30 »
hi guys, Roger don’t be fooled by the return oil volume it could indicate that the main bush is worn. Oil spews from around the circumference of the bush into the oil pump cavity then into the crankcase through an exit hole.
I personally would not use SAE 20 oil as the thinner the oil the more oil can escape from worn parts, i did an experiment some time ago to see the leakage from the main bush, it allows the bush to be bathed in oil which is a good thing but too much coming out would starve the rest of the engine,...just my personal opinion, cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand