Author Topic: Primary needs  (Read 1654 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Primary needs
« on: 21.07. 2018 18:14 »
Today I've had the opportunity and motivation to work in my very hot oven shed. Have I mentioned that in the UK we are having a very unusually hot summer?

I last used my bike to do a BSAOC weekend. I noticed while I was away that I had a leak from the Primary case, so today. I took the cover off and found the inside as dry as a witches tit! The chain is knackered for sure. I can probably buy a new duplex chain. More worrying is the Clutch Chainwheel, (67-3271) which feels rather hooked. I'll put a Wanted Ad in the appropriate place but has anyone got anything useful to say about this? Can I try to smooth off the hooking with a file?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Primary needs
« Reply #1 on: 21.07. 2018 19:35 »
Hi GB, in my humble opinion you'd be best replacing the chainwheel cos if it's not right it'll quickly destroy your newly purchased chain  *sad2* , as will the hooked one if you leave it.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 21.07. 2018 20:13 »
Hi GB, in my humble opinion you'd be best replacing the chainwheel cos if it's not right it'll quickly destroy your newly purchased chain  *sad2* , as will the hooked one if you leave it.
I understand that the hooked clutch sprocket will knacker the new chain. I'm having trouble with your post Roger; you seem to be referring to two items. The engine sprocket is ok. Is that what you mean when you say chainwheel?  *conf*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 21.07. 2018 21:15 »
Is that what you mean when you say chainwheel?  *conf*

Not engine sprocket, what you referred to - the clutch chainwheel.

I was referring to your question about smoothing off the hooks with a file on your hooked one - but probably didn't make myself very clear.

1960 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #4 on: 21.07. 2018 22:00 »
Crikey GB, you run over any chinamen lately?
The primary doesn't hold much oil so if a leak is detected it should be checked quickly. Must have been dry for a while to knacker the chain and chainwheel. The adjusting slipper would look a bit 2nd hand as well. This running dry would produce enough heat to do the damage. May I suggest my nylon slipper mod when your putting it all back together. The DeGroot one looks good.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 21.07. 2018 22:34 »

That's a bit crazy GB- surely you can't have forgotten to fill it after the rebuild- especially with indication of a leak, but you also Shirley would have noticed *that* much of a leak sooner.. *conf2*

* sorry Shirley *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.07. 2018 22:46 »
Crikey GB, you run over any chinamen lately?
The primary doesn't hold much oil so if a leak is detected it should be checked quickly. Must have been dry for a while to knacker the chain and chainwheel. The adjusting slipper would look a bit 2nd hand as well. This running dry would produce enough heat to do the damage. May I suggest my nylon slipper mod when your putting it all back together. The DeGroot one looks good.
Cheers
I don't know why it leaked so badly; I've never had the primary leak, (much) before. I reckon I did maybe 400 miles after I put oil in the case. The weather was very hot over that time; maybe that helped the oil escape. I had replaced the seal behind the clutch. I suspect the leak was from one or more of the case screws, (the oil has stained the case below the screws). I'll have to remember to apply sealant to the screw heads when I put it back on. When I opened it, the inside of the case was dry and coated in red, (ATF) dust! Nasty! The tensioner is scored but looks usable. The engine sprocket looks ok. The chain is deffo stretched/knacked.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 21.07. 2018 22:50 »
That's a bit crazy GB- surely you can't have forgotten to fill it after the rebuild- especially with indication of a leak, but you also Shirley would have noticed *that* much of a leak sooner.. *conf2*
I put oil in the case before I set off for South Wales. I saw some leakage but decided that it would last until I got home.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline kiwipom

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 21.07. 2018 23:05 »
hi G.B. ( dry as a witches tit ) never heard of that one before, maybe time to change to `Belt Drive clutch` cheers
A10.G.Flash(cafe racer)Honda 250 vtr. Yamaha Virago XV920.

War! what is it good for?Absolutely nothing, Edwin Star.
NewZealand

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 21.07. 2018 23:13 »
hi G.B. ( dry as a witches tit ) never heard of that one before,
It's a long time since that phrase has come into my head. It's a good one, eh?
maybe time to change to `Belt Drive clutch` cheers
Mm, maybe. I've just ordered a clutch sprocket/basket from De Groot. I've had no problems with the primary until this!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #10 on: 22.07. 2018 08:31 »
Unfortunately I don't think(that's normal) there's a belt drive setup for a plunger. BUT apparently a Notrun clutch will fit the plunger mainshaft and there's belt kits for them.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 22.07. 2018 08:38 »
Unfortunately I don't think(that's normal) there's a belt drive setup for a plunger. BUT apparently a Notrun clutch will fit the plunger mainshaft and there's belt kits for them.
Cheers
How would you tension the belt?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 22.07. 2018 08:59 »
hi G.B. ( dry as a witches tit ) never heard of that one before,
It's a long time since that phrase has come into my head. It's a good one, eh?
I've always said "flat as a witches tit" and dry as a kangaroos jock strap.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 22.07. 2018 09:10 »

Cheers

Not sure which (particular) bit isn't normal, but yes a Noturn clutch centre will fit the shaft, but the chainwheel diameter is too big, so physically won't fit and the ratio would be crap anyway...I had one to play with but it seems to have gone awol  *conf2*

....and there's belt kits for them...

Belt drive kits for Plungers ??? yahoo, that'd be noithe.?....but.....$$$,$$$,$$$........ *eek*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #14 on: 22.07. 2018 20:56 »
G'day duTch.
Meaning there's a belt kit for Notrun clutches.The clutch on my Cafe is a Notrun diaphragm type with a center made for the s/a shaft. Haven't had to adjust it in 10 years of abuse.
GB, I'd suggest a new set of rollers as well.Cheers 
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7