Author Topic: Sony Discatron...? (nothing to do with BSA)  (Read 187 times)

Online duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Sony Discatron...? (nothing to do with BSA)
« on: 24.07. 2018 10:17 »

On the wireless today/tonight, is a comedy segment with a topic the "greatest fails in portable music' or similar...and the hook was the walkman, but I called in and suggested my Sisters' win...

Maybe someone knows these; In the late '60's, one of my sisters won a competition on the local wireless radio station and the prize was a Sony 'Discatron/Diskatron/???? has anyone here heard of these...?? I don't think they really 'took off'- except to the depths of oblivion.... *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline a10gf

• Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Re: Sony Discatron...? (nothing to do with BSA)
« Reply #1 on: 24.07. 2018 10:49 »
Norway & France, Alpes Maritimes. A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a more difficult problem"

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.07. 2018 11:06 »

Wowsers yeah...the first one looks most like I remember, but a little more hi-tech...(more knobs), I only remember a Volume knob and a eject button- I think...but fairly much that's the ticket *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.07. 2018 11:47 »
A friend I knew had a 45rpm disc player fitted in the dash of his VW Beetle. Maybe the unit was based on the Sony device or vica versa

Online Bsareg

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 24.07. 2018 13:57 »
I had a car type record player for 45s (might still be in barn). Not a great sound, bad roads caused the needle to jump and turning too fast caused the record speed to vary but it was "cool" at the time, bit like those self lighting Deca cigarettes that stank to high heaven but were the "in thing" for a while.
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Online duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.07. 2018 21:55 »

My sisters one was carry-around portable with a handle about 12" x 10" x 3-4"....fairly much like in the photo here;
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-discatron-portable-record-167502660     
Australia